Essie's Original Hot Dog Shop
|Essie's Original Hot Dog Shop|
|Food type||hot dogs, french fries|
|Street address||3901 Forbes Avenue|
The Original Hot Dog Shop opened in Pittsburgh, in June 1960 near Forbes Field and the University of Pittsburgh. The restaurant quickly became known for its hot dogs and large portions of French fries, although the menu also includes sandwiches, salads and pizza. In 2001, Gourmet Magazine ranked the hot dogs fourth-best in America and The New York Times named it to a list of one of the "high spots in a nation of hot-dog heavens" in 2002. The O was also featured on Rick Sebak's nationally distributed PBS program A Hog Dog Program as well as on an episode of the Food Network's Unwrapped.
As part of CNN's 100 Places to Eat series, Travel+Leisure's Laura Kiniry ranked the O's fries among the best in the U.S. The University of Pittsburgh's student newspaper The Pitt News named The O "Best French Fries" in 2002, 2003, 2004 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review "Long live "The Dirty O!"
- The 'O' Turns the Big 5-0
- Fitzgerald Michael R. (2006). "'O's hot dogs ranked fourth best in the United States". The Pitt News. Retrieved December 9, 2006. line feed character in
|author=at position 12 (help)
- Lukas Paul (July 3, 2002). "High Spots in a Nation of Hot-Dog Heavens". The New York Times. Retrieved May 29, 2008. line feed character in
|author=at position 6 (help)
- "Hot Dog Places". WQED.org. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- "Unwrapped: In the Bun Episode CW1204". FoodNetwork.com. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- Kiniry, Laura (November 26, 2012). "Best French fries in the U.S.". Travel + Leisure. CNN.com. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- Best of Grub - Best of Issue 2002
- The Best Grub - Best of Issue 2003
- Best of Food - Best of 2004
- The Best Grub - Best Of 2005
- The Best Food - Best Of 2006
- "The Best Food - Best Of 2007". The Pitt News. Archived from the original on 2007-11-14.
- "Best of 2008… The Best Grub". The Pitt News. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Post-Gazette "EEOC says Original Hot Dog Shop is racially biased"
- The Tartan "The 'O' to close on campus"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Essie's Original Hot Dog Shop.|