McManus in June 2019
Irving Rafael Mesa-Cardona
August 28, 1958
|Nationality||Salvadorian, Naturalized American|
|Occupation||Pastor, Author, Public Speaker|
Foster daughter Paty C
|Website||Erwin Raphael McManus|
Erwin Raphael McManus (August 28, 1958) is an author, futurist, filmmaker, and designer. He is the lead pastor of Mosaic, a Southern Baptist affiliated emerging church in Los Angeles, California. Erwin is a speaker on issues related to postmodernism and postmodern Christianity, and also writes and lectures on culture, identity and change, and other topics.
Born Irving Rafael Mesa-Cardona, in San Salvador, El Salvador, McManus was raised by his grandparents for the first years of his life. McManus, along with his brother Alex, immigrated to the United States when he was young,[when?] joining his mother. He grew up on the east coast - primarily in Miami, Florida, but also in Queens, NY and Raleigh, NC.
The name McManus comes from his mother's second marriage. McManus was not a legal name, but his stepfather's alias and later was legalized by McManus in adulthood.
McManus studied Philosophy at Elon University and later earned his B.A. in psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his M.Div. from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. He also received a Doctorate in Humane Letters, an honorary degree, from Southeastern University in Lakeland, Florida.
He and his wife Kim have three children.
While working on his master's degree in Dallas/Fort Worth, McManus began two congregations while serving among the urban poor.
He became the Metropolitan Consultant and City Strategist for the city of Dallas and served in that role as a Futurist and Urbanologist from 1990-1993.
He moved with his family to Los Angeles in 1993 and became senior pastor of The Church on Brady in East Los Angeles. He later changed the name to Mosaic. Since the 1990s, McManus has been associated with the Leadership Network. In addition, he partners with Bethel Seminary as a lecturer and futurist.
As lead pastor of Mosaic, McManus speaks in multiple Sunday gatherings in Hollywood, California. Mosaic has opened multiple campuses, including Hollywood, Venice, Pasadena, Orange County, and Seattle.
McManus has used psychological personality metrics in his church, such as the Myers-Briggs type indicator and Gallup's Strengths Finder. He is currently an advisor with the Awaken Group, a transformation design company.
McManus is a sought out motivational speaker by Fortune 100, Fortune 500, and cultural brands, such as Nike, HYPEBEAST, Sony, Fox News, Apple, Liberty University, TED, and more. He speaks on topics like reinventing organizations, culture, community, equality, humanity, leadership, general motivation, futuristic ideas, inspiration, and spirituality.
He earns between $20,000 to $30,000 per public speaking engagement.
"I don’t have data on this, but I'm going to guess that we probably have more people who identify themselves in the gay community at Mosaic" he adds. "And so our posture has always been we're for everybody.”
On June 25, 2019, the writer of the article, Emily Jensen, updated it after several verified ex-Mosaic staff members claimed that McManus's position on the LGBTQ community is false, and that he and the church itself are anti-LGBTQ. They also claimed that McManus leadership training spoke less of women, treated the homeless poorly, and do not allow LGBTQ members to be in church leadership positions.
McManus responded by saying, "To be clear anyone and everyone is welcome at Mosaic. Mosaic is one of the most diverse communities that exists. There are currently many people of varied race, color, ethnicity, economic status, sexual orientation, and religious beliefs who attend Mosaic."
McManus has written twelve books:
- An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind (ISBN 0764423061) (June 1, 2001)
- Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul (ISBN 0785264310) (September 4, 2003)
- The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives (ISBN 0310254876) (October 1, 2003) Este libro no es de MacManus, sino de Michael Horton.
- The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within (ISBN 0785264329) (February 10, 2005)
- Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment (ISBN 0785281134) (January 10, 2006)
- Stand Against the Wind: Fuel for the Revolution of Your Soul (ISBN 1404102965) (February 14, 2006)
- Seizing Your Divine Moment (ISBN 0785263160) (June 30, 2006)
- Soul Cravings (ISBN 0785214941) (November 14, 2006)
- Wide Awake (ISBN 078521495X) (July 1, 2008)
- The Artisan Soul: Crafting Your Life Into A Work Of Art (ISBN 0062270273) (February 25, 2014)
- The Last Arrow: Save Nothing for the Next Life (ISBN 1601429533) (September 5, 2017)
- The Way of the Warrior: An Ancient Path to Inner Peace (ISBN 1601429568) (February 26, 2019)
Fashion Designer, Filmmaker, and TV Personality
Since 2004, McManus has worked as a filmmaker in multiple roles. McManus started and owned companies in both the fashion industry and film industry.
In 2013 McManus Studios and McManus shut down after investors pulled funding from the failing business. McManus took out loans to pay employees and finish contracted projects.
In 2020, McManus launched a TV Show called McManus on Trinity Broadcasting Network's Hillsong Channel with his son Aaron McManus. The show discusses with a select group of millennials the hottest, hardest topics and current events, bringing unique insight, scriptural wisdom, and clarity. 
|2008||Wide Awake (short film series)||writer, director, producer, and actor|
|2010||Crave: The Documentary||writer, director, and producer|
|2011||A Day Without Rain||writer, director, and producer|
|2012||Signs (short film series)||writer, director, and producer|
|2012||Crave: Calgary||writer, director, and artist|
|2013||Interne||producer and actor|
|2018||Waiting for the Miracle to Come||actor|
- "Mosaic". mosaic.org. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Erwin Raphael McManus". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Southern Baptist Convention > Mosaic LA". www.sbc.net. Retrieved 2019-09-04.
- Doss, Yvette (January 2007). Oscar Garza (ed.). Rebel With a Cross. Los Angeles: Emmis Publishing LP. p. 69.
- Gerardo Marti. 2005. A Mosaic of Believers: Diversity and Innovation in a Multiethnic Church. Indiana University Press.
- Archipelago, World. "Erwin Raphael McManus". HarperCollins US. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- McManus, Erwin (2001). An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind. Flagship Church Resources. ISBN 0764423061.
- "yelō". Archived from the original on 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2008-06-11.
- McManus, Erwin [@erwinmcmanus] (2018-11-01). "Today I had the privilege of launching the Nike Coaching Series! I love Nike as a brand and equally love them as a culture and a community. #Justdoit @Nike #COACHpic.twitter.com/KXTEVZ4vwx" (Tweet). Retrieved 2019-07-03 – via Twitter.
- Author; speaker; futurist; Developing, Innovator Who Specializes in; Creativity, Unleashing. "Erwin McManus | Premiere Speakers Bureau". premierespeakers.com. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- "Biography of Erwin McManus for Appearances, Speaking Engagements". www.allamericanspeakers.com. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- Jensen, Emily. "Church and Streetwear: A Match Made in Heaven? (UPDATE)". HYPEBEAST. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- "Christianity Today".
- "TBN Hillsong Channel - McManus".