Bethesda Game Studios Dallas
|Escalation Studios (2007–2018)|
Number of employees
Bethesda Game Studios Dallas LLC (formerly Escalation Studios) is an American video game developer based in Dallas, Texas, founded in 2007 by Tom Mustaine, Marc Tardif, and Shawn Green. The company was briefly owned by 6waves Lolaps in 2012 and acquired by ZeniMax Media in February 2017. In August 2018, Escalation became part of Bethesda Game Studios under the name Bethesda Game Studios Dallas.
Escalation Studios was formed in 2007, co-founded by Tom Mustaine, Marc Tardif, and Shawn Green. Mustaine had previously co-founded Ritual Entertainment, while Tardif had been an executive producer and senior vice president of business development at Gearbox Software.
On January 18, 2012, social gaming company 6waves Lolapps (6L) announced that it had acquired Escalation to undisclosed terms. As a result of the acquisition, Mustaine and Tardif became Escalation's design directors, while Green became director of engineering for 6L. At the time, Escalation had around 30 employees. However, in March 2012, 6L announced that it had laid off its entire development staff, wherein Escalation would "remain active in some capacity". On May 15, 2012, Escalation announced that it had become independent again.
On February 1, 2017, Escalation Studios was announced to have been acquired by ZeniMax Media, the parent company of game publisher Bethesda Softworks. Subsequently, Escalation became part of Bethesda Game Studios, Bethesda Softworks' development division, under the name Bethesda Game Studios Dallas.
- Grubb, Jeff (February 1, 2017). "Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax acquires Doom co-developer Escalation Studios". VentureBeat.
- Wauters, Robin (January 18, 2012). "6waves Lolapps Buys Mobile Games Developer Escalation Studios". TechCrunch.
- O'Connor, Alice (February 1, 2017). "Doom helpers Escalation Studios join ZeniMax". Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- MCV Staff (February 1, 2017). "ZeniMax acquires Doom SnapMap team Escalation Studios". MCV.
- Curtis, Tom (January 18, 2012). "6waves Lolapps acquires mobile developer Escalation Studios". Gamasutra.
- Takahashi, Dean (January 18, 2012). "6waves Lolapps acquires mobile game maker Escalation Studios". VentureBeat.
- Curtis, Tom (March 19, 2012). "6waves Lolapps lays off dev staff to focus on publishing business". Gamasutra.
- admin (May 15, 2012). "We're back baby!". Escalation Studios. Archived from the original on August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- Bertz, Matt (August 10, 2018). "Escalation Studios Rebranded As Bethesda Game Studios Dallas". Game Informer.