Zavaleta playing for Indiana in 2011
|Full name||Eriq Anthony Zavaleta|
|Date of birth||August 2, 1992|
|Place of birth||Westfield, Indiana, United States|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2008–2009||IMG Soccer Academy|
|2010–2011||Real Salt Lake|
|2013–2014||Seattle Sounders FC||5||(0)|
|2013||→ San Antonio Scorpions (loan)||4||(1)|
|2014||→ Chivas USA (loan)||17||(0)|
|2016||→ Toronto FC II (loan)||2||(0)|
|2008–2009||United States U17||23||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of August 12, 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of June 23, 2013
Youth and College
Zavaleta played his freshman and senior seasons of high school soccer at Westfield High School in Westfield, Indiana. He scored 25 goals and nine assists as a freshman and 20 goals and 10 assists as a senior. He also spent his youth career with FC Pride, Real Salt Lake, and Chivas USA, and was also part of Columbus Crew's USL Super-20 championship team in 2011.
On February 7, 2011, Zavaleta signed a letter of intent to play college soccer at Indiana University. In his freshman year with the Hoosiers in 2011, Zavaleta started 22 games and led the team with 10 goals and 5 assists and was also the team leader in points with 25. He went on to be named College Soccer News All-Freshman first team, NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region first team selection, Soccer America All-Freshman first team and Chicagoland Soccer News Player of the Year.
In his sophomore year, Zavaleta started all 24 matches and again was the team leader with 40 points, with 18 goals and four assists. He led the team to their eighth national title. One of the four assists came in the 2012 College Cup final against no. 3 Georgetown, when he set up teammate Nikita Kotlov for what turned out to be the title-clinching goal. He went on to be named Big Ten All-Tournament team, NSCAA third-team All-American, College Soccer News first-team All-American and the College Cup All-Tournament team. At Indiana University he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.
On January 5, 2013, it was announced by agent Ron Waxman that Zavaleta had signed a Generation Adidas contract with Major League Soccer, making him eligible for the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. On January 17, Zavaleta was selected 10th overall by Seattle Sounders FC and immediately added to the roster. He made his professional debut on March 23, 2013, in a 1–0 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes.
On February 28, 2014, Chivas USA announced that they had added Zavaleta to their roster on loan from Seattle Sounders FC for one year. In 2014, he replaced Bobby Burling as the center back was out of play after he underwent a knee surgery.
On September 5, 2015, Zavaleta scored his first goal for Toronto in a 2-1 loss against his former club, the Seattle Sounders.
Zavaleta was part of the U.S. Soccer Residency program in 2008–09 and made 23 appearances for the United States U-17 national team during that stretch, including three appearances in the 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Zavaleta mostly played as a defender with the under-17s.
Zavaleta is the son of Carlos and Kristi Zavaleta. He has one sister, Alexa; and one brother, Casey. His father played professionally in the United States and El Salvador and was also a member of the El Salvador national team. He is also the nephew of former MLS and U.S. national team defender, and his current coach at Toronto FC, Greg Vanney.
- As of match played December 10, 2016
|San Antonio Scorpions (loan)||2013||NASL||4||1||—||—||—||4||1|
|Chivas USA (loan)||2014||MLS||17||0||—||1||0||—||18||0|
|Toronto FC II (loan)||2016||USL||2||0||—||—||—||2||0|
- Indiana University
- College Soccer News All-Freshman first team: 2011
- NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region first team: 2011
- Soccer America All-Freshman first team: 2011
- Chicagoland Soccer News Player of the Year (2): 2011, 2012
- Big Ten All-Tournament team: 2012
- NSCAA third-team All-American: 2012
- College Soccer News first-team All-American: 2012
- College Cup All-Tournament team: 2012
- Soccer America MVP first team: 2012
- "Hoosier Men's Soccer Inks Eight In 2011 Recruiting Class". IU Hoosiers. Indiana University. February 7, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Indiana Wins Eighth National Title with 1-0 Win Over Georgetown". IU Athletics. Indiana University. December 9, 2012. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Borg, Simon (January 5, 2013). "Agent: Indiana star Zavaleta signs Generation adidas deal". MLSsoccer.com. Major League Soccer. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "MLS signs Indiana star Eriq Zavaleta, five NCAA senior standouts". Soccer Wire. January 7, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Sounders FC Makes Forward Eriq Zavaleta Top Pick". Seattle Sounders FC. Sounders FC Public Relations. January 17, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Gaschk, Matt (January 17, 2013). "Interview: SuperDraft pick Eriq Zavaleta". Seattle Sounders FC. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Gaschk, Matt (March 25, 2013). "Zavaleta proud to make MLS debut with the Sounders". Seattle Sounders FC. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Chivas USA defender Bobby Burling out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery
- "Reds Acquire Eriq Zavaleta". Toronto FC. January 26, 2015. Retrieved September 15, 2016.
- "Seattle Sounders 2, Toronto FC 1". Major League Soccer. September 6, 2015. Retrieved September 15, 2016.
- "E. Zavaleta Summary". Soccerway. Retrieved September 14, 2016.