Map of Iloilo with Estancia highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|Legislative district||5th district of Iloilo|
|• Mayor||Rene S. Cordero|
|• Total||29.38 km2 (11.34 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)33|
Estancia is located in the northern part of the province and is 131 kilometres (81 mi) from the provincial capital, Iloilo City.
Estancia was originally a ranch for a wealthy Spaniard named Rodrigo who intermarried with a local woman. Estancia is not known for its agricultural products nor livestock but rather for its location as it is adjacent to Carles' impressive marine resources. Estancia has a fishport and a pier - these being one of the most developed in northern visayas, a banking industry, cable television, a hospital (adjacent only, that belongs to the Municipality of Balasan) and resorts.
Estancia is known around the country as a center for commercial fishing, so much so that it shares to carries the name Alaska of the Philippines, with Carles (The true Alaska of the Philippines) as a testament to its location adjacent to Carles' bountiful marine resources. The reason for this is that Carles lies in the Visayan Sea triangle, an imaginary triangle extending from the provinces of Iloilo, Negros, Cebu, Samar, and Masbate. This triangle is a part of the "Sulu-Sulaweisi Triangle" of the Sulu Sea and neighboring Indonesia where a large concentration of marine organisms coupled with climate conditions support a massive marine ecosystem. Various commercial species are harvested along Carles' waters, namely mackerel, barracuda, sardines, shad, pompano, grouper, squid, cuttlefish, shrimp, prawns, shells, seaweed and others, these all are catches from Carles' water territory and brought to Estancia's fishport.
However, as of recent years, pollution, heavy overfishing, and irresponsible fishing practices have slowly diminished the once abundant fish stocks of Estancia, and now problems like diminishing catches and unpredictable weather are beginning to surface. These factors have raised awareness in the government as well as the private sector and currently an artificial reef is off the shore of Brgy Paon in an attempt to provide juvenile fish with shelter in hopes of restocking these once populous waters.
|Population census of Estancia|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Estancia, Iloilo, was 48,546 people, with a density of 1,700 inhabitants per square kilometre or 4,400 inhabitants per square mile.
Parts of Estancia were heavily damaged by Typhoon Haiyan. The roof of Northern Iloilo Polytechnic State College (NIPSC: Estancia) was completely torn off. Estancia Central School was also hit by the said typhoon and almost all of the classrooms were totally damaged. The Principal (Dr. Gerry J. Tingson) of the said school with his utmost will is now trying to restore the damages caused by typhoon Haiyan through national and foreign aid. Other partsof the town that suffered damage included the market and the port.
- 91.5 Radyo Natin / Hot FM
- 106.7 Radyo Natin / Hearts FM
- List of Radio & Television Station in Iloilo
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Typhoon Haiyan: Images from Panay Island
- Provincial board declares Iloilo under state of calamity
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code/ Iloilo/ Estancia
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System