27 April 1967 |
Inverness, Scotland, UK
|Spouse(s)||Caitlin McDougall (1999–present)|
Erik Thomson (born 27 April 1967) is a Scottish-born New Zealand actor known for playing Hades in the television series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Dr. Mitch Stevens in All Saints and Dave Rafter in Packed to the Rafters. He won an Australian Film Institute Award for his performance in the Australian feature film Somersault.
Erik Thomson was born in Inverness, Scotland, UK and his family emigrated to New Zealand when he was seven. He studied performing arts at the New Zealand Drama School in Wellington and English Literature and drama at Victoria University of Wellington.
Thomson had a number of television roles in New Zealand, starting with Marlin Bay a drama set in a casino and resort. He won a wider fan following for his occasional appearances as the God Hades in both the Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess series, which were both filmed in New Zealand.
In 1995 he moved to Australia and landed regular roles in Pacific Drive, medical series All Saints and The Alice. He has had guest roles on such series as Wildside and Always Greener. Since 2008, Thomson has played Dave Rafter on the Seven Network dramedy series Packed to the Rafters.
His movie credits include the role of soldier Simon Mollison in the 2008 film The Black Balloon with Toni Collette. He appeared in Somersault with Abbie Cornish and Sam Worthington, which scored him an AFI Award, and also featured in Accidents Happen with Geena Davis.
Thomson won an Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in Somersault, and was nominated for his work in The Black Balloon. On television he has been nominated for a Logie Award five times, and has won one a Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor.
Awards for Erik Thomson include:
- 2003: Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor (for All Saints)
- 2004: Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (for Somersault)
- 2002: Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor (for All Saints)
- 2004: Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor (for All Saints)
- 2004: FCCA Award for the Best Supporting Actor - Male (for Somersault)
- 2008: Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for The Black Balloon
- 2009: Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor (for Packed to the Rafters)
- 2010: Silver Logie for Most Popular Actor (for Packed to the Rafters)
- Cuthbertson, Ian (20 June 2009). "First Impressions: Erik Thomson, actor". The Australian. Retrieved 2009-07-08.[dead link]
- Clune, Richard (7 September 2008). "Packed to the Rafters' Erik Thomson rates being a dad". The Daily Telegraph (Australia). Retrieved 2009-07-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erik Thomson.|