|Born||October 22, 1994|
|Residence||Broward County, Florida|
Erin DiMeglio (born October 22, 1994) is a former high school football and basketball player, who currently attends the University of Central Florida. In 2012, Erin graduated from South Plantation High School, in Plantation, Florida. As a senior at her high school, Erin became the first female quarterback in Florida high school football history, as she was the third-string quarterback for the South Plantation High School football team during the 2012 season. On September 21, 2012, DiMeglio notched the first completed pass of her career, on her second attempt in the game. However, the play accounted for a loss of yardage, with the AP citing a 5-yard loss on the down and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel stating that it accounted for a 2-yard setback. South Plantation won the game against Piper High School 41-12. On October 11, 2012, DiMeglio was crowned homecoming queen. In 2013, she received a $20,000 scholarship from Foot Locker's Scholar Athlete Program and DoSomething.org.
Her father Tom, taught her to throw a football as a child, and in the fourth grade, she joined a flag football league where all the players but four were boys. When she was in high school, DiMeglio became quarterback of the girls' flag football team, before joining the boys' football team. Her family and friends are always supporting her sports by going to games and volunteering at the concession stand. Both parents, Kathleen and Tom rarely miss a sporting event.
In fall 2013, Erin enrolled to the University of Central Florida, to be with her older sister, Amy. As a sophomore during the 2013-2014 academic year, Erin wanted to redshirt in football and walk on to the women's basketball team during the 2014 season, but did not make the team.
- Himmelbach, Adam (September 2, 2012). "To The Boys Her Role Is Simple: Team Mate". The New York Times. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- Rhoades, Logan (September 14, 2012). "High School Football: Erin DiMeglio and the Debate on Female Players". Bleacher Report. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- Smith, Cameron (September 31, 2012). "Erin DiMeglio, Florida’s first female QB, earns first varsity completion .. for negative yardage". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved October 23, 2012. Check date values in:
- Smith, Cameron (September 31, 2012). "Erin DiMeglio hits the field, becomes first female quarterback in Florida varsity football history". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved October 23, 2012. Check date values in:
- Isaacson, Melissa (September 12, 2012). "Erin DiMeglio makes history at South Plantation High School". ESPN. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Quarterback Queen Temporarily Trades Helmet for Tiara". WFOR-TV. October 11, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- Coughlan, Maggie (September 4, 2012). "Female Quarterback Erin DiMeglio Just One of the Guys on Football Team". People. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
|This Florida-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to an American football quarterback is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|