|dog's tooth violet|
Erythronium dens-canis (common name dog's-tooth-violet or dogtooth violet) is a bulbous herbaceous perennial flowering plant in the family Liliaceae, growing to 25 cm (10 in). It is native to central and southern Europe from Portugal to Ukraine. It is the only naturally occurring species of Erythronium in Europe. Despite its common name, it is not closely related to the true violets of genus Viola.
Erythronium dens-canis produces a solitary white, pink or lilac flower at the beginning of spring. The petals (growing to approx. 3 cm) are reflexed at the top and yellow tinted at the base. The brown spotted leaves are ovate to lanceolate and grow in pairs. The white bulb is oblong and resembles a dog's tooth, hence the common name "dog's tooth violet" and the Latin specific epithet dens-canis, which translates as "dog's tooth".
- varieties formerly included
Numerous names have been coined at the varietal level for plants once considered to be included within Erythronium dens-canis. None of the European varieties is now recognized as meriting recognition but some of the Asian species are now regarded as distinct species. We provide links to help you find appropriate information.
- Erythronium dens-canis var. japonicumn, now called Erythronium japonicum
- Erythronium dens-canis var. parviflorum, now called Erythronium sibiricum
- Erythronium dens-canis var. sibiricum, now called Erythronium sibiricum
- The Plant List
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- Harrison, Lorraine (2012). RHS Latin for gardeners. United Kingdom: Mitchell Beazley. p. 224. ISBN 9781845337315.
- Linnaeus, Carl von. 1753. Species Plantarum 1: 305.
- "Erythronium dens-canis". Royal Horticultural Society. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Erythronium dens-canis". Plants for a future. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Media related to Dog's tooth violet (Erythronium dens-canis) at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Dog's tooth violet (Erythronium dens-canis) at Wikispecies
|This Liliales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|