Erskineville railway station
Southbound view from Platform 1 in October 2006
|Location||Erskineville Road, Erskineville|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||2.88 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||4 (2 side, 1 island)|
|Opened||15 October 1884|
|Rebuilt||16 June 1912|
The original Erskinville station, situated on the north side of Erskineville Road, opened on 15 October 1884 as part of the construction of the Illawarra line to Hurstville. A new station, constructed on the south side of the overbridge, opened on 16 June 1912. The lines through Erskineville were quadruplicated on 15 June 1913 with the current arrangement of platforms. Historically, the station was served by Bankstown, East Hills and Illawarra services, however since the early 1990s it has only been served by the former.
Immediately north of Erskineville, the Eastern Suburbs line emerges from underground to join the Illawarra line. This connection opened in 1979. Only the two western platforms are used, although the eastern pair are used by Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra line services when the Bankstown line is closed for engineering work.
To the west of the station, lie two incomplete platforms. They were originally built in the 1970s as part of the construction of the Eastern Suburbs line when the alignment between Sydenham and Erskineville was expanded to accommodate six tracks. This was abandoned as a cost-cutting exercise. The CityRail Clearways Project envisaged reviving this plan, with stopping trains serving only the newly completed western platforms. However, this project was cancelled in November 2008.
As part of the Sydney Metro project, in 2024 the Bankstown line will be converted to a rapid transit line with a new underground line north of Sydenham that will bypass Erskinville. It is proposed that Illawarra services will once again call at the station.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Central & the City Circle|||
|2||services to Lidcombe & Liverpool via Bankstown|||
|3||no regular services||T4 services sometimes stop when the Bankstown Line is closed for trackwork|
|4||no regular services||T4 services sometimes stop when the Bankstown Line is closed for trackwork|
Sydney Buses operate one route via Erskineville station:
- Station Information A to F State Rail Authority 1997
- Erskineville Station NSWrail.net
- Erskineville Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- Mini-Budget 2008/09 page 25 New South Wales Treasury November 2008
- "Metro fast rail fail: Illawarra line may have slower journey" St George and Sutherland Shire Leader 25 June 2015
- ”Stops bypassed by Metro Rail” Inner West Courier 30 June 2015
- "T3: Bankstown line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended January 2015].
- "Route 355 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 18 March 2013 [Reprinted June 2014].