Esens is a municipality in the district of Wittmund, in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is situated near the North Sea coast, approx. 14 km northwest of Wittmund, and 20 km northeast of Aurich.
Esens townhall in wintertime
Aerial view of Esens's harbour Bensersiel]]
Esens is also the seat of the Samtgemeinde ("collective municipality") Esens.
Sons and daughters of the city
- David Fabricius (1564-1617), theologian, major amateur astronomer and cartographer
- Johann Hülsemann (1602-1661), Lutheran theologian
- Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (1657-1714), composer
- Christian Everhard, Prince of East Frisia (1665-1708), Prince of East Friesland from the House of Cirksena
- Enno Rudolph Brenneysen, (1669-1734), jurist and chancellor of East Friesland
- Philipp Ludwig Statius Müller (1725-1776), theologian, zoologist and professor in Erlangen
- Theodore Thomas (conductor) (1835-1905), composer, founder of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Gerhard Tappen (1866-1953), General of the Artillery
- Timo Schultz (born 1977), German footballer
- Media related to Esens at Wikimedia Commons