||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||20 February 1915
|Died||24 May 1994(aged 79)|
|Years of service||1935–45|
|Unit||2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
German Cross in Gold
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
Close Combat Clasp in Bronze
Ernst August Krag (20 February 1915 – 24 May 1994) was a German soldier who served in the Waffen SS during World War II, finishing the war with the rank of Sturmbannführer (Major). He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Krag joined the SS-Verfügungstruppe in 1935 and was assigned to the 5th Company, Germania Regiment. In 1937, he volunteered for paratroop training at the Luftwaffe school at Stendal, following which he returned to the division and was promoted to SS-Unterscharführer. He was then selected for officer training and posted to the SS-Junkerschule at Bad Tolz from November 1938 to August 1939. After some additional training at the Artillery school at Jüterbog, Krag was posted as the commander of the 3rd Battery, 3rd SS Artillery regiment, Das Reich.
World War II
In 1940, Krag was the adjutant for the 1st Battalion under Herbert Otto Gille. He was severely wounded on 23 January and returned to Germany to recover. When he returned to the unit, he was posted as the Artillery Regiment Adjutant holding this post for about 6 months. In October 1942, he moved to the Sturmgeschutz (StuG) Battalion as the 2nd Battery Commander. It was during this time that Krag was awarded the German Cross in Gold.
Krag took temporary command of the Sturmgeschutz Battalion in August 1943, and his command was later made permanent. In late July 1944, he was transferred to command the 2nd SS Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion of Das Reich, which he led through the Battle of Normandy and later, the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded the Knight's Cross and the only Oakleaves awarded to a member of the Reconnaissance battalion during his period in command of the battalion.
- Untersturmführer: November 9, 1939
- Obersturmführer: April 20, 1941
- Hauptsturmführer: April 20, 1943
- Sturmbannführer: April 20, 1944
Krag survived the war and died in May 1994.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 9 April 1943 as SS-Obersturmführer in the 2./SS-Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 2
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- According to Scherzer as commander of SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 2.
- SS STURMBANNFUHRER ERNST AUGUST KRAG Mark C.Yerger
- Thomas 1997, p. 401.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 249.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 271.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 469.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 98.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Yerger, Mark C. (1996). SS-Sturmbannführer Ernst August Krag : Träger des Ritterkreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Kommandeur SS-Sturmgeschützabteilung 2, SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 2 : "Das Reich". Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 0-7643-0049-0.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.