Ernst August Girschner
Girschner was born (and died) in Torgau, Province of Saxony. He taught at the Gymnasium in Torgau. Girschner described many new species of Diptera but made much more important contributions notably formalising the use of chaetotaxy in Calyptratae "it was the merit of Mr. E. Girschner to give to Chaetotaxy a much greater development and application than it had had before, and to treat it as a sine qua non of descriptive dipterology. His enviable talent for drawing enabled him to illustrate his papers by diagrams more eloquent than any descriptions 
He was a friend of entomologist Josef Mik.
- Beitrag zur Systematik der Musciden. Berliner Entomologische Zeitschrift 38: 297–312. in which he introduced the taxon Muscidae acalyptratae (1893.).
- Einiges über die Färbung der Dipterenaugen. Berlin. Ent. Zeitschr.31, 155—162, I plate (1887)
- Ueber einige Musciden Wiener Entomologische Zeitung 17 :151-153
- Osten-Sacken, C. R. 1903 Record of my life and work in entomology. Cambridge (Mass.) :156
- Alfred Hetschko: Zur Erinnerung an Ernst Girschner (PDF, 7 pages, in German)
|This article about a German zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|