This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2020)
Erotic furniture, also known as sex furniture, is any form of furniture that is designed to act as an aid to sexual activity. While almost anything can be used for this purpose, the most common form of furniture employed for sexual activity is the bed, but couches and sofas come a close second. These are not strictly erotic furniture, as their primary use is not erotic.
Specifically designed furniture for erotic purposes can include:
- Devices for spanking and flagellation such as the Berkley Horse
- Sex swings and fisting slings.
- Sex Gliders
- Devices for using gravity to aid in lovemaking without the use of complicated slings.
- Various types of angled foam wedges or specially designed sex pillows that support various sex positions. Liberator Shapes are an example, as are the ergonomically based Lovebumpers.
- Bondage equipment such as stocks and pillories
- Smotherboxes and other queening stools used for facesitting.
- The Love Chair, a curious chair made of curved tubular steel, articulated in several ways and designed to facilitate otherwise impossible sexual acts. This device was advertised in men's magazines in the mid-1970s, and is seen in at least one of Nina Hartley's Guide to videos, but it is no longer commercially available.
- Sawhorses, which are shaped much like the version used for carpentry, but have a sharpened edge and are primarily sat on to achieve a feeling similar to a crotch rope in bondage.
The British King Edward VII, who was heavily overweight, used a specially constructed "love seat" (siege d'amour ) when he visited the famous brothel, Le Chabanais in Paris. The piece still exists and a replica is exhibited at the Musée de l'Erotisme in Pigalle.
Edward Gorey's The Curious Sofa, (1961), a neo-Victorian pseudo-porno satire consisting of non-illustrations—there's always a potted palm or something in the way. One caption reads "That evening in the library Scylla, one of the guests who had certain anatomical peculiarities, demonstrated the 'Lithuanian Typewriter', assisted by Ronald and Rupert, two remarkably well-set-up young men from the village." The Curious Sofa of the title is approached with some misgivings by the house-party guests at the end.
- Taormino, Tristan (2009-12-01). The Big Book of Sex Toys: From Vibrators and Dildos to Swings and Slings--Playful and Kinky Bedside Accessories That Make Your Sex Life Amazing. Quiver. ISBN 978-1-59233-355-4.
- "On the trail of Edward VII's sex chair for threesomes". The Week UK.
- Dirty Bertie's seat of pleasure, The Times, 17 January 2004