Escape from Suburbia
|Escape from Suburbia
(Full title: Escape from Suburbia: Beyond the American Dream)
|Directed by||Gregory Greene|
|Produced by||Dara Rowland|
|Written by||Gregory Greene|
|Edited by||Dexter Ico|
|June 2007. Canadian broadcasters Doc Channel and TVOntario; USA Sundance Channel.|
Escape from Suburbia: Beyond the American Dream is a 2007 Canadian documentary film written and directed by Gregory Greene, as a sequel to Greene's film The End of Suburbia, and set to address what is termed "the upcoming energy crisis". Through interviews with individuals, Gregory Greene outlines potential solutions to the coming energy crisis.
Among the interviewees are former Governor General of Canada Ed Schreyer, author Matthew Simmons, author Richard Heinberg, author Michael Ruppert, author Jeremy Rifkin, author Thomas Homer-Dixon, U.S. Representative from Maryland Roscoe Bartlett, former CIA director James Woolsey, author and speaker James Howard Kunstler, and political activist and journalist Kate Holloway.
The film resulted from director Gregory Greene having attended a Paris conference on peak oil in 2003. Returning to Canada, he devised a trilogy of non fiction films addressing the issues global peaking of oil supplies adversely affecting modern civilization. The first of his trilogy, The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of the American Dream, deals with the problem of rising world costs in the face of dwinding supplies.
The second in the trilogy, Escape From Suburbia: Beyond the American Dream, outlines how the issue will affect modern life styles and speaks toward solutions. The film first aired on Sundance Channel in 2007, and re-aired as part of their The Green television series.
- Burrows, Matthew (August 16, 2007). "Peak oil director aims for sea change". Straight. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Documentary eyes sustainable future". Times Colonist. November 19, 2008. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Irwin, Tara (March 1, 2007). "Plotting an escape route: Greg Greene goes back to Suburbia". The Magazine. Retrieved August 10, 2012. (Subscription required (. ))
- Ballamingie, Patricia (January 1, 2008). "Suburban Dystopia and the Threat of Peak Oil: A Review of the Videos The End of Suburbia, Escape from Suburbia and Radiant City". Environments. Retrieved August 10, 2012. (Subscription required (. ))
- Hume, Christopher (June 28, 2007). "It's not too late to change world". Toronto Star. Retrieved August 10, 2012. (Subscription required (. ))
- Canavor, Natalie (March 13, 2005). "Running on Empty (page 2-4)". The New York Times. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Baldwin, Natylie (August 7, 2006). "The New Frontier". Dissident Voice. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Escape From Suburbia: Beyond the American Dream". Sundance Channel. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "‘Green’ begins season with look at eco-visionary". Youngstown Vindicator. March 31, 2008. Retrieved August 10, 2012.