June 17, 1940 |
|Metaphysics · Epistemology · Philosophy of mind|
Education and Career
Born in Cárdenas, Cuba on June 17, 1940, Sosa earned his BA and MA from the University of Miami and his PhD from the University of Pittsburgh in 1964 where his dissertation was supervised by Nicholas Rescher.
He has been at Rutgers full-time since January 2007; he had been at Brown University since 1964. While full-time at Brown, he was also a distinguished visiting professor at Rutgers every spring from 1998-2006. Sosa has been described as "one of the most important epistemologists of the last half-century."
Sosa is a past president of the American Philosophical Association and a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He edits the philosophical journals Noûs and Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. In 2005, he delivered the John Locke Lectures at Oxford, which formed the basis of his 2007 book.
In addition to epistemology, Sosa has also written on metaphysics, modern philosophy and philosophy of mind. In his books Knowledge in Perspective (1991) and A Virtue Epistemology (2007), Sosa defends a form of virtue epistemology called "virtue perspectivism", which distinguishes animal knowledge from reflective knowledge.
- Knowledge in Perspective (Cambridge University Press, 1991)
- Epistemic Justification (Blackwell Publishers, 2003), with L. BonJour
- Ernest Sosa and his Critics, ed by J. Greco (Blackwell, 2004)
- A Virtue Epistemology (Oxford University Press, 2007)
- Reflective Knowledge (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- Knowing Full Well (Princeton University Press, 2011)
- Virtuous Thoughts: The Philosophy of Ernest Sosa, ed by J. Turri (Springer 2013)
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- The dictionary of modern American philosophers, Volume 1 by Richard T. Hull, Continuum International Publishing Group, 2005, p.2287.
- Ernest Sosa. "Ernest Sosa - Abbreviated Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Noûs - Journal Information". Wiley Blackwell. 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Philosophy and Phenomenological Research - Journal Information". Wiley Blackwell. 2011. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- "Past Lectures - Faculty of Philosophy". Retrieved July 23, 2011.
|This biography of an American philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|