Ernst von Freyberg
Ernst Freiherr von Freyberg
Ernst Conrad Rudolf Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg (born 26 October 1958 in Geneva) is a German manager and was President of the Istituto per le Opere di Religione between February 2013 and July 2014
He studied law at the universities of Munich and Bonn from 1978 to 1985 and at the German University of Administrative Sciences Speyer in 1986/87. He was admitted to the bar in Ulm in 1988.
Founding of Finance House von Freyberg
From 1988 to 1991, Freyberg worked as an analyst for TCR Europe Limited and Three Cities Research, Inc. In 1991, he co-founded finance house von Freyberg. In 1998, Close Brothers Corporate Finance Ltd, the corporate finance arm of Close Brothers, replaced finance house von Mellenthin with finance house von Freyberg as its German associate, purchasing 51%. In 2005, Close Brothers Corporate Finance began consolidating its European network and finance house Freyberg was renamed Freyberg Close Brothers. In 2010, Close Brothers Corporate Finance became loss-making and Close Brothers Group put it up for sale. It was purchased by the Japanese investment bank Daiwa Securities SMBC and is now called Daiwa Corporate Advisory GmbH. In 2012, Ernst von Freyberg was replaced as CEO by Stefan Jaecker.
Chairmanship and supervisory board activities
Since 2012, he has been chairman of the supervisory board of Blohm + Voss, and was/is member of other supervisory and advisory boards, e.g. of Malteser Deutschland GmbH, the Flossbach von Storch AG trust administration and the IT service provider Magirus AG.
Istituto per le Opere di Religione (IOR)
Ernst von Freyberg was appointed President of the Board of Superintendence of the Istituto per le Opere di Religione (IOR) by the Commission of Cardinals of the IOR on 15 February 2013 replacing Ettore Gotti Tedeschi. Freyberg was named ad interim Director of the IOR on 1 July 2013, following the resignations of Director Paolo Cipriani and Deputy Director Massimo Tulli  On 30 November 2013, Rolando Marranci was appointed new General Director.
During his tenure at the IOR, von Freyberg has identified two particular tasks as critically important. Firstly, he wants to open up the Institute and make it more transparent. Secondly, he will investigate and, where necessary, eliminate any cases of money laundering and tax evasion. Von Freyberg has also espoused a “zero tolerance” approach when it comes to suspicious transactions.
Ernst von Freyberg is Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. His voluntary work at the Order of Malta particularly focuses on accompanying pilgrimages to Lourdes and acting as honorary treasurer for the order's German association. In 2009, he also founded the Freyberg Stiftung. The foundation’s main goals lie in supporting teenagers through education.
- "New Economic Framework for the Holy See". Vatican Information Service. July 9, 2014. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- Pope appoints Ernst von Freyberg new Vatican bank head, BBC News, 15 February 2013
- IOR Director and Deputy Director resign. Communique' of the Press Office of the Holy See, Vatican Radio, 01 July 2013
- Vatican bank chief to step down amid restructure BBC, 9 July 2014
- Von Freyberg heiratet Archived 2013-02-25 at the Wayback Machine, Südwest Presse, 12 March 2011
- Michiyo Nakamoto, Brooke Masters:Daiwa to buy arm of Close Brothers, Financial Times, 18 May 2009
- Stefan Jaecker wird neuer CEO von DC Advisory in Deutschland, Finanzen.Net, 19 December 2013
- New director of Institute for Works of Religion, Vatican Radio, 15 February 2013
- IOR-Directorate offers resignations, VaticanInsider, 01 July 2013
- IOR names new general director, news.va, 30 November 2013
- Interview with IOR President, Ernst von Freyberg, Vatican Radio, 31 May 2013
- Guy Dinmore, Rachel Sanderson: God’s new banker brings Teutonic thoroughness to Vatican, Financial Times, 31 May 2013
- New Vatican bank head says mission is total transparency, Reuters, 13 June 2013
- Rachel Donadio:Vatican Bank Looks to Shed Its Image as an Offshore Haven, New York Times, 30 May 2013
- Nicole Winfield: Vatican Bank President Ernst von Freyberg's Priority Is Clean Up Reputation Of Institute for Religious Works, Huffington Post, 31 May 2013
- Philip Pullella: New Vatican bank head vows zero tolerance with suspect accounts, Reuters, 31 May 2013
- Vatican Information Service: German Lawyer Ernst von Freybreg, New President of Supervisory Board of IOR, 15 February 2013