|Member of the House of Representatives of the Netherlands|
|Assumed office |
November 30, 2006
June 10, 1976
|Political party||Party for the Animals (Partij voor de Dieren - PvdD)|
|Occupation||Politician, marketing manager|
|Website||(in English) Party for the Animals website|
Esther Ouwehand went to secondary school in Katwijk, where she finished her vwo (Dutch pre-university education). She studied "Policy, communication and organisation" (Dutch:beleid, communicatie and organisatie) at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, which she did not finish.
Initially, she did not consider a career in politics. She left a promising career in marketing, being junior marketing manager for youth magazines at Sanoma. She has additional functions as a committee member for youth centre "De Schuit" and the foundation "Factor Welzijn" in Katwijk.
Party for the Animals
She joined the Party for the Animals in October 2002 and became the party's co-ordinator in 2004. She was responsible for the management of the party's headquarters. She also co-authored the 2006 electoral program "220x liever..".
The general elections of 2006 were considered a great success for the party. The party gained 179,988 votes (1.8%), enough for two seats in the Dutch parliament. The party became the world's first party to gain parliamentary seats with an agenda focused primarily on animal rights.
She was second on the election list, right after party chairwoman Marianne Thieme. Consequently, she became a member of parliament, even though she received a total of 4.370 write-in votes, about a hundred less than lijstduwer Kees van Kooten, who received 4.479 votes. She was sworn in on November 30, 2006.
Contrary to her wishes she was not initially placed on the election list for the general elections of 2010, but the party members voted her on the second place, so she became re-elected.
- 220x liever voor mens, dier, natuur en milieu: Verkiezingsprogramma Partij voor de Dieren, Tweede Kamerverkiezingen 2006. Esther Ouwehand c.s., Amsterdam, October 2006 
- (in Dutch) Parlement.com biography
- "Graduate programmes (Masters)" (in Dutch). Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Retrieved 2007-11-11.[permanent dead link]
- "Esther Ouwehand" (in Dutch). Tweede Kamer. Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- "150 volksvertegenwoordigers: ESTHER OUWEHAND" (in Dutch). Stichting Per Definitie. Archived from the original on 2012-02-09. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Beroemde Headbangers: Esther Ouwehand" (in Dutch). Lords of Metal - Ramon. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- "Uitslag van de Tweede Kamerverkiezing van 22 november 2006" (in Dutch). Kiesraad. 2006-11-27. Archived from the original on 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Huub Oosterhuis en Kees van Kooten populair" (in Dutch). De Volkskrant. 2006-11-27. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Frank Wassenberg tijdelijk Tweede Kamerlid voor de PvdD" (in Dutch). Parlement.com. 17 November 2015. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "E. (Esther) Ouwehand" (in Dutch). Parlement.com. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Ouwehand (PvdD) terug in Tweede Kamer" (in Dutch). de Telegraaf. 14 October 2016. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- (in Dutch) Election 2006 manifesto
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Esther Ouwehand.|