Essen West station
Bahnhof Essen West in 2007
|Location||Am Westbahnhof 1, Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Owned by||Deutsche Bahn|
|DS100 code||EENW |
|Opened||1880 to 1889|
The location of the station was selected as a result of its proximity to coal mines and in particular to the Krupp cast steel works. In the 1880s, it was opened as Altendorf station. Later it was renamed Altendorf-Cronenberg, in 1898 it was renamed Altendorf Essen-Süd. In 1901, with the incorporation of Altendorf and Frohnhausen into the city of Essen, the station was renamed Essen West.
Originally a former residence of the workers colony of Kronenberg on the north side of the former railway line and east of the present station served as the station building.
In 1912 and 1913, the current station building was built south of the line and a few hundred metres west of the old station. At times, it contained a station restaurant. After severe war damage to the entire station precinct in the Second World War, the not yet repaired Essen West station was mocking called Wasserbahnhof (“water station”). The station building was repaired with changes. The completely rebuilt station restaurant opened in March 1949.
Essen West Station has been served by two S-Bahn lines S1 and S3 since 1974 and also by line S9 since 1998.
The station is exclusively served by the Rhine-Ruhr S-Bahn. It lies on the Witten/Dortmund–Oberhausen/Duisburg railway and the Mülheim-Heißen–Oberhausen-Osterfeld Nord railway. It is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station. An underpass leads from the station building, which was built in 1913, under the four tracks. The platforms were renovated in 2012 and 2013. A kiosk has replaced the former restaurant.
|Dortmund – Bochum – Essen – Essen West – Mülheim (Ruhr) – Duisburg – Düsseldorf Flughafen – Düsseldorf – Hilden – Solingen||20 min|
|Hattingen – Bochum-Dahlhausen – Essen – Essen West – Oberhausen||20 min|
|Wuppertal – Wuppertal-Vohwinkel – Velbert-Langenberg – Essen – Essen West – Bottrop – Gladbeck West – Haltern am See||20 min|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Essen West station.|
- "Essen West". Deutsche Bahn (in German). www.bahnhof.de. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2009/2010 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2009. ISBN 978-3-89494-139-0.
- "Stationspreisliste 2016" [Station price list 2016] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. 1 December 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Essen West station operations". NRW Rail Archive (in German). André Joost. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Ein Geschenk für Essen-West". Neue Ruhr Zeitung (in German). 23 March 1949.
- "Essen West station". NRW Rail Archive (in German). André Joost. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "VRR rapid-transit plan 2013" (PDF) (in German). VRR. Retrieved 13 December 2013.