This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2021)
1977 (age 43–44)
|Education||BA in Political Sciences, Lund University, 1999|
Erika Lust (born 1977) is a Swedish erotic film director, screenwriter and producer. Since the debut of her first indie erotic film The Good Girl in 2004, Lust has been instrumental in promoting the aims of the feminist pornography movement through capturing the female gaze, and a dedication to female pleasure. Lust created Erika Lust Films whose company values towards an ethical production process set the company apart from mainstream pornography sites. She has played a key role in advocating the importance to pay for porn to ensure safe working conditions and fair pay for sex workers. She has written several books, as well as directed and produced a number of award-winning films.
Her film Cabaret Desire won her the Feminist Porn Award for Movie of the Year in 2012. It also won the CineKink Audience Choice Award for Best Narrative Feature. The first two compilations of her XConfessions series have won her the Feminist Porn Awards for Hottest Straight Vignette in 2014 and 2015 respectively. In 2015, a theatrical cut of XConfessions was screened at Chicago International Film Festival and at Raindance Film Festival in London. Following that, Lust held two sold-out screenings of the XConfessions Theatrical Cut at Kino Babylon in Berlin in February 2016, and went on to win the Best Narrative Short CineKink Award for short film An Appointment with My Master.
In 2020, her film The Intern received three film nominations for the XBIZ Europa Awards including Feature Movie of the Year, Best Acting and Best Sex Scene in a Feature Movie. Her film Super Femmes was also nominated for Best Lesbian Sex Scene and was the first time in the history of XBIZ Europa Awards where a BBW or trans performer were nominated in a non-genre specific category. Erika Lust Films was also nominated for Global Studio Brand of the Year, and her online streaming platform XConfessions was nominated for Erotic Site of the Year.
She went to Lund University, where she studied Political Sciences. While there, she came across Linda Williams' 1989 book Hard Core: Power, Pleasure, and the "Frenzy of the Visible", which would influence her filmmaking later. She graduated with a BA in 1999, with a specialization in human rights and feminism. After graduation she moved to Barcelona in 2000 and started studying filmmaking.
Lust shot her first film, the explicit short The Good Girl, in 2004. It was released for free on the internet and downloaded over 2 million times in the first month. The film was shown at the Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival the next year and won her a Ninfa Award.
In 2005, after this initial success, she founded her video production company Lust Films. The company has produced erotic short films and compilations steadily from then on. Five Hot Stories For Her, an anthology of five vignettes including The Good Girl, won the Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival's 2007 Best Spanish Screenplay award, the Venus Berlin Fair's 2007 Eroticline Award for Best Adult Film for Women, and the 2008 Feminist Porn Award for Movie of the Year. Since then she has been a regular on the adult cinema festival circuit, and in 2020 one of her films came to the cinema on a regular basis for the first time.
Lust's films are characterized by carefully cast actors and high standards of production in adult film. Lust believes explicit film can be an educational tool besides being pleasurable and can help us better understand our sexuality, to live more freely and naturally. She hopes to influence viewers' conceptions of gender roles in sexuality. She considers pornography to be the "most important discourse on gender and sexuality".
In 2010, Lust opened an online erotic cinema called Lust Cinema, exhibiting her own films and those of other authors of the new wave of explicit films. She started the first crowdsourced project in the history of adult cinema in 2013, calling it XConfessions. It has become her main source of work in the years thereafter. She has also written several books on eroticism and sexuality; her first book Good Porn was published in 2009 by Seal Press. Lust runs an online store offering her books and films, as well as sex toys and other erotic wares. In February 2016, her company had about 15 employees.
In 2019 Erika was named as one of the BBC's 100 Most Influential Women of the Year.
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit the world in early 2020 and societies went into lockdown, Lust proclaimed May "Masturbation Month", encouraging people to safely stay at home and enjoy themselves with special offerings, announcing on 30 April 2020 on Instagram: 'I've created a one-month calendar full of free sex ed guides, video tutorials, articles and music & film recommendations to keep you busy. Also, stay tuned - this month there will be @xconfessions and @lust.cinema giveaways and surprises to help make your solo sex sessions more interesting.'
Lust and other directors are currently producing short pornographic films based on crowd-sourced stories. Viewers can leave anonymous confessions on the project's website. Each month, Lust handpicks two stories and turn them into cinematic short films.
XConfessions has been presented at the Berlin Porn Festival 2014. In 2015, a theatrical cut of XConfessions was screened along with a talk by Lust at the Raindance Film Festival in London and at the Chicago International Film Festival. In February 2016, Lust held two sold-out screenings of the XConfessions Theatrical Cut at Babylon in Berlin, and won Best Narrative Short at the CineKink Awards New York for BDSM short film An Appointment with My Master.
Lust created Lust Cinema to challenge the current standards of the porn industry by creating and promoting adult films and series of medium, high quality storytelling that portray a realistic representation of human sexuality and sex. The video streaming service includes an extensive selection of adult cinema from production companies all around the world. As of October 2020, she has directed three Lust Cinema original series, and produced two. Likewise, she has produced multiple Lust Cinema feature films. Lust’s film The Intern on Lust Cinema was nominated for Best Acting (Lena Anderson) and Best Sex Scene in a Feature Movie (Lena Anderson and Michael Vegas) in 2020.
Formerly known as Erotic Films, Lust created Else Cinema to provide something beyond overly explicit adult cinema. Else Cinema is a video streaming service that offers soft erotica with cinematic stories. With the belief that adult cinema can be overwhelming to new viewers, Lust created Else Cinema as a way to provide soft sensual cinema for those looking for something else.
The Store by Erika Lust
Lust created The Store by Erika Lust for consumers to access an extensive library of adult films from Else Cinema, Lust Cinema and film studios around the world available for download or stream.
The Porn Conversation
After recognising porn had become de facto sex education for kids and young adults, Lust created The Porn Conversation to offer tools for parents and educators to provide education and conversations to kids and teens regarding sex and porn. The Porn Conversation provides educational tools and resources specifically designed for different age groups. Likewise, The Porn Conversation gives parents direct connections to The Porn Conversation Ambassadors who are educators, therapists and coaches.
- 2008: Barcelona Sex Project
- 2010: Life Love Lust
- 2011: Cabaret Desire
- 2019: The Intern-A Summer of Lust
Compilations of shorts
- 2007: Five Hot Stories For Her incl. Something about Nadia
- 2013: XConfessions vol. 1
- 2014: XConfessions vol. 2 incl. The Art of Spanking
- 2014: XConfessions vol. 3
- 2015: XConfessions vol. 4
- 2015: XConfessions vol. 5 incl. An Appointment with my Master
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 6
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 7
- 2016: XConfessions vol. 8
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 9
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 10
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 11
- 2017: XConfessions vol. 12
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 13
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 14
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 15
- 2018: XConfessions vol. 16
- 2019: XConfessions vol. 17
- 2019: XConfessions vol. 18
- 2019: XConfessions vol. 19
- 2019: XConfessions vol. 20
- 2020: XConfessions vol. 21
- 2020: XConfessions vol. 22
- 2020: XConfessions vol. 23
- 2020: XConfessions vol. 24
- 2020: XConfessions vol. 25
- 2004: The Good Girl
- 2009: Handcuffs
- 2010: Love Me Like You Hate Me (made with Venus O'Hara)
- 2011: Room 33 (sequel to Handcuffs)
- 2019: The Intern on Lust Cinema
- 2020: Safe Word on Lust Cinema
- 2009: X: a Woman's Guide to Good Porn (alternate title: Good Porn: A Woman's Guide)
- 2010: Erotic Bible to Europe
- 2010: Love Me Like You Hate Me with Venus O'Hara
- 2011: Shooting Sex: How to Make an Outstanding Sex Movie with Your Partner (ebook also available in Polish)
- 2011: Six Female Voices with Antia Pagant
- 2013: La Canción de Nora (Nora's Song)
- 2013: Let's Make a Porno
Honours and awards
|2005||Barcelona Intl Erotic Film Festival||Ninfa Award||First Prize for Short X-Films||The Good Girl||Won|
|2007||Barcelona Intl Erotic Film Festival||Ninfa Award||Best Screenplay||Five Hot Stories for Her||Won|
|Venus Fair Berlin||Eroticline Award||Best Adult Film for Women||Won|
|2008||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Short||Something about Nadia||Honorable Mention|
|Venus Fair Berlin||Eroticline Award||Best Erotic Documentary||Barcelona Sex Project||Won|
|2009||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Honorable Mention|
|2010||Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Experimental Short Film||Handcuffs||Won|
|Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Sexiest Short Film||Won|
|2011||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Life Love Lust||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Short||Room 33||Honorable Mention|
|Orgazmik Zürich||Orgazmik Award||Best Film (Couples)||Cabaret Desire||Won|
|2012||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Movie of the Year||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Cinekink Audience Choice Award||Best Narrative Feature||Won|
|Cupido Norway||Cupido Filmpris||Handcuffs||Won|
|2014||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||Hottest Straight Vignette Series||XConfessions vol. 1||Won|
|Fetisch Film Festival Germany||Fetisch Award||Best Feature-Length||Won|
|2015||Good for Her Toronto||Feminist Porn Award||The Art of Spanking||Nominated|
|Hottest Straight Vignette||XConfessions vol. 2||Won|
|2016||Cinekink New York||Cinekink Award||Best Narrative Short||An Appointment with my Master||Won|
|2017||Fish&Chips Film Festival, Turin||Best Short Movie XXX||Pouring Pleasure||Won|
|2018||Festival Internacional de Cine de Guadalajara, Mexico||Maguey Over the Rainbow Award||Maguey award||Erika Lust||Won|
|Festival Internacional de Cine de Puerto Vallarta||Erika Lust||Won|
|Toronto International Porn Festival||Feminist Porn Award||Most Tantalizing Trans Short||We Are The Fucking World||Won|
|Toronto International Porn Festival||Sexiest Sci-Fi||Touch Crimes||Won|
|Toronto International Porn Festival||Dazzling: Docu-Porn||Tie Me Up! A Shibari Documentary||Won|
|Toronto International Porn Festival||Moist||Won|
|Toronto International Porn Festival||Best Kink Short||Dirty Feet||Won|
|2019||Peephole Film Festival, Mexico||Best Erotic Short Film||Don't Call Me a Dick||Won|
|2020||Cinekink New York||Audience Choice Award||Best Narrative Feature||Volunteers Wanted||Won|
|Cinekink New York||Best Dramatic Short||The MILF Next Door||Won|
|La Fete du Slip Lausanne||Slip d'Or Short Film||Switch||Won|
|XBiz Awards (Europe)||Best Acting||Lena Anderson, "The Intern" (Lust Cinema)||Won|
|XBiz Awards (Europe)||Best Sex Scene-Lesbian||Estella Bathory, Luna Corazon & Natassia Dreams, "Super Femmes" (XConfessions)||Won|
|2009||Rated X Amsterdam||Barcelona Sex Project|
|Circuito Off Film Festival Venice||Handcuffs|
|2012||Erotikos Film Festival Jamaica||Cabaret Desire|
|2014||Berlin Porn Film Festival||XConfessions vol. 1|
|Self Serve's Pornotopia Festival New Mexico|
|Film Festival of Gender Mexico||XConfessions vol. 2|
|Only Porn Lyon||XConfessions|
|2015||La Fête du Slip Switzerland|
|Cinekink New York||The Art of Spanking|
|Raindance Film Festival London||XConfessions|
|Chicago International Film Festival||XConfessions|
|2016||Babylon Berlin Premiere||XConfessions Theatrical Cut|
|2017||Berlin Film Society||XConfessions Theatrical Cut|
|2018||XConfessions x Berlin Film Society, Los Angeles||XConfessions Theatrical Cut|
|2019||The Face launch, New York||XConfessions Theatrical Cut|
- "It's time for porn to change l Erika Lust l TEDxVienna". Youtube. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Alilunas, Peter (10 April 2014). "The necessary future of adult media industries". Creative Industries Journal. 7 (1): 62–66. doi:10.1080/17510694.2014.892287. S2CID 153769124.
- ""Porno muss nicht ausbeuterisch sein" – Erika Lust über faire Produktionsbedingungen". Arte Tracks (in German). Arte. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Erika Lust:XConfessions". Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Nadja Sayej (8 March 2016). "A Woman's Fight to Prove Porn Can Be Feminist". Newsweek. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Virginie Sélavy (6 February 2016). "XConfessions: interview with Erika Lust". Electric Sheep Magazine. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "awards". CineKink.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- bobe.barsi (18 May 2012). "Porn director Erika Lust: 'I Felt Uncomfortable Like All Women When They're Watching Porn'". Café Babel. Archived from the original on 15 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- McClure, Kelly (24 April 2012). "Erika Lust Is Occupying Feminist Porn". Vice. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "About". Erika Lust. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Emmanuelle, Camille (28 December 2014). "Erika Lust, la reine du porno indépendant". Les Inrockuptibles (in French). Retrieved 17 June 2021.
- ""Erika Lust: European Entrepreneur, Pornographer,and Feminist" by Richard Moreland 2010" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Erika Lust Barcelona". B-Guided Barcelona. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Därför blev svenska feministen Erika Lust porrfilmsregissör". Dagens Nyheter (in Northern Sami). 16 December 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Ganadores FICEB 2007". ficeb.com (in Spanish). Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival. 2007. Archived from the original on 3 February 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Erika Lust: la pornografia è donna Oggi "Hard Time" al Videodrome". Alto Adige (in Italian). 8 September 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "2008 Feminist Porn Awards Winners". FeministPornAwards.com. 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- SZ-Kritikern (23 September 2020). "Die Starts der Woche". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "Erika Lust: Changing the Porn We Watch". Liberator Unzipped. 23 January 2015. Archived from the original on 26 January 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Books by Erika Lust". Amazon.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Lust, Erika. "Groundbreaking Books. By Women. For Women". Seal Press. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Erika Lust (18 May 2020). "Erika Lust on her favourite sex toys and how to use them". Dazed. Dazed Media. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Erdmann, Nicola (17 December 2014). "Ich will eine andere Art Erwachsenenfilm machen, Die Welt, Nicola Erdmann". Die Welt.
- Maxime Smit (7 August 2016). "Porno voor vrouwen: geloofwaardig en expliciet, maar geen knuffelseks". Het Parool (in Dutch). Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- ""XCONFESSIONS von: Erika Lust" Screening". pornfilmfestivalberlin.de.
- "Pourquoi je continue à regarder du porno". Libération. 15 December 2014.
- "A Conversation with Erika Lust". Chicago International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015.
- "Erika Lust XConfessions". Raindance Film Festival. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015.
- "Jak nakręcić porno. Praktyczny poradnik filmowania seksu". Kinky Winky. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "FICEB 2005 Awards". Archived from the original on 3 October 2009.
- "The FICEB Ninfa, Tacón de Aguja and HeatGay Awards". Archived from the original on 11 October 2007.
- Schaffrath, Axel (24 October 2007). "Winners of the eLINE Awards and DAVIDs 2007" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 December 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "FPA 2008". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 3 September 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Die Gewinner des eLine Award 2008". German-adult-news.com. 17 October 2008. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Awards". Cinekink. 27 August 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "FPA 2010". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 3 September 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "2011 Good For Her Feminist Porn Award Winners". Good For Her. Archived from the original on 4 December 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "Orgazmik Award 11". Orgazmik. Archived from the original on 22 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Cabaret Desire". Feminist Porn Awards. 22 December 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Erika Lusts "Handcuffs" vant Cupido Filmpris 2012". Cupido. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "XConfessions". Feminist Porn Awards. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "7. Fetisch Film Festival in Kiel". TraumGmbH. Archived from the original on 11 August 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "The Art of Spanking". Feminist Porn Awards. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "XConfessions vol. 2". Feminist Porn Awards. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "xconfessions.com". Feminist Porn Awards. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Program". Pornotopia. Self Serve Sexuality Resource Center. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.