Essendon tram depot
Essendon tram depot, viewed from the southern gate in May 2013
|Location||Mount Alexander Road, Travancore|
|Roads||24 (18 in sheds, 6 outside)|
|Rolling stock||43 B2-class
|Routes served||57, 58, 59, 82|
|Opened||11 October 1906|
Essendon tram depot is located on Mount Alexander Road, Travancore, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. Operated by Yarra Trams, it is one of eight tram depots on the Melbourne tram network. Despite the name, the depot is located three kilometres from the suburb of Essendon.
The Essendon tram depot was opened in 1906 by the North Melbourne Electric Tramway & Lighting Company. It passed with the company to the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board on 1 August 1922.
Essendon depot has 24 roads, 18 of which are covered in three sheds, the remaining six are in the open to the north of the sheds. It has access from Mount Alexander Road in both directions, and also features facilities for heavy maintenance.
The following routes are operated from Essendon depot:
- 57: West Maribyrnong to City (Elizabeth Street)
- 58: Coburg West to Toorak
- 59: Airport West to City (Elizabeth Street)
- 82: Moonee Ponds Junction to Footscray
- "Melbourne's Electric Trams" Trolley Wire issue 307 November 2006 page 11
- "Victoria's Tramway Heritage" Trolley Wire issue 159 August 1975 page 14
- "Essendon Depot". Vicsig. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Swanston Trams" Trolley Wire issue 279 November 1999 page 25
- Some facts about the new Melbourne tram network Yarra Trams 19 February 2004
- "Route 57". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Route 59". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Route 82". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 1 November 2013.