This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Established||30 January 2004|
|Location||Porta de Santa Catalina, 10|
Palma, Mallorca, Spain Coordinates:
|Public transit access||City Bus 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 46|
Tourist bus 50
Founded on 30 January 2004, Es Baluard exhibits a collection of contemporary art, of Balearic artists or made by those related somehow to the Balearic Islands. In addition to showing the pieces that form the museum's permanent collection, Es Baluard celebrates temporary exhibitions. Since its foundation, Es Baluard has hosted works of Rebecca Horn (2004), Fabrizio Plessi (2004), Picasso (2006), Jaume Plensa (2006), Andy Warhol (2006), Joan Miró (2006 y 2008), Santiago Rusiñol (2007), Anselm Kiefer (2009), Robert Mapplethorpe (2009) and Joana Vasconcelos (2009), Juan Uslé (2010), Alberto García-Alix (2010), Eduardo Arroyo (2011) and Christian Boltanski (2011), among others.
Fundació Es Baluard administers the museum. The foundation is formed by Govern de les Illes Balears (the Balearic Government), Consell de Mallorca (Mallorca Council), Ajuntament de Palma (Palma Municipal Council) and Fundació d’Art Serra. In 2008 was constituted the Acquisitions Commission, which is formed by internal and external experts with the aim of increasing the collection.
Museum Es Baluard is in a privileged place, the old bastion of Sant Pere, a 16th-century building on Palma's bay and designed by the Italian engineer Giovan Giacomo Palearo Fratin ‘El Fratín’. The Museum area is 5.027 square meters, half of them for exhibition. Architects Jaime and Luís García Ruiz, Ángel Sánchez-Cantalejo and Vicente Tomás are the enlargement's authors.
Es Baluard Museu d’Art Modern i Contemporani de Palma's collection includes works by the major artists and movements that have converged and are converging in the Balearic Islands since the inception of the twentieth century until today and relates them to works from other artistic contexts in Spain and abroad.
Starting at the time in which pictorial modernism spurred the renovation of landscape painting in Spain and a large group of primarily Catalan painters –Joaquim Mir, Santiago Rusiñol, Hermen Anglada-Camarasa, Joaquín Sorolla and Antoni Gelabert-, coincided in Mallorca, and following with a tour of the avant-gardes up to the major movements of the mid-twentieth-century – with artists such as Picasso, Joan Miró, Fernand Léger, René Magritte, Picabia, Van Dongen, Nicolas de Staël, Juli Ramis, Poliakoff, Wifredo Lam, among others - the Es Baluard collection lays special emphasis on the artistic currents of the second half of the past century and early years of the twenty-first century. In this sense, it covers the broad diversity of contemporary languages: from painting and sculpture to drawing, photography, video and installations with works by Marina Abramović, Miquel Barceló, Jim Bird, Christian Boltanski, José Manuel Broto, Miguel Angel Campano, Ramon Canet, Maria Carbonero, Anthony Caro, Toni Catany, Alberto García-Alix, Rebecca Horn, Ñaco Fabré, Anselm Kiefer, Imi Knoebel, Jorge Mayet, Joan Morey, José María Sicilia and Juan Uslé, etc.
The Es Baluard Museu d’Art Modern i Contemporani de Palma collection contains works acquired by the museum each year with the assessment of the Acquisitions Commission (which includes in-house and external experts), works from the institutions that make up the Board (Govern de les Illes Balears (the Balearic Government), Consell de Mallorca (Mallorca Council), Ajuntament de Palma (Palma Municipal Council) and Fundació d’Art Serra, temporary loans from other institutions, businesses, artists and private collections and donations that adhere to the collection’s criteria in all cases.
The current exhibition of the permanent collection at Es Baluard is entitled Implosió, and it was curated by Es Baluard´s director Nekane Aramburu. It was opened to the public on Thursday 30 January 2014 during the 10th Anniversary celebrations of Es Baluard, by Jose Ramon Bauza. He talked about the significance of Es Baluard for exhibiting the artwork of famous artists such as Miro, Picasso and Keifer alongside that of contemporary artists. He emphasised the importance of cultural tourism on a global scale, of its relevance to tourism in Mallorca and the responsibility that the people of Mallorca had to look after, celebrate and visit the gallery. He praised the founder Pera Siera as a visionary who had great courage and vision to see Es Baluard evolve into the inspirational museum it has become, and especially the importance of the public / private collaboration. He formally declared the exhibition open and welcomed the people of Mallorca to enjoy the exhibition! A performance by Janksy was broadcast live on the Fluido Rosa programme on RNE Radio 3, which consisted of poetry performed by Laila MaLo and music by Jaume Reus. The room was filled to bursting with an avid and entertained audience that were reluctant to leave to allow space for new arrivals. People hovered and jumped at the entrance, eager to catch a glimpse of the artwork projected to accompany the performance.
Temporary exhibitions and projects
- Implosió (cel·lular). Carte Blanche for Agustín Fernández Mallo
- Marta Pujades. Crowned men
- La Mer au Milieu des Terres // Mare Medi Terraneum
- Gabinet. Ignasi Aballí
- Gabinet. Jean Marie del Moral. El ojo de Miró
- Eduardo Kac. Lagoogleglifo
- Michael Najjar. Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon?
- Reproductibilitat 2.0. Col·lecció Macba
- Observatori. Logbook: Natasha Hall and her crew
- Sound Ressonances. Composition by Hayden Chisholm
- Gabinet. Manolo Millares
- Natxa Pomar. Las Hermanitas
- Rafel Joan. Paintings 1983 - 2013
- Project Moscow. Primavera Russa
- Gabinet: 6x6
- Saltando Muros
- Tabula Rasa or the (im)possibility of building a generation
- Miao Xiaochun. Microcosmos
- Marcelo Viquez. Riesgo Necesario
- Reproductibilitat 1.2. Fundación Aena + Es Baluard
- Implosió. Carte Blanche for CòmicNostrum
- Mallorca and interpretation of the landscape. Works from the Es Baluard's collection
- Llorenç Ginard. Sculptures
- José Manuel Broto. Great Scores
- Cabinet: Pep Bonet
- Reproductibilitat 1.0 and 1.1
- Amparo Sard. Pareidolia
- Esther Ferrer. In four movements
- Realities / Fictions. Works from the Es Baluard's collection
- Joan Bennàssar. The wine I drink tastes of the sea
- Toni Catany. Works from the Es Baluard's collection
- Pictorial Fragments, 1980-2010. Views of Es Baluard's Collection
- The Perception of Space. Works from the Es Baluard's Collection
- Biblioteca Nacional de España. Otras Miradas
- Extimacy. Art, intimacy and technology
- Eduardo Arroyo. Pintar la literatura (Painting Literature)
- Jorge Mayet. Arquitectura para las almas
- Antoni Socías + Caramo Fanta. Mi otro yo con algunas contradicciones
- Julião Sarmento. 2000-2010
- Christian Boltanski. Signatures
- Los Carpinteros. Handwork–Constructing the World. Works from the Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Contemporary Collection
- Juan Uslé. Nudos y Rizomas (knots and rhizomes)
- The Sites of the Latin American Abstraction. Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection
- Dietrich Klinge. Transformations
- Lou Reed. Romanticism
- In Private 2. The unamiable option
- Pep Llambías. Septem
- Alberto García-Alix. Lo más cerca que estuve del paraíso
- The Murmur of the World. From Informalism to the New Abstractions, 1950-2010. Curator: Juan Manuel Bonet
- Anselm Kiefer. Works from Collection Grothe
- Power Food
- Study: Mallorca and the Landscape's Renovation
- Robert Mapplethorpe
- Ilya & Emilia Kabakov. Under the snow
- Juli Ramis visits Picasso, Marie Laurencin, Wifredo Lam, Wols, Archie Gittes, Joan Miró, André Masson, Nicolaes de Staël, Poliakoff, Fautrier.
- Joan Cortés. Memòria de l'aigua (Water's Memory)
- Crossed Landscapes. Views of Es Baluard's Collection
- Joana Vasconcelos. Garden of Eden #2
- Light Messages. Chema Alvargonzález, Daniel Canogar, Bernardí Roig
- Jason Martin. Nomad
- En privat 1
- Francesca Martí. Echoes
- 80 and Driftings. Glimpses of Es Baluard Collection
- Animar-te. 20 años de animación por ordenador en la UIB
- Joan Miró. Posters
- Santiago Calatrava
- Century of Landscape Painting in the Balearic Islands
- Rusiñol, Passion for Mallorca. From Luminism and Symbolism to the Japanese Print
- Antonio Calvo Carrión
- M+M Collection. Passion for Photography
- Mallorcan Landscapes. The Es Baluard Collection
- Joaquim Mir torna a Mallorca
- Joan Miró and Ubú's World. Ubu aux Baléares
- Amidament de Joan Coromines by Perejaume
- Jerusalem. Installation by Jaume Plensa
- La paraula pintada (The Painted Word)
- Picasso and Books. Bancaja Collection
- Andy Warhol
- The Games and Paths of Joan Brossa
- Erró. Retrospective. 1958-2004
- Planning Shapes. Contemporary Sculptures in the Mallorca Collections
- Becthold 80. Beginnings and Recent Work
- Light Imprisoned in the Belly of the Whale. Rebecca Horn
- I lavatoi dell’anima. Fabrizio Plessi
- The multiplied gesture: ceramics of Picasso
"Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard" was the first training program launched by the museum. This Es Baluard's project from the Training Area aimed to promote professionalism in the arts from the museum institution, delivering tools of analysis, knowledge and coaching of the professional artistic practice. This project was open to all professional artists or those in the process of professionalization, regardless of age, that fitted into a coaching program.
"Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard": aimed to develop specialized modules to assess and promote the careers of artists worldwide, but with special emphasis on artists from the Balearic Islands. It was based, among others, on: the analysis and review of portfolios and dossiers, the concept of being an artist today, copyright, museums galleries and spaces in between relations. The project was a collaboration of several organizations of Palma and renowned professionals.
The experts were:
- Nekane Aramburu, Es Baluard's director.
- Javier Duero, curator and cultural mediator.
- Fernando Gómez de la Cuesta, curator and art critic.
- Piedad Solans, curator and researcher.
The selected artists:
- Abraham Calero
- Pedro Vidal
- Beatriz Regueira
- Claudio Capellini
- Laura Torres
- Jaume Orejuela
- Maria José Ripoll
- Pau Caracuel
- Xim Llompart
- Marta Pujades
- Anne de Harlez
- Isabel Ramoneda
- Ana Darder
- Julià Panades
- Natxa Pomar
- Pilar Soberón
- Natasha Hall
- Maria Uribe
Some of these artists participated in an exhibition in The Tower of Es Baluard entitled ´Artquitecture´ 09.18.2014 - 09.26.2014.
There is recognition of the transient nature of matter and space-time conditions around us, started in process art, which is present in the activation of a cube of more than a ton of salt, by some of the artists from the Les Cliniques study group of Es Baluard, during the Nit de l'Art in Palma. The cube of nearly a ton of salt though its action of absorption/condensation of humidity manifests the changing processes and states of water, reflecting in its composition the urgent situation of the planet. Noting the temporal dimension to which the salt is subjected, emphasises the importance of its process, and at the same time the evacuation of the art space, by proposing an art in decomposition, ephemeral, in symbiosis with the environment, sustainable in terms of resources and materials of place, using the salt of the Salinas of Es Trenc.
The project was the result of synergies between Abraham Calero, Pau Caracuel, Natasha Hall, Anne de Harlez, Mar Ripoll, Pilar Soberón y Pedro Vidal, and leading to a reflection on art and its connection / historic subordination of architecture from contingency in response to the proposal of COAIB the Official college of Architects of the Balearic Islands called “Cube of condensation" that proceeds from the eleventh century to the twenty-first century, from the experimental space of The Tower of Es Baluard, as a project hotel, to the cube in the paseo del Born.
- "Nekane Aramburu Twitter page". Twitter. Retrieved 5 January 2015.[full citation needed]
- "Majorca Daily Bulletin article". Grupo Serra. Majorca Daily Bulletin. Retrieved 1 February 2014.[full citation needed]
- "About". Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard. WordPress.com. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard". Es Baluard. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "La edición 2013-2014 de Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard contará con 18 participantes". Les Clíniques d'Es Baluard. WordPress.com. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Les Clíniques at the Nit de l'Art: from Cub del Born to The Tower of Es Baluard". Es Baluard. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Official Es Baluard museum website
- Video "Es Baluard, Museum of Modern Art" English, 1:07 min., Mallorca TV Teleweb+
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Es Baluard.|