|Born||Irving Rafael Mesa-Cardona
August 28, 1958
Republic of El Salvador, Central America
|Nationality||Salvadoran, Naturalized American|
|Occupation||Pastor, Author, Public Speaker|
Aaron, MariahFoster daughter Paty C
|Website||Erwin Raphael McManus|
Erwin Raphael McManus (August 28, 1958) is an author, futurist, filmmaker, and designer. He is the founder and lead pastor of Mosaic, a church in Los Angeles, California. Erwin is a popular speaker on issues related to postmodernism and postmodern Christianity, but also writes and lectures on topics such as culture, change, creativity, and leadership.
Born Irving Rafael Mesa-Cardona, in San Salvador, El Salvador, McManus was raised by his grandparents for the first years of his life. McManus, along with his brother Alex, immigrated to the United States when he was very young, joining his mother. He grew up on the east coast - primarily in Miami, Florida, but also in Queens, NY and Raleigh, NC.
The name McManus comes from his mother's second marriage. McManus was not a legal name, but his stepfather's alias and later was legalized by McManus in adulthood.
McManus studied Philosophy at Elon University and later earned his B.A. from the University of North Carolina and his M.Div. from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. He also received a Doctorate in Humane Letters from Southeastern University in Lakeland Florida.
He and his wife Kim have two children, Aaron and Mariah (married to Jake Goss), and a foster daughter, Paty.
While working on his master's degree in Dallas/Fort Worth, McManus began two congregations while serving among the urban poor. Cornerstone became nationally known for its pioneering work in urban renewal, social justice, and racial reconciliation.
He became the Metropolitan Consultant and City Strategist for the city of Dallas and served in that role as a Futurist and Urbanologist from 1990-1993, a ministry later detailed in the Erwin McManus Documentary.
He moved with his family to Los Angeles in 1993, where he worked as a futurist and thought leader and then later started Mosaic. Since the 1990s, McManus has been associated with the Leadership Network. In addition, he partners with Bethel Seminary as a lecturer and futurist.
As Lead Pastor of Mosaic, McManus speaks in multiple Sunday gatherings in Hollywood, California. Mosaic has opened multiple campuses, including Beverly Hills, Pasadena, South Bay, Whittier, Pomona, San Diego, and Berkeley.
He launched the creation of the Mosaic Alliance, a loose association of like-minded churches across the world. There are Mosaics across the world with various degrees of relationship to the original Mosaic in Hollywood.
McManus has introduced various psychological personality metrics to his church. Techniques include the Myers-Briggs type indicator and Gallup's Strengths Finder. He is currently an explorer and advisor within Awaken Group.
His speaking engagements have taken McManus to over 60 countries, speaking to over a million people, and his work is featured in films, articles, and magazines worldwide. In 2011 and again in 2014 he spoke at The Global Leadership Summit, which is put on by Willow Creek Association and founded by Bill Hybels.
He has spoken numerous times at Catalyst in Atlanta and Orange County. He is a frequent speaker at the World Leaders Conference in West Palm Beach, Florida, and has spoken at both TEDX Hong Kong and TEDX San Diego.
McManus has written nine books, three of which have won awards for writing.
His most recent book, The Artisan Soul, has won multiple awards in both the general market and the faith market. It is a Los Angeles Times and Publisher's Weekly bestseller, and a gold medal winner for the Living Now Mind book awards and the Christian Living Illumination Book Awards.
His books in order of publishing date are:
- An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind (ISBN 0764423061) (June 1, 2001)
- Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul (ISBN 0785264310) (September 4, 2003)
- The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives (ISBN 0310254876) (October 1, 2003)
- The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within (ISBN 0785264329) (February 10, 2005)
- Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment (ISBN 0785281134) (January 10, 2006)
- Stand Against the Wind: Fuel for the Revolution of Your Soul (ISBN 1404102965) (February 14, 2006)
- Seizing Your Divine Moment (ISBN 0785263160) (June 30, 2006)
- Soul Cravings (ISBN 0785214941) (November 14, 2006)
- Wide Awake (ISBN 078521495X) (July 1, 2008)
- The Artisan Soul: Crafting Your Life Into A Work Of Art (ISBN 0062270273) (February 25, 2014)
Fashion Designer and Filmmaker
In 2004, McManus became a filmmaker. He earned credits as a producer, writer, actor, and director. McManus started and owned companies in both the fashion industry and film industry. He worked as an artistic and creative director, designer, actor, producer, director, and writer. Mcmanus has won awards in fashion, and his first commercial scored number 1 on Nielsen IAG Top 10 Most Recalled Super Bowl Ads and 14 on USA Today Ad Meter during the 2010 Super Bowl.
In 2013 McManus Studios and McManus experienced a hostile takeover and lost his company unexpectedly. Deciding not to take legal actions, McManus took out loans to pay employees and finish contracted projects. McManus designed men's suits, bags, and apparel and sold them both in the US and overseas.
- Turnipseed: 2008
- Wide Awake: Short Film Series (actor, writer, director, producer) -- 2008
- Crave: Vancouver (writer) -- 2010
- A Day Without Rain (producer, writer, director) -- 2011
- Crave: Calgary—2014 (writer, director, artist)
- Interne—2015 (actor)
- Waiting For the Miracle to Come—2016 (actor)
- "Erwin Raphael McManus". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- Doss, Yvette (January 2007). Oscar Garza, ed. Rebel With a Cross. Los Angeles: Emmis Publishing LP. p. 69.
- Gerardo Marti. 2005. A Mosaic of Believers: Diversity and Innovation in a Multiethnic Church. Indiana University Press.
- Archipelago, World. "Erwin Raphael McManus". HarperCollins US. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- McManus, Erwin (2001). An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind. Flagship Church Resources. ISBN 0764423061.
- "Independent Publisher". Independent Publisher. 2015.
- "Publisher's Weekly". 3/10/14. Check date values in:
- "Independent Publisher".
- "LA Times".
- "Erwin Raphael McManus". IMDB -- Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "World Over".
- "McManus Online Home". McManus Online. Wayback Machine. Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "USA Today".
- "Christianity Today".