|Born||1940 (age 77–78)|
|Alma mater||St. John's College, Oxford University|
|Spouse(s)||Helen Harbison (1944-8), Mary Nolan|
|Children||Emma and Rafi|
|Fields||History of Iran|
New York University
The City University of New York
|Thesis||Social Bases of Iranian Politics: The Tudeh Party, 1941–53 (1969)|
|Academic advisors||Keith Thomas|
|Doctoral students||Touraj Atabaki|
|Influences||George Rudé, E. P. Thompson, Christopher Hill, Eric Hobsbawm|
Born in Tehran to Iranian-Armenian parents and raised in England, he received his M.A. at Oxford University and his Ph.D. at Columbia University. He teaches at the City University of New York (CUNY) where he is Distinguished Professor of History at Baruch College and the CUNY Graduate Center. He has taught at Princeton University, New York University and Oxford University. Abrahamian was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2010.
Abrahamian served as the vice chairperson of the 'Committee to Defend Artistic and Intellectual Freedom in Iran' (CAIFI), whose chairperson was Reza Baraheni as of March 1976. The organization was "a minor SWP front" according to a report by Larry McDonald.
- Iran Between Two Revolutions (Princeton University Press,1982) (also published in Persian)
- The Iranian Mojahedin (Yale University Press, 1989)
- Khomeinism (University of California Press, 1993)
- Tortured Confessions (University of California Press, 1999)
- Inventing the Axis of Evil (coauthored) (New Press, 2004)
- A History of Modern Iran (Cambridge University Press, 2008) (Published also in Italian, Polish, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian)
- The Coup: 1953, The CIA and the Roots of Modern U.S.-Iranian Relations (New Press, 2013) (Published also in Persian)
- The Crowd in Iranian Politics (In Persian) (Cheshmeh Press, 2016).
- Eskandar Sadeghi-Boroujerdi (20 April 2017), "Iran's Past and Present: Why has the History of Iran's Left been Erased?", Jacobin, retrieved 9 December 2017
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- Charlie Rose Show Interview: http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/7175
- World Focus Interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wir5uvKkYY
- Lawrence P. McDonald (September 1977), Trotskyism and Terror: The Strategy of Revolution, ACU Education and Research Institute, p. 36
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Iranian academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Armenian academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|