|Headquarters||B1, No.196, Songshou Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei, Taiwan|
Number of locations
|Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China|
Eslite Bookstore (Chinese: 誠品書店; pinyin: Chéngpǐn Shūdiàn) is one of the largest retail bookstore chains in Taiwan. It also provides one of the largest English language publications and translation materials in Taiwan. Its headquarters are in Xinyi District, Taipei.
Eslite was established in 1989. The first shop was located in Dunhua South Road, Daan District, Taipei, with a focus and emphasis on art and humanities-related books. Since then, the company has expanded and set up more shops and increased its range of titles on offer. Eslite Bookstore was the first to set up a 24-hour bookstore in Taiwan at its Dunhua store, attracting night-time readers.
Eslite also expanded into retail, and opened up Eslite Mall.
- 1974: established Chen-Jian Corp, importing wholeset kitchenware.
- 1989: established Eslite Corp, first Eslite bookstore built at Taipei Dunhua South Road.
- 1996: established Eslite Retail Group.
- 2000: established Eslite Transportation Group, expanded to food and drinks, appliances, and online sales, established Eslite Global Network Corp.
- 2001: established Eslite Logistics Corp at Nankan, Taoyuan.
- 2002: Eslite Retail group and Transportation group combined into Life group, introduced Eslite's operation motto as humanity, art, creativity, and life.
- At midnight on January 1, 2006, Eslite's new flagship bookstore, located in Taipei's Xinyi District, opened for business. With about 8,000m² of floorspace, it became the largest bookstore chain in Taiwan.
Eslite has a total of 48 branches, 1 children's bookstore, and 4 music stores in Taiwan. Most of its target market are in urban areas, such as Taipei, Keelung, Yonghe, Banqiao, Sanchong, Yilan, Zhongli, Hsinchu, Fengyuan, downtown Taichung, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, and Pingtung.
The first Eslite Bookstore outside Taiwan opened in Hysan Place in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong in 2012. It sold 706,000 books in 2014. The company opened a second Hong Kong location at Star House, Tsim Sha Tsui in 2015.
- Eslite Musicstore
- Eslite Coffeehouse
- Eslite Winery
- Eslite Teahouse
In July 2014, Eslite Hong Kong pulled Tibet-related books off its shelves out of political concerns. Taiwanese media reported that Eslite Taiwan issued an in-company document prohibiting its workers to make comments about the company on social media without approval.
- "The Eslite Corporation (诚品)". Internet Securities, Inc. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Cheng, Kris (20 September 2015). "Taiwanese bookstore opening second branch as English-language stores disappear across city". Hong Kong Free Press.
- Eslite under fire in HK censorship row
- 誠品被爆料 訂員工封嘴條款
- 誠品限制員工言論 學者嘆讓人失望
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eslite Bookstore.|