Cline at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||Ernest Christy Cline
March 29, 1972 
Ashland, Ohio, United States
|Occupation||Screenwriter, artist, novelist|
|Spouse(s)||Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz (m. 2016)|
Ernest Christy Cline (born March 29, 1972) is an American novelist, slam poet, and screenwriter. He is most well known for his novels Ready Player One and Armada; he also co-wrote the screenplay for upcoming film adaptation of Ready Player One, directed by Steven Spielberg.
Cline was born in Ashland, Ohio, the son of Faye Imogene (Williams) and Ernest Christy Cline. His younger brother, Eric, is a Major in United States Marine Corps, specializing as an EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Technician. In 2016, he married poet/nonfiction writer Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz, whom he met at the 1998 National Poetry Slam.
From 1997 to 2001, Cline performed his original work at Austin Poetry Slam venues. He was the Austin Poetry Slam Champ in 1998 and 2001 and competed on the Austin Poetry Slam Teams at the 1998 Austin National Poetry Slam and the 2001 Seattle National Poetry Slam. His most popular spoken-word pieces include "Dance, Monkeys, Dance," "Nerd Porn Auteur," and "When I Was a Kid." Cline subsequently reworked "Dance Monkeys Dance" into a faux educational filmstrip, which became a popular viral video that has now been translated into 29 different languages.
In 2001, Cline self-published a chapbook collection of his spoken-word writing, The Importance of Being Ernest, and released an album, The Geek Wants Out. In fall 2013 Write Bloody Publishing published a new edition of The Importance of Being Ernest with new cover art by Gary Musgrave and new interior illustrations by Len Peralta.
In 1996, Cline wrote a fan fiction script, Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League, a sequel to W. D. Richter's 1984 film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, and made it available on the Internet.
In 1998, Cline's screenplay Fanboys generated local interest in Austin, Texas, including mention on Harry Knowles' website Ain't It Cool News. In late 2005, the Weinstein Company purchased his script for Fanboys, casting Sam Huntington, Chris Marquette, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, and Kristen Bell as the main characters. Fanboys was released on February 6, 2009.
Also in the summer of 2008, Lakeshore Entertainment announced that they would be producing Cline's screenplay, Thundercade. Thundercade follows the story of a video game junkie in his mid-30's who learns that a young gamer has beaten a record he set when he was a teenager and who then travels with his friends to the world's largest gaming championship, Thundercade, to restore his former glory.
In June 2010 Cline sold his first novel, Ready Player One, in a bidding war to the Crown Publishing Group (a division of Random House). The film rights to the novel were sold the following day to Warner Bros. with Cline attached to write the screenplay. Ten months later, with the hardcover release coinciding with the paperback release, Cline revealed on his blog that both the paperback and hardcover editions of Ready Player One contain an elaborately hidden Easter egg. This clue formed the first part of a series of staged video gaming tests, similar to the plot of the novel. Cline also revealed that the competition's grand prize would be a 1981 DeLorean. The prize was awarded in 2012. The paperback is currently in its 17th printing.
Cline's second novel, Armada, was released on July 14, 2015, by Crown Publishing Group. On December 7, 2015, Cline announced the sale of the film rights to Armada to Universal Pictures for a reported seven-figure sum.
A third novel was announced in August 2015. It has been confirmed that this novel is to be a sequel to Cline's first novel, Ready Player One. However, no information about it was given, other than its genre: Sci-Fi.
- Fanboys (2009) – with Adam F. Goldberg
- Red vs. Blue episode "Mr. Red vs. Blue Blue" (2016)
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "At the Earth's Core" (2017) – with fifteen other writers
- Ready Player One (2018) – with Zak Penn
- "Ernest Christy Cline (b. 1972)". birth-records.mooseroots.com. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- John R. Alden. "Ernest Cline's smart 'Ready Player One' makes cybernerds fun", Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 22, 2011.
- "Ernie's Fanboys Journal – PART 3: ERIC CLINE – Ernie's Blog". www.ernestcline.com. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "VOWS: "Cristin Aptowicz, Ernest Cline"". The New York Times. June 19, 2016.
- "Postscripts: Bloomin' Poets – Books". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Smith, Clay (2001-07-13). "Postscripts". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Wheaton, Wil (2011-08-15). "You want to accept Anorak's Invitation. Trust me". Wilwheaton.net. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Whittaker, Richard (2012-10-27). "Wizard World: Wil Wheaton Versus the Burrito". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League by Ernest Cline". www.ernestcline.com. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "Contact Weistein Co. To See Fanboys In Your City". TheForce.net. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Lakeshore picks up 'Thundercade'". 9 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- Fleming, Tatiana Siegel,Michael (9 April 2008). "Lakeshore's game for 'Thundercade'". Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- Fleming, Mike (2010-06-18). "Deadline Hollywood – Warner Bros and De Line Pictures Win Book Auction For Ready Player One". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Universal sets sail with 'Armada'". Variety. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
-  Archived November 21, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ready Player One DeLorean prize awarded". Boing Boing. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "A Long Overdue Update". Ernie's Blog. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Busch, Anita (10 August 2015). "'Ready Player One' Author Ernest Cline Seals Monster Deal For Next Book; All Eyes On Film Rights". Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- title=Ernie Cline is writing a sequel to Ready Player One|url=https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/12/10/16758732/ernie-cline-ready-player-one-book-sequel
- "Ernie Cline Writing a 'Ready Player One' Sequel". www.slashfilm.com. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- "Ready Player One Is Getting A Sequel". www.cinemablend.com. Retrieved ???. Check date values in:
- "READY PLAYER ONE SEQUEL RUMORED TO BE IN THE WORKS". nerdist.com. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ernest Cline.|