Erith and Thamesmead (UK Parliament constituency)
|Erith and Thamesmead|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Erith and Thamesmead in Greater London.
|Electorate||69,718 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Teresa Pearce (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Woolwich and Erith & Crayford|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
Erith and Thamesmead (/
Its results in terms of length of any one party's tenure and size of majorities indicate it is a safe seat for Labour with the exception of 2010 in which year the party's candidate won a low majority of 13.4% of the votes cast.
John Austin was the MP for this constituency from its creation for the 1997 general election until he stepped down at the 2010 election. The seat was then held for Labour by a local activist Teresa Pearce, who defeated the Conservatives candidate Colin Bloom, a councillor for Bickley Ward in Bromley.
2010 Labour selection controversy
In April 2009, an investigation took place into the tampering of ballot boxes and abuse of the postal vote system used for the selection of the prospective Labour candidate for Erith and Thamesmead. A rerun of the candidate selection ballot resulted in victory for Teresa Pearce.
1997–2010: The London Borough of Bexley wards of Belvedere, Erith, Northumberland Heath, and Thamesmead East, and the London Borough of Greenwich wards of Abbey Wood, Eynsham, Glyndon, Lakedale, St Nicholas, and Thamesmead Moorings.
2010–present: The London Borough of Bexley wards of Belvedere, Erith, Lesnes Abbey, Northumberland Heath, and Thamesmead East, and the London Borough of Greenwich wards of Abbey Wood, Plumstead, and Thamesmead Moorings.
The cross-border constituency of Erith and Thamesmead currently stretches from Plumstead, and Abbey Wood in the west, to Lesnes Heath, and Erith in the east. The Conservatives' strongest wards are in the Bexley part of the seat, in particular Northumberland Heath Ward. The remaining wards from Bexley and Greenwich have traditionally seen more support for the Labour Party, in both local and national elections.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in South London, and as a consequence of changes to ward boundaries, the Boundary Commission for England recommended that parts of Glyndon ward and Colyers ward be transferred from Erith and Thamesmead to the constituencies of Greenwich and Woolwich and Bexleyheath and Crayford respectively; that part of Plumstead ward be transferred to Erith and Thamesmead from Eltham; and that parts of Lesnes Abbey ward, Nothumberland Heath ward and Erith ward be transferred to Erith and Thamesmead from Bexleyheath and Crayford.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Conservative||Edward Baxter||15,571||35.0||+ 7.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon Waddington||750||1.7||-0.6|
|Christian Peoples||Temi Olodu||243||0.5||-0.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon Waddington||972||2.3||−9.8|
|Christian Peoples||Sidney Cordle||255||0.6||−0.3|
|English Democrat||Graham Moore||188||0.4||−0.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Alex Cunliffe||5,116||12.0||−0.8|
|English Democrat||Laurence Williams||465||1.1||+1.1|
|Christian Peoples||Sidney Cordle||379||0.9||+0.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Conservative||Chris R. Bromby||8,983||23.9||−1.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Steven T. Toole||5,088||13.5||+2.1|
|UKIP||Barrie R. Thomas||1,477||3.9||+3.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Barry Kempton||3,800||11.4||−0.6|
|Socialist Labour||Hardev Singh Dhillon||1,180||3.5||+3.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Alex H.C. Grigg||5,001||12.0||N/A|
|Referendum||John E. Flunder||1,394||3.4||N/A|
|BNP||Victor J. Dooley||718||1.7||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- Kite, Melissa (18 April 2009). "Labour ballot box tampering row deepens – Telegraph". London: telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)
- "Erith & Thamesmead parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7979/CBP-7979.pdf] House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://democracy.bexley.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=93&RPID=9646333 9Jul15
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)