Esplugues de Llobregat
|Esplugues de Llobregat|
Pool of Can Clota
|• Mayor||Pilar Díaz Romero (2015)|
|• Total||4.6 km2 (1.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||110 m (360 ft)|
|• Density||10,000/km2 (26,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Esplugues de Llobregat (Catalan pronunciation: [əsˈpɫuɣəz ðə ʎuβɾəˈɣat]) is a municipality of the Barcelona metropolitan area. It belongs to the comarca of Baix Llobregat, Barcelona province, Catalonia, Spain.
During the recent decades Esplugues has evolved from a predominantly industrial city to a modern city with all services, preserving however its cultural and historical identity.
It is known for its characteristic old part, the only one in the Baix Llobregat area which holds an evocative and romantic part as el Carrer de Montserrat and the palace of Can Cortada, where lived the Baron Maldà, author of Calaix Tailor, the most representative work of Catalan literature of the late 18th century. Esplugues holds a remarkable natural area with parks and green spaces such as the Park of Solidarity, the Park of Torrents and the Can Vidalet Park. From the mountain of San Pedro Martir it is possible to enjoy a picturesque viewpoint of the entire town .
The German School of Barcelona and the American School of Barcelona are located in town and attract wealthy expatriate families who decide to get their kids educated there. Due to its proximity to the Camp Nou stadium, in Esplugues reside many famous footballers such as Gerard Piqué and his wife Shakira, Andres Iniesta, Dani Alves, the motorcycle racer Sete Gibernau, the former world number 1 tennis player Arantxa Sánchez and other personalities in the Spanish showbiz.
Esplugues de Llobregat has an excellent road network being connected to the highway B-20, B-23 and to the N-340 road and it's right across the Avinguda Diagonal, the most important avenue in Barcelona. The city resides 11 km (7 mi) away from the Airport of Barcelona, it's 13 km (8 mi) from far from the port of Barcelona and 10 km (6 mi) away to the Catalan capital downtown.
It is linked to Barcelona through the following bus lines: 57, 63, 67, 68, 157, metropolitan buses, and T1,T2 and T3 Trambaix lines. The only metro station in town in the one of Can Vidalet along the L3 line. Two other stops are under construction and will be opened in 2018.
The first nominal legal land section, a little portion of land with a few homes and a few inhabitants, in what is today Esplugues was made in 1096. The first documents which talk about a town called Esplugues de Llobregat date from the 14th century.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
|This section requires expansion. (January 2015)|
International schools in the municipality include:
- Carme Chacón: Minister of Defence
- Óscar Jaenada: Actor
- Mercedes Milá: Journalist
- Lorenzo Milá: Journalist
- Pilar Giménez García: Musician
- Gerard Piqué: Footballer
- "Ajuntament d'Esplugues de Llobregat". Generalitat of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "El municipi en xifres: Esplugues de Llobregat". Statistical Institute of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- Esplugues de Llobregat became part of the Baix Llobregat in the comarcal revision of 1990. Previously it formed part of the Barcelonès.
- "Adresse." German School of Barcelona. Retrieved on January 18, 2015. "Avda. Jacinto Esteva Fontanet, 105 E 08950 ESPLUGUES de Llobregat "
- "Home." American School of Barcelona. Retrieved on February 18, 2015. "Jaume Balmes, 7 08950 - Esplugues de Llobregat Barcelona - SPAIN"
- Panareda Clopés, Josep Maria; Rios Calvet, Jaume; Rabella Vives, Josep Maria (1989). Guia de Catalunya, Barcelona:Caixa de Catalunya. ISBN 84-87135-01-3 (Spanish). ISBN 84-87135-02-1 (Catalan).
- Official site (in Catalan)
||Sant Just Desvern||Barcelona|
|Sant Joan Despí||Cornellà de Llobregat||L'Hospitalet de Llobregat|