Henderson in 2016
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||July 1, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Aberdeen, Maryland|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||244 lb (111 kg)|
|High school:||Aberdeen (MD)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Erin Henderson (born July 1, 1986) is an American football inside linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played college football at Maryland.
Henderson was born and raised in Aberdeen, Maryland. He played quarterback and linebacker for Aberdeen High School in Harford County, Maryland and won the first state football championship in school history.
After redshirting his freshman year with the Terrapins, Henderson missed the entire 2005 season after tearing his left anterior cruciate ligament.
Henderson entered his redshirt sophomore year at Maryland and started 12 of 13 games at linebacker. He earned second team all-ACC honors while finishing 2nd in the conference in total tackles.
Henderson recorded 133 tackles, a forced fumble, and four fumble recoveries, and was a semi-finalist for the Dick Butkus Award, which went to James Laurinaitis of Ohio State. He led a 6–6 Maryland squad to the 2007 Emerald Bowl, where they lost to Oregon State.
During his rookie year, he played in 10 games and finished with 15 tackles. He mostly played on special teams and saw limited time on defense.
Henderson played in two regular season games for the Vikings in 2009, recording four tackles. He was suspended four games by the NFL on December 15, 2009, for violation of league's banned substances policy. Henderson won the starting job at weak-side linebacker at the start of the 2011 season.
Set to become an unrestricted free agent for the 2013 season, Henderson re-signed with the Vikings for a two-year contract. In the first regular-season game of 2013 against the Lions, Henderson recorded his first interceptions and got 11 tackles and 1 pass deflection.
New York Jets
After being out of the league in 2014, Henderson signed with the New York Jets on April 8, 2015. On March 23, 2016, the Jets signed Henderson to a two-year contract for $3.1 million. On October 22, 2016, he was placed on the Reserve/Non Football Illness list.
On February 25, 2017, the Jets declined Henderson's option, making him a free agent.
In March 2012, Henderson married his longtime girlfriend Maleah Flint in an elaborate ceremony in Atlanta, GA. Together they share their only child, a son named Lennox. Henderson is the younger brother of former linebacker E. J. Henderson. They both played college football at Maryland.
Henderson was charged with a DWI and possession of ten grams of marijuana on February 27, 2014 after being released from the Vikings earlier that month. On May 7, 2014, he was sentenced to two years of probation after he pleaded guilty to the latter DWI charge.
- Murray, Ken (April 28, 2008). "Draft call never comes for Henderson, others". Baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- Twitter / VikingUpdate: #Vikings LB Erin Henderson
- Pelissero, Tom (March 12, 2013). "Vikings re-sign linebacker Erin Henderson to two-year deal". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- Gantt, Darin (February 7, 2014). "Vikings release Erin Henderson after two arrests". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- Lange, Randy (April 8, 2015). "LB Erin Henderson Signs with Jets". New York Jets. Archived from the original on April 9, 2015. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- Allen, Eric (October 22, 2016). "Jets Promote LBs Ochi & Stanford to Roster". NewYorkJets.com.
- Slater, Darryl (February 25, 2017). "Jets cut ties with Erin Henderson, who landed on non-football injury list last season". NJ.com.
- Minnesota Vikings' Erin Henderson arrested on DWI charge
- Pelissero, Tom (January 2, 2014). "Vikings linebacker drove off road before DUI arrest". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- Alper, Josh (February 28, 2014). "Erin Henderson faces four charges for first of two DUI arrests". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Former Viking Erin Henderson Charged With DWI, Drug Possession". CBSLocal.com. February 27, 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Ex-Viking Henderson Gets Probation After Pleading Guilty To DWI". CBSLocal.com. May 7, 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-01.