Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad
|Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad|
Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad in 2011
|Born||3 May 1949|
|Occupation||Medical doctor and sexologist|
Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad (born 3 May 1949) is a Norwegian physician and sexologist who is also known as one of Norway's most prominent trans people. Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad was originally known as just Esben Benestad, but often publishes work in the name which includes their alias Esther Pirelli, the name which is often used by the media. Even though the Justice Department originally refused to issue supplementary identity documents in the name of Benestad's desired name, the local police eventually issued some unofficial documents.
In 2007, they took part in the reality TV series Skal vi danse and was voted out after four episodes. They told the talk show God kveld, Norge! that they was sometimes bullied by the judges because they criticised their trans identity while dancing.
Benestad has been a minor political candidate for the Liberal Party.
- Sexologi i praksis, with Elsa Almås (1997, revised 2006)
- Kjønn i bevegelse, with Elsa Almås (2001)
- Transseksualisme - hvor går vi og hvor står vi? (2002)
- Transekjønn og diagnoser (2004)
- Penisatlas (2005)
- "Får hete Esben og Esther" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. 19 October 2000. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- Lee, Irina (25 August 2000). "Vil hete Esben Esther". VG (in Norwegian). Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- Madsen, Trond (24 August 2000). "Esben vil hete Esben Esther". Agderposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- Jørgensen, Liv (14 February 2002). "Alt om min far". Dagbladet (in Norwegian). Retrieved 28 November 2006.