|Elevation||945 ft (288 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1083981|
Essex is an unincorporated community located on the east side of Rush Creek in the central part of Jackson Township, Union County, Ohio, United States. It is located at Coordinates: , at the intersection of State Routes 37 and 739.
Essex was founded in the late 1830s. The Rush Creek Post Office was established in Essex on July 13, 1848. As of 1877, Essex contained two stores, a school-house, and a sawmill. The Post Office changed its name to Rushcreek on November 3, 1894, and was discontinued on June 29, 1907. The mail service is now sent through the Richwood Post Office.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Essex, Ohio
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '06. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2006, 78.
- Durant, Pliny A. (1883). The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county; its townships, towns ... Chicago: Beers, W. H., & co. p. 498.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rushcreek Post Office
- A.S. Mowry, C.E., Atlas of Union County, Ohio, Harris, Sutton & Hare, Philadelphia, 1877, Pg. 19.
|This Union County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|