1977 (age 42–43)
|Education||BA in Political Sciences, Lund University, 1999|
Erika Lust (born 1977) is a Swedish erotic film director, screenwriter and producer. Alongside others such as Petra Joy and Anna Span, Lust has been instrumental in promoting the aims of the feminist pornography movement. She has written several books. She has been living and working in Barcelona since 2000.
Her film Cabaret Desire won her the Feminist Porn Award for Movie of the Year in 2012. It also won the CineKink Audience Choice Award for Best Narrative Feature. The first two compilations of her XConfessions series have won her the Feminist Porn Awards for Hottest Straight Vignette in 2014 and 2015 respectively. In 2015, a theatrical cut of XConfessions was screened at Chicago International Film Festival and at Raindance Film Festival in London. Following that, Lust held two sold-out screenings of the XConfessions Theatrical Cut at Kino Babylon in Berlin in February 2016, and went on to win the Best Narrative Short CineKink Award for short film An Appointment with My Master.
She went to Lund University, where she studied Political Sciences. While there, she came across Linda Williams' 1989 book Hard Core: Power, Pleasure, and the "Frenzy of the Visible", which later came to strongly influence her filmmaking. She also cites Jean Jacques Annaud's The Lover as a source of inspiration. She graduated with a BA in 1999, with a specialization in human rights and feminism. She moved to Barcelona in 2000, where she worked in production houses and took night courses in filmmaking.
Lust shot her first film, the explicit short The Good Girl, in 2004. It was released for free on the internet and downloaded over 2 million times in the first month. The film was shown at the Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival the next year and won her a Ninfa Award.
In 2005, after this initial success, she founded her video production company Lust Films. The company has produced erotic short films and compilations steadily from then on. Five Hot Stories For Her, an anthology of five vignettes including The Good Girl, won the Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival's 2007 Best Spanish Screenplay award, the Venus Berlin Fair's 2007 Eroticline Award for Best Adult Film for Women, and the 2008 Feminist Porn Award for Movie of the Year. Since then she has been a regular on the adult cinema festival circuit, and in 2020 one of her films came to the cinema on a regular basis for the first time.
Lust's films are characterized by carefully cast actors and high standards of production in adult film. Lust believes explicit film can be an educational tool besides being pleasurable and can help us better understand our sexuality, to live more freely and naturally. She hopes to influence viewers' conceptions of gender roles in sexuality. She considers pornography to be the "most important discourse on gender and sexuality".
In 2010, Lust opened an online erotic cinema called Lust Cinema, exhibiting her own films and those of other authors of the new wave of explicit films. She started the first crowdsourced project in the history of adult cinema in 2013, calling it XConfessions. It has become her main source of work in the years thereafter. She has also written several books on eroticism and sexuality; her first book Good Porn was published in 2009 by Seal Press. Lust runs an online store offering her books and films, as well as sex toys and other erotic wares. In February 2016, her company had about 15 employees.
In December 2014, Lust hosted a TED-talk at TEDxVienna. In the talk, entitled "It's Time For Porn To Change", Lust urges people to question the modern state of porn, its messages and role as a sexual educator. The TED talk launched the start of her campaign #changeporn, an online campaign intended to challenge and change the porn norm. As of September 2020, the talk has been watched nearly one million times on YouTube.
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit the world in early 2020 and societies went into lockdown, Lust proclaimed May "Masturbation Month", encouraging people to safely stay at home and enjoy themselves with special offerings, announcing on 30 April 2020 on Instagram: 'I've created a one month calendar full of free sex ed guides, video tutorials, articles and music & film recommendations to keep you busy. Also, stay tuned - this month there will be @xconfessions and @lust.cinema giveaways and surprises to help make your solo sex sessions more interesting.'
Lust is currently producing short pornographic films based on crowd-sourced stories. Viewers can leave anonymous confessions on the project's website. Each month, Lust handpicks two stories and turn them into cinematic short films. As of September 2020, she has published 21 volumes of XConfessions shorts.
XConfessions has been presented at the Berlin Porn Festival 2014. In 2015, a theatrical cut of XConfessions was screened along with a talk by Lust at the Raindance Film Festival in London and at the Chicago International Film Festival. In February 2016, Lust held two sold-out screenings of the XConfessions Theatrical Cut at Babylon in Berlin, and won Best Narrative Short at the CineKink Awards New York for BDSM short film An Appointment with My Master.
In September 2018, in an interview by Tracy Clark-Flory for Jezebel.com, performer Rooster claimed to have had their sexual boundaries pushed by a director on set of a film being made for Erika Lust's XConfessions series in June 2017. Erika Lust disputed the claims and responded with a statement on her website. The allegations led to the creation of the "Guest Director's Guide to Working With Performers" in Spring 2018 (to which Rooster contributed) and a "Performer's Bill of Rights" (September 2018) by Erika Lust Films.
- 2008: Barcelona Sex Project
- 2010: Life Love Lust
- 2011: Cabaret Desire
- 2019: The Intern-A Summer of Lust
Compilations of shorts
- 2007: Five Hot Stories For Her incl. Something about Nadia
- 2013: XConfessions vol. 1
- 2014: XConfessions vol. 2 incl. The Art of Spanking
- 2014: XConfessions vol. 3
- 2015: XConfessions vol. 4
- 2015: XConfessions vol. 5 incl. An Appointment with my Master
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 6
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 7
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 8
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 9
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 10
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 11
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 12
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 13
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 14
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 15
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 16
- 2004: The Good Girl
- 2009: Handcuffs
- 2010: Love Me Like You Hate Me (made with Venus O'Hara)
- 2011: Room 33 (sequel to Handcuffs)
- 2009: X: a Woman's Guide to Good Porn (alternate title: Good Porn: A Woman's Guide)
- 2010: Erotic Bible to Europe
- 2010: Love Me Like You Hate Me with Venus O'Hara
- 2011: Shooting Sex: How to Make an Outstanding Sex Movie with Your Partner (ebook also available in Polish)
- 2011: Six Female Voices with Antia Pagant
- 2013: La Canción de Nora (Nora's Song)
- 2013: Let's Make a Porno
Honours and awards
|2005||Barcelona Intl Erotic Film Festival||Ninfa Award||First Prize for Short X-Films||The Good Girl||Won|
|2007||Barcelona Intl Erotic Film Festival||Ninfa Award||Best Screenplay||Five Hot Stories for Her||Won|
|Venus Fair Berlin||Eroticline Award||Best Adult Film for Women||Won|
|2008||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Short||Something about Nadia||Honorable Mention|
|Venus Fair Berlin||Eroticline Award||Best Erotic Documentary||Barcelona Sex Project||Won|
|2009||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Honorable Mention|
|2010||Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Experimental Short Film||Handcuffs||Won|
|Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Sexiest Short Film||Won|
|2011||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Life Love Lust||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Short||Room 33||Honorable Mention|
|Orgazmik Zürich||Orgazmik Award||Best Film (Couples)||Cabaret Desire||Won|
|2012||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Audience Choice Award||Best Narrative Feature||Won|
|Cupido Norway||Cupido Filmpris||Handcuffs||Won|
|2014||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Hottest Straight Vignette Series||XConfessions vol. 1||Won|
|Fetisch Film Festival Germany||Fetisch Award||Best Feature-Length||Won|
|2015||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||The Art of Spanking||Nominated|
|Hottest Straight Vignette||XConfessions vol. 2||Won|
|2016||Cinekink New York||Cinekink Awards||Best Narrative Short Films||An Appointment with my Master||Won|
|2009||Rated X Amsterdam||Barcelona Sex Project|
|Circuito Off Film Festival Venice||Handcuffs|
|2012||Erotikos Film Festival Jamaica||Cabaret Desire|
|2014||Berlin Porn Film Festival||XConfessions vol. 1|
|Self Serve's Pornotopia Festival New Mexico|
|Film Festival of Gender Mexico||XConfessions vol. 2|
|Only Porn Lyon||XConfessions|
|2015||La Fête du Slip Switzerland|
|Cinekink New York||The Art of Spanking|
|Raindance Film Festival London||XConfessions|
|Chicago International Film Festival||XConfessions|
|2016||Babylon Berlin Premiere||XConfessions Theatrical Cut|
- "It's time for porn to change l Erika Lust l TEDxVienna". Youtube. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Alilunas, Peter (10 April 2014). "The necessary future of adult media industries". Creative Industries Journal. 7 (1): 62–66. doi:10.1080/17510694.2014.892287.
- "„Porno muss nicht ausbeuterisch sein" – Erika Lust über faire Produktionsbedingungen". Arte Tracks (in German). Arte. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Virginie Sélavy (6 February 2016). "XConfessions: interview with Erika Lust". Electric Sheep Magazine. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Erika Lust:XConfessions". Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Nadja Sayej (8 March 2016). "A Woman's Fight to Prove Porn Can Be Feminist". Newsweek. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "awards". CineKink.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- bobe.barsi (18 May 2012). "Porn director Erika Lust: 'I Felt Uncomfortable Like All Women When They're Watching Porn'". Café Babel. Archived from the original on 15 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- McClure, Kelly (24 April 2012). "Erika Lust Is Occupying Feminist Porn". Vice. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "About". Erika Lust. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- ""Erika Lust: European Entrepreneur, Pornographer,and Feminist" by Richard Moreland 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Erika Lust Barcelona". B-Guided Barcelona. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Därför blev svenska feministen Erika Lust porrfilmsregissör". Dagens Nyheter (in Northern Sami). 16 December 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Ganadores FICEB 2007". ficeb.com (in Spanish). Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival. 2007. Archived from the original on 3 February 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Erika Lust: la pornografia è donna Oggi "Hard Time" al Videodrome". Alto Adige (in Italian). 8 September 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "2008 Feminist Porn Awards Winners". FeministPornAwards.com. 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- SZ-Kritikern (23 September 2020). "Die Starts der Woche". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Erika Lust: Changing the Porn We Watch". Liberator Unzipped. 23 January 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Books by Erika Lust". Amazon.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Lust, Erika. "Groundbreaking Books. By Women. For Women". Seal Press. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Erika Lust (18 May 2020). "Erika Lust on her favourite sex toys and how to use them". Dazed. Dazed Media. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Erika Lust (3 December 2014). "It's Time for Porn to Change" (Motion picture). YouTube. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Erdmann, Nicola (17 December 2014). "Ich will eine andere Art Erwachsenenfilm machen, Die Welt, Nicola Erdmann". Die Welt.
- Maxime Smit (7 August 2016). "Porno voor vrouwen: geloofwaardig en expliciet, maar geen knuffelseks". Het Parool (in Dutch). Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Home to Crowd-Sourced Indie Adult Short Films XConfessions". XConfessions. Erika Lust Films. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- ""XCONFESSIONS von: Erika Lust" Screening". pornfilmfestivalberlin.de.
- "Pourquoi je continue à regarder du porno". Libération. 15 December 2014.
- "A Conversation with Erika Lust". Chicago International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015.
- "Erika Lust XConfessions". Raindance Film Festival. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015.
- Tracy Clark-Flory (20 September 2018). "Is 'Feminist' Porn Getting Its #MeToo Moment?". Jezebel.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Erika Lust (21 August 2020). "(UPDATED June 12, 2020) Official Statement on Rooster's Allegations". ErikaLust.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Jak nakręcić porno. Praktyczny poradnik filmowania seksu". Kinky Winky. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "FICEB 2005 Awards". Archived from the original on 3 October 2009.
- "The FICEB Ninfa, Tacón de Aguja and HeatGay Awards". Archived from the original on 11 October 2007.
- Schaffrath, Axel (24 October 2007). "Winners of the eLINE Awards and DAVIDs 2007" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 December 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "FPA 2008". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 3 September 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Die Gewinner des eLine Award 2008". German-adult-news.com. 17 October 2008. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Awards". Cinekink. 27 August 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "FPA 2010". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 3 September 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "2011 Good For Her Feminist Porn Award Winners". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 4 December 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "Orgazmik Award 11". Orgazmik. Archived from the original on 22 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Cabaret Desire". Feminist Porn Awards. 22 December 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Erika Lusts "Handcuffs" vant Cupido Filmpris 2012". Cupido. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "XConfessions". Feminist Porn Awards. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "7. Fetisch Film Festival in Kiel". TraumGmbH. Archived from the original on 11 August 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "The Art of Spanking". Feminist Porn Awards. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "XConfessions vol. 2". Feminist Porn Awards. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "xconfessions.com". Feminist Porn Awards. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- CineKink. "cinekink". cinekink. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Program". Pornotopia. Self Serve Sexuality Resource Center. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.