31 January 1976
Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
|Residence||Parramatta, New South Wales|
|Alma mater||University of Technology Sydney|
|Known for||Pro bono legal aid|
|Home town||Parramatta, New South Wales|
|Awards||2010 Law Society of New South Wales President's Award, 2010 Sydney Mid West Volunteer of the Year|
- 1 History
- 2 Community Involvement
- 3 Awards
- 4 References
In 1998, Phang graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Technology Sydney and Master of Laws degree from the same university in 2000. He was admitted as a legal practitioner in New South Wales (Australia) in 1998 and in Victoria (Australia) in 1999. He was registered with the High Court of Australia in 1999 and became a notary public in 2005.
Phang is a volunteer director and office holder of not-for-profit organizations such as Western Housing for Youth Limited, Quality Improvement Council Limited, and International Christian Aid Relief Enterprises Limited. He also has professional memberships with the Law Society of New South Wales, Society of Notaries of NSW, Australian Institute of Company Directors, Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries, and Business Network International (BNI).
In March 2010, Phang was featured in an article in the Law Society Journal entitled "Staying Ahead of the Game with Online Social Networking", which discussed his use of social media as a business tool. According to the article, Phang blogs and writes articles on several sites and has a visible presence on social networking sites in order to attract more people to his website and establish awareness of his firm’s name.
Phang established his own law firm, Phang Legal, in 2002. It is a boutique law firm based in the Parramatta, New South Wales. The firm’s clients are generally individuals, small businesses and companies, and non-profit organizations located within the Sydney metropolitan area, or other parts of Australia.
Phang is active with community legal aid and pro bono legal work.
Pro Bono legal panel
In July 2010, Phang joined a number of other Sydney law firms and the National Pro Bono Resources Centre as part of the Parramatta City Council's (PCC) Pro Bono legal panel for its "Parramatta Social Enterprises Hub" project. The project aimed to support social enterprises in the local area through legal services. He was introduced as one of the project’s panel members, together with Blake Dawson, Henry Davis York, Sparke Helmore, at the Arts Law Centre, during its 3 years celebration event on 23 June 2010. With Phang’s involvement, the project has provided mentoring and business support to a range of social enterprises, including a number that received seed-funding via Community Grants program.
Law Society President's Award
In December 2010, Phang was featured in an article in the Law Society Journal entitled "Pro bono is on the agenda from outset" for receiving the Law Society President's Award as part of the 2010 Justice Awards. According to the article, Phang has a passion to contribute to the community. Phang was previously a nominee for the Law Society President's Award in 2009. On 8 May 2011, Phang was interviewed by Tim Shaw the host of Legal Matters on Sydney radio station 2UE program on the subject of winning the Law Society President's Award, pro bono legal services, and involvement with Law Week. During the interview, Phang stated that 'there was so much need in the community' and that this was his 'opportunity to give back' to the community which had supported him and his family.
2010 NSW Volunteer of the Year Award
In November 2010, Phang was named the 2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year outstanding contribution to the community during a ceremony held in Parramatta on Wednesday, 17 November 2010. The Centre for Volunteering recognised Phang for his work with the Western Housing for Youth organisation, with which he has been involved for the past four years. He has devoted his time to improving the lives of young homeless people by ensuring a strong, supportive and safe service is available with Western Housing for Youth. Phang received a $300 donation towards Western Housing for Youth to help it continue the outstanding work that it currently performs. Award Manager, Kristin Romanis, who announced Phang's winning, stated: "Parramatta's nominees were of an exceptional standard but the judges felt that Ern's tireless dedication to volunteering with Western Housing for Youth was a standout." 
Western Sydney Local Venues Council
On 2 March 2012, Phang was appointed by the NSW Minister for Sport and Recreation, Graham Annesley to the Western Sydney Local Venues Council. The Council’s purpose is to streamline the operations of government owned sporting and entertainment facilities in Western Sydney, which includes the Parramatta Stadium, and provide local expertise and input to Venues NSW, a NSW Government authority responsible for managing government owned sporting and entertainment venues in the Hunter, Western Sydney and Illawarra.
Energy Efficiency for Small Business Program
Phang is a featured participant in the "Energy Efficiency for Small Business Program" from the New South Wales Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (DECCW). His involvement was featured as a case study for other companies.
Kochie's Business Builders
Australian Pro Bono Manual
Phang contributed to the writing of the third edition of "The Australian Pro Bono Manual: A practice guide and resource kit for law firms" published by the Australian Pro Bono Centre.  Chapter 1.16 titled "A Small Law Firm Perspective" draws on Phang's many years of experience in providing pro bono legal services to the community.
- 2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year Award for "his work with the Western Housing for Youth organisation"
- 2010 Law Society of New South Wales President's Award for "outstanding commitment to pro bono work"
- "Phang Legal. Retrieved: 2010-10-21". Phanglegal.com.au. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "UTS: 1998 UTS: Law graduates (undergraduate). Retrieved: 2010-12-11". uts.edu.au. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "UTS: 2000 UTS: Law graduates (postgraduate). Retrieved: 2010-12-11". uts.edu.au. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "BNI Australia - Business Networking and Business Referrals. Retrieved: 2010-12-14". Bni.com.au. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- Slee, Amruta. (March 2010). Staying ahead of the game with online social networking. Law Society Journal, pages 22-24.
- "Phang Legal. Retrieved: 2010-10-21". Phanglegal.com.au. Archived from the original on 26 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "National Pro Bono Resource Centre. Retrieved 2010-10-21". Nationalprobono.org.au. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "PRO bono is on the agenda from outset", Law Society Journal, 48 (11): 31, December 2012, ISSN 0818-5263
- "2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year Award Winners Announced | 2010 NSW Volunteer of the Year Award Website". Nswvolunteerawards.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "2010 Regional Winners recognised at Parliament House". Nswvolunteerawards.com. Archived from the original on 10 May 2012. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- Pender, Liam. "Volunteers Week in Parramatta". The Sun Parramatta Holroyd. Archived from the original on 22 March 2012. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Western Sydney Business Access. Retrieved 2012-07-24". wsba.com.au. Archived from the original on 26 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Venues NSW Retrieved 2012-07-24". communities.nsw.gov.au. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- 13 September 2010 4:43PM (13 September 2010). "(13 September 2010). Retrieved: 2010-10-21". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- 24 October 2010 12:12AM (24 October 2010). "(24 October 2010). Retrieved: 2010-11-08". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- 25 October 2010 2:29PM (25 October 2010). "(25 October 2010) Retrieved: 2010-11-08". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Trademarking and IP For Small Business". Kochie's Business Builders. 23 November 2014. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- "The Australian Pro Bono Manual". Australian Pro Bono Centre. April 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "The Australian Pro Bono Manual - Chapter 1.16". Australian Pro Bono Centre. April 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Law Society of NSW - News & Media Archive". Lawsociety.com.au. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Law and Justice Foundation - 2010 Justice Awards". Lawfoundation.net.au. 14 October 2010. Archived from the original on 31 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- Deare, Steven. "Pro bono lawyer wins Law Society of NSW honour - Business - News - Parramatta Advertiser". Parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "National Pro Bono Resource Centre : National Pro Bono News: Issue 62 (October 2010)". Nationalprobono.org.au. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Pro bono helps alleviate poverty - Top Stories - Lawyers Weekly - Breaking legal news, views, analysis and legal jobs online". Lawyers Weekly. Retrieved 2012-07-25.