Eskişehir Osmangazi University
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2011)|
|Eskişehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi|
|Motto||In the light of science, In the way of modern civilization...|
|Established||18 Ağustos 1993|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Hasan GÖNEN|
- 1 About the University
- 2 Faculties and departments
- 2.1 Faculty of Medicine
- 2.2 Faculty of Dentistry
- 2.3 Faculty of Letters and Applied Sciences
- 2.4 Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
- 2.5 Faculty of Education
- 2.6 Faculty of Theology
- 2.7 Faculty of Art and Design
- 2.8 Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences
- 2.9 Faculty of Agriculture
- 2.10 Faculty of Tourism
- 2.11 Eskişehir School of Health
- 2.12 ESOGU State Conservatory
- 3 Associate degree schools
- 4 Master's and doctorate programs
- 5 Erasmus programs
- 6 Library facilities
- 7 Cultural activities
- 8 Affiliations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
About the University
Eskişehir Osmangazi University (ESOGU) is a state university that dates back to the foundation of the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture and the Faculty of Letters and Applied Sciences in 1970. These pioneering faculties became the founders of Anadolu University in 1972. These three faculties together with Eskişehir School of Health, Eskişehir Vocational School of Health Services, Institutes of Health Sciences, Metallurgy, and Applied Sciences, newly founded Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences and Institute of Social Sciences have formed Eskişehir Osmangazi University on 18 August 1993. Afterward other faculties and higher schools were founded.
ESOGU has now become one of the leading universities in central Anatolia with nine faculties, three schools, four vocational schools and five graduate schools, that are on five campuses. Currently, it has 21,529 students and 1233 teaching and research staff. In the body of ESOGU, there are fourteen research, development and innovation centres operating in cooperation with state and private institutions.
The campus has a central library, a 1,284-bed university hospital, oncology center, heart and thorax center, restaurants, sports facilities, two parks (a botanical garden, Cumhuriyet Parkı, covering an area of 80,000 m2 and Porsuk River Recreational Area located on an area of 72,000 m2).
Medium of instruction
The instruction language is Turkish except for the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering and the Department of Computer Engineering. Students who will study in any of the following programs have to attend a one year compulsory English course: Electrical&Electronics, Computer, Mechanical, Mining Engineering, International Relations, Tourism&Hotel Management. Apart from the university entrance exam language score which they use for application, Comparative Literature students must also attend a one year compulsory language course to study English, German or French.
Students are admitted according to their scores in the examinations of Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) for higher education programs in Turkey.
Faculties and departments
Faculty of Medicine
- High School Diploma and placement through a centralized national university placement examination arranged by OSYM are required to admit the Faculty of Medicine. The students have to pass all of the courses in six years education period. The achievement of a total of 360 ECTS credits and serve a 12 month rotating internship at last year is required for qualification. The degree of Medical Doctor (Master's Degree Level) is awarded to students upon successful completion of all required exams and practicals in the curriculum.
Faculty of Dentistry
- Bachelor’s Degree of Dental Practitioner, integrated master’s degree program in eight departments.
Faculty of Letters and Applied Sciences
- Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Physics, Statistics Departments
- Turkish Language and Literature, Comparative Literature, History Departments
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
The main purpose of the faculty is to educate engineers and architects. In addition to occupational laboratories and classes, shared physics and chemistry laboratories, technical and social elective courses are available in the faculty.
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Industrial Engineering Department
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department
- Computer Engineering Department
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering Department
- Geological Engineering Department
- Mining Engineering Department
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department
- Architecture Department
Faculty of Education
- Teacher Training in Computer Sciences and Teaching Technologies
- Guidance and Psychology Counseling
- Teacher Training in Science,
- Teacher Training in Primary Education
- Teacher Training in Education of the Mentally Disabled
- Teacher Training in English Language Teaching
Faculty of Theology
- Theology Department
- Department of Teacher Training in Religious And Moral Studies
Faculty of Art and Design
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Visual Communication Design
- Department of Industrial Product Design
- Department of Textile and Fashion Design
Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences
- Business Administration Department
- Economics Department
- Public Finance Department
- Political Sciences and Public Administration Department
- International Relations Department
Faculty of Agriculture
- Department of Field Crops
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Plant Protection
- Department of Biosystem Engineering
- Department of Agricultural Biotechnology
- Department of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Faculty of Tourism
- Department of Hospitality Management
- Department of Travel Management and Tourism Guidance
- Department of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts
Eskişehir School of Health
- Department of Health Official
- Department of Midwifery
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Audiology
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Department of Child Development
ESOGU State Conservatory
Associate degree schools
Vocational School of Health Services
- Ambulance and Emergency Care Technicians Program
- Medical Laboratory Program Opticians Program
- Prosthesis and Orthosis Program
- Radiology Program
- Geriatric Care Program
- Medical Documentation and Secretary Program
Eskişehir Vocational School
- Mechatronics Program
- Environmental protection and control Program
- Quality control systems and performance management Program
- Mechanics Program
Sivrihisar Vocational School
- Accounting Program
- Climating and Refregiration Program
- Computer Technology and Programming Program
- Construction Program
- Mechanics Program
Mahmudiye Vocational School
- Horsing Management, Farriery Programs
Master's and doctorate programs
Graduate School of Health Sciences
- Anatomy, Biophysics, Biostatistics, Deontology, Histology&Embryology, Medical Biology, Medical Genetics, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physicology, Public Health, Midwifery, Nursing
Graduate School of Educational Sciences
- Educational Administration, Supervision, Planning and Economics · Curriculum and Instruction · Higher Education Administration
- Psychological Counseling and Guidance·
- Elementary Classroom Teacher Education· Elementary Science Teacher Education· Mathematics Teacher Education
Graduate School of Applied Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Geological Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Architecture
- Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics
- Railway Engineering, Biotechnology, Polymer Science and Technology, Nanotechnology, Occupational Health&Safety
Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Business Administration, Public Finance, Political Sciences and Public Administration, Economics, International Relations
- Comparative Literature, Turkish Language and Literature, History, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Philosophy and Religious Studies
Graduate School of Metallurgical Sciences
The university obtained the Erasmus University Charter in 2004 and launched Erasmus exchange activities for students and teaching staff in the academic year 2005-2006.
The Central Library can accommodate up to 1000 users at a time, and there are private study rooms for researchers. The library has a small collection of books, periodicals, databases and a wireless internet connection.
There is an opportunity of reaching over 25,000 journals, articles, study reports and theses in full text by using many databases such as Science Direct and Web of Science.
Students can take part in cultural and sports activities in the university according to their fields of interest. Some of the clubs are Turkish World Friendship, Economics and Administration, Computer, Environment and Art, Youth and Sports, Mountaineering, Theatre, Modern Dance, Turkish Art Music, Folk Dance and Pop Music.
- Every year in May, students actively participate in the ESOGU spring fest.
- There are seminars, symposia, panels and conferences, given by invited speakers.
- Exhibitions in ESOGU Art Gallery take place all year round.
- A monthly university newspaper, Eskisehir Osmangazi Haber, is published with contributions from students and academicians.
- A weekly university bulletin, ESOGÜ İstikbal Gazetesi, is published for citizens.
- Radio OGU broadcasts popular music and interviews with academicians through their website.
- Tüm Uyeler. kunib.com