Ernest Wilson Brown Jr.
January 29, 1947
|Died||June 3, 2021 (aged 74)|
|Occupation||Actor, acting coach|
|Children||Lori Lively |
Life and career
Lively may be best known for his roles in Passenger 57, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. In the latter two films, he played the father of a character played by his own real life daughter, Blake.
Lively’s credits as a character actor date back to the 1970s, beginning with TV roles on shows including “The Waltons” and “The Dukes of Hazzard.” He appeared in movies including “Turner & Hooch,” “Air America,” “Passenger 57,” “and “The Beverly Hillbillies” and on popular TV shows like “The X-Files,” “That ‘70s Show,” and “The West Wing.” In 2005, he played the father of his daughter Blake’s character in “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,” and he returned for its 2008 sequel. Lively was also a director, directing Blake in her film debut, “Sandman.” A father of five, he influenced all of his children as they pursued acting careers. Lively was also a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War.
In 1979, Lively married talent manager Elaine Lively (née McAlpin). They were the parents of Blake and Eric Lively, both actors. He adopted Elaine's children from her previous marriage: Lori, Robyn and Jason Lively.
He resided in Heber City, Utah with his wife. In 2003, Lively suffered a heart attack. In November 2013, Lively was treated with stem-cell therapy as part of an experimental retrograde gene procedure.
Lively died on June 3, 2021, in Los Angeles of cardiac complications.
- The Waltons (1975, TV Series) as Railroad Conductor
- McCloud (1977, TV Series) as Bartender
- The Million Dollar Dixie Deliverance (1978, TV Movie) as Danny
- The Dukes of Hazzard (1979-1984, TV Series) as Longstreet B. Davenport / Clyde, The Guard / Dobro Doolan
- It's My Turn (1980) as Man at Restaurant
- Drop-Out Father (1982, TV Movie) as Conductor
- Secret Admirer (1985) as Guard
- Badge of the Assassin (1985, TV Movie) as U.S. Marshal
- Misfits of Science (1985, TV Series) as Army Officer
- The Children of Times Square (1986, TV Movie)
- Fuzzbucket (1986, TV Series) as Teacher #1
- Wisdom (1986)
- Warm Hearts, Cold Feet (1987, TV Movie) as Ernie
- Convicted: A Mother's Story (1987, TV Movie)
- In The Mood (1987) as Chief Kelsey (Papa Bear)
- Hollywood-Monster (1987) as Production Manager
- Into the Homeland (1987, TV Movie) as Tom Burnside
- The Tracker (1988, TV Movie) as Bob
- Scandal in a Small Town (1988, TV Movie) as Jeremy Travis
- The Secret Life of Kathy McCormick (1988, TV Movie) as Jeff
- Buckeye and Blue (1988) as Jess Thatcher
- Turner & Hooch (1989) as Motel Clerk
- An Innocent Man (1989) as Donatelli's Dealer
- Shocker (1989) as Warden
- Hard to Kill (1990) as LAPD Captain
- Follow Your Heart (1990, TV Movie) as Mitch
- Voices Within: The Lives of Truddi Chase (1990, TV Movie) as Truddi's Stepfather
- The Knife and Gun Club (1990, TV Movie) as Ralph
- Air America (1990) as Truck Driver
- The Less-Than-Perfect Daughter (1991, TV Series) as Col. Deke Grimwald
- For the Very First Time (1991, TV Movie) as Mr. O'Neil
- Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991) as Detective Nelson
- The Man in the Moon (1991) as Will Sanders
- Past Midnight (1992) as Detective Allan Tobias
- Breaking the Silence (1992, TV Movie)
- Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (1992) as Man at Airport
- Sleepwalkers (1992) as Animal Control Officer
- Passenger 57 (1992) as Chief Leonard Biggs
- Overkill: The Aileen Wuornos Story (1992, TV Movie) as Maj. Dan Henry
- The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) as Briggs
- My Family (1995) as Sergeant
- The X-Files (1995, TV Series) as Sheriff John Teller
- Malibu Shores (1996, TV Series) as Mr. Morrison
- Renegade (1996, TV Series) as Sheriff
- Mulholland Falls (1996) as Construction Foreman
- Fire Down Below (1997) as Todd
- Senseless (1998) as Coach Brandau
- The Legend of Cryin' Ryan (1998) as Leonard Greene
- Goodbye Lover (1998) as Sheriff
- Wanted (1998) as Sheriff
- Balloon Farm (1999, TV Movie) as Tom Williams
- The Thirteenth Floor (1999) as 30's Cop
- My Little Assassin (1999, TV Movie) as Charlie Baron
- That '70s Show (2000, TV Series) as Ted
- The West Wing (2000-2005, TV Series) as Mr. Loch / Georgia Congressman
- American Pie 2 (2001) as Sergeant
- Crossing Jordan (2002, TV Series) as Sheriff Roper
- The Drew Carey Show (2004, TV Series) as Mike
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005) as Bridget's Father
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (2005, TV Series) as Maddie's Father (voice)
- The Darwin Awards (2006) as RV Salesman
- Ghost Whisperer (2006, TV Series) as Ranger Neher
- Simon Says (2006) as Pig
- The Art of Travel (2008) as Mr. Layne
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (2008) as Bridget's Father
- The Perfect Game (2009) as Coach Sam Hicks
- Saving Grace (2009-2010, TV Series) as Ham's Dad
- Memphis Beat (2010, TV Series) as Doc Boswell
- Outlaw (2010, TV Series)
- Svetlana (2011, TV Series) as Liam's Dad
- Shadow (2013, Short)
- Waffle Street (2015) as Wright Adams
- Razor (2017) as Ernie
- Looking Glass (2018) as Tommy
- Phobic (2020) as Jack Sanders
- Barnes, Mike (June 9, 2021). "Ernie Lively, Actor in the 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' Films, Dies at 74". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on June 10, 2021. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Russell, Doris McAlpin (22 January 1990). McAlpin(e) genealogies, 1730-1990: Alexander McAlpin of South Carolina and Georgia and his descendants, plus other McAlpin(e) families of North America. Gateway Press – via Internet Archive.
Ernest Wilson Ernie Brown, Jr., b. 29 Jan 1947, Baltimore, Md..
- "Ernie Lively obituary: actor and Blake Lively's dad dies at 74". Legacy.com. 2021-06-10. Retrieved 2021-06-11.
- Whitehurst, Lindsay (November 27, 2013). "Dad of 'Gossip Girl' star gets experimental therapy in Utah". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Lee, Esther (November 27, 2013). "Blake Lively's Dad Has Heart Operation, Says She Wants "30 Kids"". Us Weekly. Retrieved December 3, 2013.