|• Mayor||Mathias Geiger, as mayor candidate (Ind.)|
|• Total||12.14 km2 (4.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||138 m (453 ft)|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||06196, 06173|
Eschborn is a town in the Main-Taunus district, Hesse, Germany. It is part of the Frankfurt Rhein-Main urban area and has a population of 20,789 (2009). Eschborn is home to numerous corporations due to its location in the central part of the Frankfurt urban area.
Most of "old" Eschborn is actually on the street Hauptstraße near the Eschborn S-Bahn station, including the Rathaus (Town Hall) and some old churches. The former village of Niederhöchstadt and local part of Eschborn, with a different phone area code (same as the northern neighbour community of Kronberg) and Schwalbach (Taunus) to the West are particularly green stretches with some pretty houses, nice walks in the foothills of the Taunus mountains.
Eschborn provides expansive views of the Taunus mountain ranges, especially the 'Altkönig' and behind it the 'Feldberg' up to elevations of around 880 m above sealevel. From Eschborn to the north there are numerous hiking and biking trails leading up to these green mountain zones. In winter, along and up those hills you will even find cross country skiing slopes as well as downhill sled runs used by large crowds of people, esp. on weekends.
Buildings and architecture
Large areas of the town are still undeveloped and green expanses fuse in with several high-rises, with a brook passing by the Rathaus (Town Hall) and running close to the S-Bahn railway line, that joins the river Nidda (which in turn is a tributary of the River Main that flows through Frankfurt am Main). Among large corporations that have chosen Eschborn, the high-rises of Deutsche Bank, LG (formerly rented from Vodafone (formerly named Arcor)), Deutsche Telekom (T Systems), Ernst & Young and Deutsche Börse Group (building named "The Cube") are unmissable.
The street housing the Deutsche Bank offices is named Alfred-Herrhausen-Allee, after Alfred Herrhausen, former Chairman of Deutsche Bank who was killed on 30. November 1989 by the RAF (Red Army Faction, the Baader-Meinhof Group) assailants near his home in Bad Homburg.
Eschborn is twinned with 4 towns in Europe:
- Montgeron, France since 1985
- Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal since 2010
- Zabbar, Malta since 2010
- Viernau, Germany
The S-Bahn train station Eschborn Süd (south) happens to be the last stop on the route still falling under the Zone 50 which covers Frankfurt (excluding suburbs), and hence means a lot to employees who can commute using the same monthly pass. Two S-Bahn lines (S 3 and S4) operate to Eschborn. They both connect to Frankfurt Central Station and end in Darmstadt main station (S3) or Langen (Hesse) station (S4).
Eschborn has 4 Schools
- Hartmutschule (Elementary)
- Süd-West-Schule (Elementary)
- Westerbach-Schule (Elementary), in Niederhöchstadt
- Heinrich-von-Kleist-Schule (High School)
Economy and Business
Following Government offices are located in Eschborn:
- Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle (BAFA) - The Federal Office of Economics and Export Control 
- Bundesnetzagentur (vormals RegTP; Außenstelle Hessen) - (The Federal Network Agency)
- Bundesrechnungshof - (Branch of the federal financial management)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) - English[permanent dead link]
Many common companies have headquarters or branches located in Eschborn. Other Companies with branches in Eschborn are: Deutsche Bank AG, Siemens SE, Deutsche Telekom AG, Ernst & Young, Continental AG, and Vodafone Germany.
The FC Eschborn football team was established in 1930.
Points of interest
- Heinrich von Kleist (1777-1811) was quartered on 25 February 1795 as a young lieutenant in Eschborn. He wrote two letters to his sister.
- Karl-Heinz Koch (1924-2007), former Hessian minister of justice (CDU), father of Roland Koch
- Roland Koch (born 1958), politician, former Hessian Prime Minister (CDU), grew up in Eschborn and still lives there today.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eschborn.|
- Official website of the town of Eschborn
- Historische Gesellschaft Eschborn e. V.
- Public transportation operator
- There is literature about Eschborn in the Hessian Bibliography
- Literature about Eschborn in the German National Library catalogue
|This Hesse location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|