Her luminous fluorescent red Fifth Lion sculpture roared A.I. generated collective poetry to crowds in Trafalgar Square during London Design Festival September 2018. The Singing Tree, her collective choral carol installation at the V&A, fused machine-learning with sound and light and was viewed by over ten million visitors during Christmas 2017; her Mirrormaze generated queues around the block in Peckham in 2016. Further explorations of labyrinthine and map based geometries led to the 7000 square foot hotel room odyssey Room2022 at Art Basel Miami 2017 and the projection-mapped ovoid model city MASK at Somerset House 2018.
The visionary designer collaborated with celebrated theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli on an interpretation of The Order of Time read by Benedict Cumberbatch at the legendary rooftop art space, BOLD Tendencies in Peckham in September 2018.
Her practice began in narrative theatre and experimental opera and she has made large scale touring stage sculptures in collaboration with Beyoncé, Kanye West, Adele, U2, The Weeknd, Lorde, The National Theatre and Royal Opera House in London. Devlin also designed the London Olympic Closing Ceremony in 2012 and the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
Her work has been awarded three Olivier Awards, she is a fellow of University of the Arts London, and was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2015 New Year Honours.
- Acharya, Dipal (6 September 2018). "My London: Es Devlin". Evening Standard.
- Polianskaya, Alina (11 September 2018). "5 installations to catch at London Design Festival". Design Week.
- Staff, Adweek (10 June 2018). "11 Visual Artist Who Enlighten, Inspire and Bring the Impossible to Life". AdWeek.
- Burroughs, Milly (24 September 2018). "The Power of Public Spaces, According to Es Devlin". AnOther.
- Degun, Gurjit (1 December 2017). "Beyoncé set designer Es Devlin creates 'singing tree' for V&A". Campaign.
- Steven, Rachel (21 September 2016). "Es Devlin creates mirror maze installation in Peckham for Chanel and i-D". creative Review.
- Zara, Janelle (9 January 2018). "Beyoncé and Kanye's Stage Designer Is Making Major Waves in the Art World". Architectural Digest.
- Knight, Bill (19 May 2018). "Highlights from Photo London 2018 - something old, something new". The Arts Desk.
- Buck, Louisa (24 September 2018). "Es Devlin, Carlo Rovelli and the Multi-Story Orchestra light up Peckham". The Art Newspaper.
- Glover, Julian (11 September 2018). "Bold Tendencies is bringing opera to a multi-storey car park in Peckham". The Evening Standard.
- Sinclair Scott, Fiona (22 September 2018). "The transformative and magical power of Es Devlin's stage design". CNN.
- Campos, Guy (4 September 2018). "Carmen on the lake stage prefers projectors to LED". AV Magazine.
- Williams, Holly (7 February 2015). "Es Devlin interview: Meet Britain's most astonishingly prolific designer". Independent.
- Morris, Ali (15 September 2017). "Stage light: supercharged set designer Es Devlin on 20 years of triumphs and what's next". Wallpaper.
- Rawsthorn, Alice (18 September 2018). "How Visionary Stage Designer Es Devlin Recreated Her Magic In Her London Home". W.
- Hass, Nancy (1 October 2015). "Meet the Artist Behind Kanye West's Elaborate Stage Sets". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Ryder, Bethan (September 2018). "Smart Set". Wallpaper.
- Gibson, Eleanor (7 March 2017). "Es Devlin creates bowl-shaped set as backdrop for virtual reality-themed play". Dezeen.
- Aspden, Peter (30 May 2014). "Es Devlin's designs for (cultural) life". Financial Times.
- Medford, Sarah (2 November 2016). "Es Devlin's Otherworldly Stage Sets". Wall Street Journal.
- Fishwick, Samuel (19 September 2016). "Es Devlin on working with Kanye West and Beyonce, and creating her first solo exhibition". The Evening Standard.
- McLaughlin, Aimée (6 February 2018). "5 talks to catch at Design Indaba 2018". Design Week.
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N12.