Erik La Prade
Erik La Prade is an American free-lance journalist, poet and non-fiction writer, living in New York City.
His most recent poetry collection, Movie Logic, was published by Poets Wear Prada in 2013. A chapbook titled False Confessions was published by Propaganda Press in 2011. Poets Wear Prada issued an earlier chapbook, SWATCHES, in 2008. La Prade's first book, Things Maps Don’t Show, was published in 1995; his second, Figure Studies, in 1999. His poems have appeared in Hot Summer Nights: A Collection of Erotic Poetry and Prose (Inner Child Press, 2012), Wildflowers, a Woodstock mountain poetry anthology (Woodstock, NY: Shivistan Publishing), Artist and Influence, Fish Drum, The Hat, The Reading Room, The Sienese Shredder and The New York Times. He has also served as Poetry Editor for The Reading Room.
La Prade's poem, "Baudelaire, Ashbery, Updike," earned Things Maps Don’t Show (Del Mar, CA: Aegis Press, 1995, pp. 43–44) a place in the Ashbery Research Center (ARC) archive of Bard College. ARC's copy of the book is shelved with a copy of correspondence from La Prade.
A collection of La Prade's interviews, Breaking Through: Richard Bellamy and The Green Gallery, 1960–1965, was published in 2010 by MidMarch Arts Press. The book traces the history of Bellamy's celebrated art gallery through interviews with twenty-three of its exhibited artists including Claes Oldenburg, James Rosenquist, and Frank Stella. A frequently cited source of information on the gallery, the book is archived at both the library of the Museum of Modern Art and at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Thomas J. Watson Library. La Prade has also published articles and interviews in Art Critical, The Brooklyn Rail, NY Arts Magazine, Rain Taxi: A Review of Books, Night Magazine, Captured: A Film/Video History of The Lower East Side (Seven Story Press, 2005), and The Outlaw Bible of American Essays (Thunder's Mouth Press, 2006).
La Prade not only frequently writes about art and artists, he occasionally makes art. His photo, "A High Line Experience," appears in Lid Magazine #8 archived at the School of Visual Arts Library Picture & Periodicals Collections.
Erik La Prade received his B.A. and M.A. from City College.
False Confessions Palo Alto, CA: Alternating Current (Propaganda Press), 2011
Things Maps Don’t Show Del Mar, CA: Aegis Press, 1995
- The Erotic Writers (2012). Hot Summer Nights: A Collection of Erotic Poetry and Prose. Inner Child Press. p. 43. ISBN 978-0615670935.
- "SHIVASTAN PUBLISHING. WOODSTOCK, NY". shivastan.org.
- Solomon, Barbara Probst (1 May 2006). "The Reading Room/Six". Great Marsh Press – via Google Books.
- "Erik La Prade - Poems - The Sienese Shredder #3". sienese-shredder.com.
- Solomon, Barbara Probst (1 June 2009). "The Reading Room/8". Great Marsh Press – via Google Books.
- "Catalog of the Ashbery Research Center Archive".
- La Prade, Eric; Bellamy, Richard (12 December 2018). "Breaking through: Richard Bellamy and the Green Gallery,1960 - 1965: twenty-three interviews". Midmarch Arts Press – via arcade.nyarc.org Library Catalog.
- "Thomas J. Watson Library / All". library.metmuseum.org.
- "Erik La Prade, Author at artcritical".
- Prade, Erik La. "The Seeing Word: An Interview with Robert Whitman". The Brooklyn Rail.
- "Erik La Prade interviews Susan Weil," NY Arts Magazine, September/October 2006
- "Erik La Prade interviews artist Peter Young" NY Arts Magazine, 2007
- "Rain Taxi: A Review of Books, Online Edition: Summer, 2004, "The Poetry in Something, an interview with Gerard Malanga"".
- "NIGHT ISSUE #50". www.nightmag.com.
- "NIGHT ISSUE #47". www.nightmag.com.
- "NIGHT ISSUE #45". www.nightmag.com.
- Patterson, Clayton, ed. (2005). Captured: A Film/Video History of The Lower East Side. Seven Story Press. pp. 87, 35, 57]. ISBN 978-1583226742.
- The Outlaw Bible of American Essays edited by Alan Kaufman (Thunder's Mouth Press, 2006) ISBN 978-1560259350
- Lid Magazine #8
- Visual Arts Library Picture & Periodicals Collections: Lid Magazine
- La Prade, Eric (12 December 2018). "False confessions". Propaganda Press – via Open WorldCat.
- La Prade, Eric (12 December 2018). "Figure studies: poems". Linear Arts Books – via Open WorldCat.
- La Prade, Eric (12 December 1994). "Things maps don't show" – via Open WorldCat.
- BREAKING THROUGH: Richard Bellamy and The Green Gallery, 1960–1965: Twenty-three Interviews edited by Erik La Prade (New York: MidMarch Arts Press, 2010)
- Book Review of Breaking Through: "Art Books in Review" by Greg Lindquist (The Brooklyn Rail); Art Seen, Nov. 2010
- "J Journal, New Writing on Justice, Volume 5 Number 2, Fall 2012, Biannual" Review by John Palen, New Pages, Literary Magazine Reviews, Literary Magazine Reviews, April 15, 2013: Praise for La Prade's contribution
- WorldCat: Most widely held works by Eric La Prade
- Poetry Thin Air Interview - Scopino / La Prade - YouTube
- Recording of Anne Cammon Fiero's WKCR (89.9 FM NY) radio show Art Waves featuring Erik La Prade
- "Interviewing the Interviewer: Erik LaPrade on Breaking Through"
- "METROPOLITAN DIARY by Georgia Dullea (The New York Times); Living Desk, May 2, 1984, Wednesday, Late City Final Edition, Section C, Page 2, Column 1, 967 words: La Prade, proofreader for New York City Law Department at 100 Church Street
- "If the World's a Stage, A Theater Can Be Home" by Ron Alexander (The New York Times); Style, May 6, 1990: La Prade, editorial assistant at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, talks about attending home-cabaret evenings.
- "An Underground Scene Celebrates Aboveground" Knickerbocker by Gary Shapiro, The New York Sun, August 25, 2005. La Prade, poet and contributor, at launch of "Captured: A Film/Video History of the Lower East Side" (Seven Stories) at the Clayton Gallery.
- NY Daily News, Showbiz, "Perfect 10: This week's news & to-do's," Monday, July 9, 2007, 4:00 AM: La Prade at READING RAINBOW: The Housing Works Bookstore Café on Wed. June 11, 2007
- Christie's Sale 2046 Lot 241, "Bathers" by Pavel Tchelitchew(1898-1957): La Prade confirmed painting's authenticity."
- Christie's Sale 2690 Lot 31 Skull by Pavel Tchelitchew (RUSSIAN, 1898-1957): La Prade is acknowledged for cataloging the work.
- Erik La Prade at Day 5 of Martha Rosler's Meta-Monumental Garage Sale November 17–30, 2012, Photo by Franco Frassetti (MoMA), November 23, 2012 using a Canon EOS 40D.
- Artists Knox Martin (L) and Eric La Prade attend the Ron Gorchov Opening at Nicholas Robinson Gallery on October 23, 2008 in New York City. (Photographer: Will Ragozzino/Getty Images North America)
- La Prade with art curator and model Mie Iwatsuki at private preview in celebration of Fred Wilson at The Pace Gallery on March 16 2012 in New York City (Photographer: Will Ragozzino/BFAnyc.com)