Eruptive vellus hair cyst
Eruptive vellus hair cysts (or EVHC) are small lesions that occur most often in the chest wall, abdomen and extremities, often with a crusted surface.:680 EVHC may occur randomly, or it can be inherited as an autosomal dominant trait. The condition affects males and females equally, and sporadic cases usually appear at 4–18 years of age. The cysts appear similar clinically to steatocystoma multiplex, as well as acneiform eruptions and milia. Therapeutic techniques that are safe and effective are rare, with incision and drainage being the primary form of treatment when sporadic regression does not occur.
Histopathology is the basis of diagnosis. Stratified-squamous epithelium with a granular layer that surrounding a cystic space filled with laminated keratin and a variable number of vellus hair cysts is seen to be present. It can be difficult to distinguish from other skin conditions, including molluscum contagiosum and acne vulgaris but can be corroborated with histopathology.
The primary indication for treatment is cosmesis. Retinoids, surgery, and lasers are used as treatment modalities.
It was first described in 1977.
- Rapini, Ronald P.; Bolognia, Jean L.; Jorizzo, Joseph L. (2007). Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. p. 1685. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0.
- James, William D.; Berger, Timothy G. et al. (2006). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. Saunders Elsevier. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- Baums K, Blume-Peytavi U, Dippel E, Goerdt S, Orfanos CE (August 2000). "Guess what! Eruptive vellus hair cysts". Eur J Dermatol 10 (6): 487–9. PMID 10980478. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
- Patel, U; Terushkin, V; Fischer, M; Kamino, H; Patel, R (Dec 15, 2012). "Eruptive vellus hair cysts.". Dermatology online journal 18 (12): 7. PMID 23286797.
- Alfaro-Castellón, Patricia; Mejía-Rodríguez, Silvia Anett; Valencia-Herrera, Adriana; Ramírez, Susana; Mena-Cedillos, Carlos (1 November 2012). "Dermoscopy Distinction of Eruptive Vellus Hair Cysts with Molluscum Contagiosum and Acne Lesions". Pediatric Dermatology 29 (6): 772–773. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1470.2012.01771.x. PMID 22639880.
- Torchia, Daniele; Vega, Janelle; Schachner, Lawrence A. (1 February 2012). "Eruptive Vellus Hair Cysts". American Journal of Clinical Dermatology 13 (1): 19–28. doi:10.2165/11589050-000000000-00000. PMID 21958358.
|This Epidermal nevi, neoplasms, cysts article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|