Esaias van de Velde (17 May 1587 (baptized) – 18 November 1630 (buried) ) was a Dutch landscape painter.
He was born in Amsterdam, where his Flemish father Hans had fled as a Protestant in 1585. He probably studied under his father and Gillis van Coninxloo, a landscape painter from Antwerp and a follower of Pieter Brueghel the Elder. Van de Velde worked in Haarlem from 1610 to 1618, and joined the Haarlem Guild of St. Luke in 1612 along with Hercules Segers. This event in many ways established realistic landscape paintings as a separate genre in that part of the Netherlands. Van de Velde had been influenced by the German painter Adam Elsheimer to develop his paintings in a more naturalistic direction than his tutor and to adopt a low viewpoint and a triangular composition.
In addition to landscapes, van de Velde also painted genre and military paintings. He died in The Hague in 1630, where he had been Court Painter to the Prince Maurits and Frederick Henry. According to the RKD, he was influenced by Roelant Savery and Jan van de Velde. His pupils were Pieter van Laer, Jan Martszen de Jonge, Pieter de Molyn, Pieter de Neyn, Anthony van de Velde (II), and Jan van Goyen. He influenced Palamedes Palamedesz. (I), Nicolaes de Quade van Ravesteyn, Adriaen Adriaensz Ghibons, Jacob Wynants, Zacharias Blijhooft, Abraham Vinck, Willem Viruly, and Jan Asselyn.
Works in museum collections
- Courtly Procession before Abstpoel Castle, 1619
- Robinson, William W. (2016). Drawings from the Age of Bruegel, Rubens, and Rembrandt: Highlights from the collection of the Harvard Art Museums. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Art Museums. p. 293. ISBN 9780300208047.
- Esaias Vanden Velde biography in De Groote schouburgh der Nederlantsche konstschilders en schilderessen (1718) by Arnold Houbraken, courtesy of the Digital library for Dutch literature
- Houbraken thought he was the brother of Jan van de Velde and Willem van de Velde II
- Esaias van de Velde in the RKD
- George S. Keyes, Esaias van den Velde, 1587-1630 (1984)
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
- Allen Memorial Art Museum
- Biography and painting
- Works and literature on Esaias van de Velde
- Velde (van de Velde), Dutch painters family
- Vermeer and The Delft School, a full text exhibition catalog from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, which contains material on Esaias van der Velde