Erik Johnson (pitcher)
|San Diego Padres|
December 30, 1989 |
Mountain View, California
|September 4, 2013, for the Chicago White Sox|
(through August 15, 2016)
|Earned run average||5.28|
Erik Craig Johnson (born December 30, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the San Diego Padres organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Chicago White Sox and Padres.
Chicago White Sox
Johnson played college baseball at University of California, Berkeley and was drafted in the 2nd round by the Chicago White Sox during the 2011 MLB Draft. He started his career with the Rookie-Level Great Falls Voyagers in 2011. He only pitched in two games and two innings during the 2011 season. In 2012, Johnson started the season with Class A Kannapolis Intimidators but was later promoted to Class A-Advanced Winston-Salem Dash.
Johnson finished the 2012 season with a combined record of 6-5 during 17 starts, 92 1⁄3 innings, 2.53 ERA, 82 hits, 29 walks and 87 strikeouts. At the start of the 2013 season, Johnson was ranked the White Sox #3 prospect. He started the season at Double-A Birmingham Barons. After going 8-2 in 14 starts, 84 2⁄3 innings, 2.23 ERA, 57 hits, 21 walks and 74 strikeouts, he was promoted to Triple-A Charlotte Knights.
Johnson made his MLB debut with the White Sox on September 4, 2013.
San Diego Padres
On June 4, 2016, Johnson and Fernando Tatis Jr were traded to the San Diego Padres in exchange for James Shields. After the trade, he was demoted to AAA but was called up to pitch in the Padres rotation a week later. Through his first four starts with the Padres, Johnson was 0-4 with an ERA of 9.15 while allowing more than four runs in each start. He was placed on the disabled list on July 1st. On October 11, 2016, it was announced that Johnson would miss the entire 2017 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. On December 16, Johnson signed a new minor league contract with the Padres.
- Lydon, Greg (June 9, 2011). "Former Los Altos High Baseball Star Selected in MLB Draft". Losaltos.patch.com. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Josh Feldman. "Johnson promoted, Mustain to Kannapolis". Milb.com. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "White Sox 2013 Prospect Watch". Chicago.whitesox.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Pitching prospects Erik Johnson, Scott Snodgress looking to impress White Sox". Suntimes.com. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Barons' Eric Johnson dominates Suns' batters". Jacksonville.com. May 25, 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Curtright, Guy. "SL notes: Johnson solidifies his stuff". Milb.com. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Van Schouwen, Daryl (June 4, 2016). "Padres acquire Erik Johnson in James Shields trade". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (December 16, 2016). "Minor MLB Transactions: 12/16/16". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 17, 2016.