|Date of birth:||November 17, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Rolling Hills, California|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Rolling Hills (CA) Palos Verdes Peninsula|
|NFL draft:||2010 / Round: 7 / Pick: 253|
|Career NFL statistics|
He played defensive end in college football at Stanford. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft, converted to fullback in his rookie season, and played for the team for four years. In March 2014, the New Orleans Saints signed Lorig to a four-year contract.
There are the two other players from Lorig's high school team that are currently playing in the NFL: Tight End Craig Stevens and Center Collin Baxter.
He played defensive end in college football at Stanford. At 6-foot-4, 280 pounds, he ran the 40-yard (37 m) dash in 4.76 seconds, and was known for having a quick burst off the line. Lorig did not work out while at the combine due to injury. In his first two years at Stanford, Lorig played tight end and wore number 80. In his freshman campaign, Lorig played in all 12 games where he contributed on special teams and served as the offense's blocking TE, often lining up in the backfield as an H-back/fullback. He recorded 10 catches for 100 yards. He was then asked by the new coaching staff to switch to defensive end for his junior year and proceeded to record 39 tackles, including 6 tackles for loss and 3 sacks in 2008, and had 37 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in 2007. His NFL prospect status took a severe hit in 2009, when he sat out most of the season because of a torn pectoral muscle.
In his five years at Stanford he started 25 of 29 games, and had 95 tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, and 4.5 sacks, earning Honorable Mention All-Pac 10 as a junior, and All-Pac All-Academic team twice (2008, 2009).
As an undergraduate at Stanford, Lorig majored in Public Policy, a sub-department within the School of Economics, with an emphasis in Technology Policy, and minored in Film and Media Studies. As of March 2011[update], he was pursuing a master's degree in Digital Media Interaction at Stanford during his off-seasons.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2010–2013)
Lorig switched from defensive end to fullback/tight end on October 3, 2010. He made his NFL debut at Cincinnati a week later, and had his first NFL start against Carolina on November 14, 2010, starting at fullback. In 2010 he played in 9 games, starting 1, and in 2011 he played in 16 games, starting 7.
On September 9, 2012, he tied for first on the team with a career-high four receptions. He had his first career touchdown reception at Minnesota on October 25, 2012. In 2012 he played in all 16 games, starting 7. In 2013 he played in 15 games, starting 9.
New Orleans Saints (2014)
- "Erik Lorig, Green Yogi of The Month". Thegreenyogimb.com. February 28, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Kaplan's Korner". Jweekly.com. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "2011 NFL Football Preview". Jewish Sports Review 8 (87): 6–7. September–October 2011.
- "Jews in the News: Erik Lorig, Jonah Hill & Jeffrey Goldberg". Letmypeoplegrow.org. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Player Bio: Erik Lorig". Stanford University. Archived from the original on January 7, 2012. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- "New Orleans Saints, free agent fullback Erik Lorig agree to 4-year deal". Fox News. October 1, 2006. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "New Orleans Saints agree to terms with fullback Erik Lorig on four-year contract". Neworleanssaints.com. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Carroll, Chuck (June 18, 2010). "Bucs Sign Two Draft Picks, Release Crowell and Two Others". Footballnewsnow.com. Archived from the original on June 24, 2010. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- "Former USF Bulls star Matt Grothe excited about first day of Tampa Bay Buccaneers minicamp". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Erik Lorig, Stanford, NFL Draft". CBS Sports. Retrieved September 22, 2010.[dead link]
- Campbell, Charlie (March 18, 2011). "Lorig Works on Mastering Fullback and Masters Degree". Pewter Report. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- Biggs, Brad (June 18, 2010). "Bucs sign 7th rounder Lorig, cut two". nationalfootballpost.com. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- Erik Lorig. "Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Erik Lorig". Buccaneers.com. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Erik Lorig, FB for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers". Nfl.com. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Buccaneers want to re-sign Erik Lorig and Jonathan Casillas". Bucs Nation. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Mike Triplett, "Saints to sign new fullback Erik Lorig", ESPN, March 18, 2014.
- "ERIK LORIG". foxsports.com. Retrieved March 10, 2016.