|Minister President of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern|
6 October 2008 – 4 July 2017
|Preceded by||Harald Ringstorff|
|Succeeded by||Manuela Schwesig|
October 18, 1949 |
Sprockhövel, West Germany
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
Early life and career
Being a member of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, he has held various positions in the government of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern since 1998 - first as a state secretary, later as Minister for Justice, and since 2006 as Minister for Social Affairs. In 2007, he became chairman of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's Social Democratic Party. In 2008, he succeeded Harald Ringstorff as Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's prime minister. He is also a member of the German-Russian Friendship Group set up by the German Bundesrat and the Russian Federation Council.
In the 2016 state elections, Sellering and his SPD garnered a better-than-forecast 30.6 percent. He had campaigned on local issues, urging voters to focus on jobs creation in the wind turbine sector, decentralized integration of refugees and pension parity with Germany's western regions.
Between October 2016 and May 2017, Sellering chaired the Conference of Ministers-President. He was a SPD delegate to the Federal Convention for the purpose of electing the President of Germany in 2017.
On May 30th, 2017, Sellering announced his resignation from all official political positions after he had been diagnosed with lymph cancer that needed immediate treatment. He proposed as his replacement Manuela Schwesig.
Sellering is known for taking a hard line against neo-Nazis and for supporting families.
- Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Patron
- Deutsches Museum, Member of the Board of Trustees
- KfW, Member of the Board of Supervisory Directors (2013-2015)
- handelsblatt, 22.8.2008, "Der adrette Jurist" 
- Merkel's CDU trounced in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania Deutsche Welle, September 4, 2016.
- German governor is ill, prompting change to Merkel's Cabinet Yahoo!, May 30, 2017.
- 2012 Annual Report KfW.
- 2015 Annual Report KfW.
- Erwin Sellering im Portrait at nachrichten.t-online, 24 August 2008
- Media related to Erwin Sellering at Wikimedia Commons