During his time in office, Teufel agreed with President Boris Yeltsin on a series of economic and technical cooperation agreements with Russia, including a high-level joint commission to oversee several institutes in Russia where business administrators, agronomists and scientists will be trained, and also direct a variety of exchange programs. Among other projects, Teufel oversaw the merger of two regional utilities to form EnBW in 1997 as well as the creation of regional public broadcasting corporation Südwestrundfunk (SWR) in 1998.
On the European level, Teufel represented Baden-Württemberg on the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) from 1994. Between 2002 and 2003, he also represented Germany’s federal states in the Convention on the Future of Europe.
In October 2004, Teufel announced that he was to step down as Minister-President and Chairman of the Baden-Württemberg CDU, effective 19 April 2005. Günther Oettinger was elected as his successor by CDU internal party pre-elections. His referendum win – with 60.6 percent of the vote versus 39.4 percent for State Education Minister Annette Schavan – was widely seen at the time as a defeat for Teufel, who had promoted Schavan as his preferred successor.
He did resign on 19 April 2005, effecting the memorable line in German short news: "Joseph Ratzinger elected Pope Benedict XVI. Teufel [German: Devil] resigned."
Life after politics
- Christliches Jugenddorfwerk Deutschlands (CJD), Honorary Member of the Board of Trustees
- Christival, Member of the Board of Trustees
- donum vitae, Member of the Board of Trustees
- International Hugo Wolf Academy, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Karl Schlecht Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Konrad Adenauer Foundation (KAS), Member of the Board of Trustees
- Research Center for International and Interdisciplinary Theology (FIIT) at the Heidelberg University, Member of the Advisory Board
- University of Freiburg, Member of the Advisory Board
- University of Tübingen, Honorary Senator
- Franco-German Institute, President
- Documentation and Cultural Centre of German Sinti and Roma, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Jerusalem Foundation Germany, President (1993-2006)
- Central Committee of German Catholics (ZdK), Member (1983-2008)
Teufel is an honorary member of A.V. Cheruskia Tübingen, a catholic student fraternity which is a member of the Cartellverband.
- Maß & Mitte – Mut zu einfachen Wahrheiten, Johannis-Verlag Lahr 2006, ISBN 3-501-05181-6.
- Ehe alles zu spät ist: Kirchliche Verzagtheit und christliche Sprengkraft, Herder Verlag, Freiburg u.a. 2013, ISBN 978-3-451-30907-6.
- Stephen Kinzer (November 24, 1991), Yeltsin Says Lost Czarist Treasure Is Traced The New York Times
- Regions bitter at being pushed to the sidelines European Voice, October 16, 1996.
- Giscard ‘Non’ to Prodi’s terms for head-to-head European Voice, May 14, 2003.
- Hartmut Palmer (January 21, 2002), Die Stehauffrau Der Spiegel.
- 2015 Annual Report Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (LBBW).
- Board of Trustees Christival.
- Board of Trustees donum vitae.
- Board of Trustees International Hugo Wolf Academy.
- Board of Trustees Karl Schlecht Foundation.
- Board of Trustees Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
- Advisory Board Research Center for International and Interdisciplinary Theology (FIIT) at the Heidelberg University.
- Advisory Board University of Freiburg.
- Honorary Senators University of Tübingen.
- Board of Trustees Documentation and Cultural Centre of German Sinti and Roma.
- CV of ErwinTeufel
- Erwin Teufel on Landeszentrale politische Bildung
- Newspaper Spiegel: Erwin Teufel
- Badische Zeitung: Erwin Teufel
- Newspaper Sueddeutsche: Erwin Teufel
- Newspaper Handelsblatt: Erwin Teufel
- Newspaper Esslinger Zeitung: Erwin Teufel
- Newspaper Die Welt: Erwin Teufel
Media related to Erwin Teufel at Wikimedia Commons
| Minister President of Baden-Württemberg