Ernest Winston Angley|
August 9, 1921
Gastonia, North Carolina, US
|Occupation||Pastor, televangelist, ministry owner, author, television station owner|
|Spouse(s)||Esther Lee Sikes, 1943–1970 (her death)|
|Church||Ernest Angley's Grace Cathedral – Cuyahoga Falls / Grace Cathedral – Akron|
|Grace Cathedral, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, US|
- 1 Personal life
- 2 Facilities
- 3 Broadcasts
- 4 Controversies
- 5 Bibliography
- 6 Family life/Personal
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Ernest Angley is a native of Gaston County, North Carolina. In his autobiography, he details his early life being raised in the Charlotte, North Carolina, area as a Baptist, and at the age of 18 accepting Jesus Christ as his Savior. In the early 1950s, traveling with their tent and camper, he and his wife arrived in Northeast Ohio as a traveling "salvation and healing" Pentecostal evangelist.
Angley's interdenominational ministry was originally based at Grace Cathedral (a.k.a. the "Temple of Healing Stripes") in Springfield Township, Ohio, southeast of Akron. That church is now known as Grace Cathedral – Akron and is used by their youth ministry (for youth services) and for church weddings, funerals and Bible study. In 1984, Angley purchased part of a large complex in his home base of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, that was formerly owned by televangelist Rex Humbard, which includes the church formerly known as the Cathedral of Tomorrow (which was rededicated as Grace Cathedral) and its next-door television studios.
Humbard's Cathedral of Tomorrow complex was sold in 1984 to television evangelist Ernest Angley, along with the Channel 55 license, which was used by Angley's Winston Broadcasting Network division for WBNX-TV. This complex now includes the Grace Cathedral, channel 55's studios and offices, as well as other companies which lease space.
Online Bible college
Ernest Angley's ministry operates a Boeing 747SP, named Star Triple Seven and bearing registration P4-FSH, which it uses to transport missionaries and humanitarian aid internationally. The P4- tail number denotes that the aircraft is registered in Aruba.
Ernest Angley's signature weekly one-hour program The Ernest Angley Hour can currently be seen throughout North America as well as internationally via broadcast stations, internet streaming, cable and satellite channels.
Angley also broadcasts The 90 & 9 Club (named in reference to Matthew 18:12–13) weekdays on his ministry owned TV station WBNX-TV 55 in Cleveland, Ohio. Additional airings of both shows as well as gospel music programming also airs on secondary digital channel 55.2.
Claim that Jesus heals HIV/AIDS
Angley's Christian faith-based teachings, in particular his claims (based on the Biblical scripture Mark 9:23 "Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.") that AIDS and other diseases can be cured by God's healing power, were met with skepticism in South Africa. In March 2007, the Advertising Standards Authority in South Africa, after receiving a complaint, cancelled a newspaper ad for Angley's ministry, based on lack of preliminary filing of medical documentation at that time for healing of AIDS through prayer. Angley has since stated that he has verifiable medical documentation from former AIDS patients that he can submit to any country that requires it, and in the same 2007 television broadcast displayed medical documentation from four alleged former HIV positive patients of their new negative tests results.
Murder at church-owned restaurant
In 1999, Shane Partin, a 27-year-old former staff member at Cathedral Buffet, stabbed and killed a volunteer, 15-year-old Cassandra Blondheim. Blondheim had previously complained to buffet management about Partin's romantic advances. Partin was fired, but was later allowed to return as a volunteer. Partin was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Partin was denied parole in his first attempt in 2013. His next early release hearing will occur in 2023. Angley's ministry paid $100,000 in a settlement to Blondheim's family.
Volunteer staffing of church-owned restaurant
In March 2017, Angley was ordered to pay $388,000 in damages and back wages to a group of unpaid employees at the Cathedral Buffet whom Angley considered unpaid volunteers. The eating establishment is owned by the church. A few witnesses for the prosecution, who were former members of his church, said they felt pressured to volunteer as waiters, bussers and cash register operators. This was the second time Angley was cited for the same offense, the first coming in 1999 when he was ordered to pay $37,000 in back wages. The presiding judge added damages to the 2017 claim due to it being his second offense. Angley defended the Cathedral Buffet, stating he believed nothing wrong had been done, the buffet served a religious purpose and the government's claims were a violation of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Angley's attorneys expected an appeal to be filed and one said he does not believe the findings that many volunteers felt coerced into working for free will hold up on appeal. He said he spoke with about 75 people who worked at the buffet who said they didn't feel pressured to work there. Effective April 18, 2017, Angley's ministry closed the Cathedral Buffet to the public.
The author of many books as well as gospel songs, Angley's website states that he has donated all royalties from his books to the outreach ministry.
- Hurry Friday!. (Autobiography) (June 2004) Library of Congress catalog 2005615251
- Raptured. (A novel about the second coming of Christ based on a dispensational interpretation of biblical prophecy.) (First published 1950) Library of Congress catalog 2003611031 ISBN 0-8007-8172-4
- Faith in God Heals the Sick. (Biblical teaching on how to receive and keep physical healing from the Lord.)
- Untying God's Hands. (Many subjects including marriage, dating and ministry of angels are dealt with in this book.)
- Cell 15. (The true story of the imprisonment of Ernest Angley in Germany for preaching the Gospel.)
- God's Rainbow of Promises. (Scriptures from the Bible to cover a person's needs in times of trouble.)
- The Deceit of Lucifer. (Biblical answers to questions about hypnosis, visualization, astrology, demonology.) Library of Congress catalog 89827508
- Leeching of the Mind. (Dealing with depression and exposing the inner working of Lucifer in the human mind.)
- The Power of Bible Fasting (Comprehensive book with Old and New Testament scriptures about Bible fasting.)
- The Reality of the Person of the Holy Spirit Volumes 1–4. (Reveals the works of the Holy Spirit throughout the Old and New Testament scriptures and how the Holy Spirit affects the lives of people.)
- Prosperity: Spiritual, Physical, Financial (Biblical insights and teachings concerning God's plan of prosperity) Copyright 2001.
- Weeds in Eden (Describes the cost to God and man of minds overrun with the weeds of disobedience and rebellion.)
- The Unforgivable Sin. (A look into how a human can blaspheme against the Holy Ghost and how to avoid those paths.) Library of Congress catalog 2001615038
- Reality of the Blood Volumes 1–4. (Biblical insight concerning the divine blood of Jesus and its power of deliverance.)
- Love is the Road. (Discovering how to walk the paths of life using God's love and promises.)
- Living Free From Sin. (Volumes 1 & 2; Can a saved person be lost? Two comprehensive books dealing with the belief of 'Unconditional' Eternal Security, and how one can live free from sin. [Copyright 2007 & 2008])
- The Mind of Christ. (How one can take on the Mind of Christ. [Copyright 2005]) ISBN 1-935974-13-0
- Battles of the Mind!...peace be still. (How one can be free from the battles of the mind. [Copyright 2008]) ISBN 1-935974-14-9
- Reality of the Blood Vol. 5: Don't Waste the Blood (How to use the divine blood of Jesus to defeat the devil every day. [Copyright 2010]) ISBN 1-935974-17-3
- Healing From Heaven, Vol. 1 (How to receive miracles and healings from God. [Copyright 2012]) ISBN 978-1-935974-18-5
- "Healing from Heaven, Vol. 2" (Further details the vision of Ezekiel on the wheels. [Copyright 2012]
- The War is on... Armageddon (A novel based on Biblical truth; the sequel to "Raptured". [Copyright 2012]) ISBN 978-1-935974-19-2
Angley married the former Esther Lee "Angel" Sikes (born 1921– died December 28, 1970) on November 25, 1943; they continued in ministry together and remained married until her death in 1970.
- "Birth reference results for Ernest Angley". FamilySearch.org. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Book|"The Mind of Christ", By Ernest Angley; pp. 145–148, "Salvation brought a new life"
- "Grace Cathedral". Ernest Angley Ministries. January 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Ernest Angley's Online Bible College". Ernest Angley Ministries. January 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Airframe 21963 History". Boeing 747SP Website. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
Leased to Grace Cathedral (Ernest Angley Ministries)
- "Aviation Photo Search". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- Hinkle, Chaz (March 15, 2006). "Angley Ministries 747SP will be in Lesotho and South Africa". Boeing 747SP Website. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
P4-FSH, the 747SP flown by Ernest Angley Ministries, was scheduled to be in African in late March and early April. The trip includes a three-day stop at Maseru, Lesotho, March 31 through April 2, and a four-day stop in Bloemfontein, Free State (South Africa), April 6–9.
- "Matthew 18:12 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- 52403, Decisionmark Corp. 818 Dows Road SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. "TitanTV Programming Guide – What's on TV, Movies, Reality Shows, and Local News". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Can Jesus heal Aids?". IOL: News for South Africa and the World. April 25, 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- WBNX-TV interview Cleveland, Ohio,U.S April 19, 2007
- "Ohio Parole Board: Cathedral Buffet killer Shane Partin will stay in prison". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "TV ministry pays $100,000 to settle wrongful-death lawsuit". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Televangelist Ernest Angley ordered to pay $388,000 for using unpaid labor at Cuyahoga Falls buffet". Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Televangelist Ernest Angley closes the Cathedral Buffet". Retrieved April 18, 2017.
- "About Ernest Angley". ErnestAngley.org. October 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
Reverend Angley is a prolific author and has donated all royalties from the sales of his books to the outreach ministry. Donated royalties include those from the sale of his autobiography, Hurry Friday.
- "Death record results for Esther Lee Angley". FamilySearch.org. Retrieved September 22, 2017.