Etawah railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
|Location||Station Road, Etawah, Uttar Pradesh
|Elevation||154 metres (505 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||North Central Railway|
|Line(s)||Kanpur-Delhi section of Howrah-Delhi main line and Howrah-Gaya-Delhi line|
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
Etawah railway station is on the Kanpur-Delhi section of Howrah-Gaya-Delhi line and Howrah-Delhi main line. It is located in Etawah district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It serves Etawah and the surrounding areas. Etawah stands near the confluence of the Yamuna and the Chambal.
The East Indian Railway Company initiated efforts to develop a railway line from Howrah to Delhi in the mid nineteenth century. Even when the line to Mughalsarai was being constructed and only the lines near Howrah were put in operation, the first train ran from Allahabad to Kanpur in 1859 and the Kanpur-Etawah section was opened to traffic in the 1860s. For the first through train from Howrah to Delhi in 1864, coaches were ferried on boats across the Yamuna at Allahabad. With the completion of the Old Naini Bridge across the Yamuna through trains started running in 1865-66.
A 348.5 km (217 mi) long 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge line is being constructed from Guna to Etawah, passing through the Chambal valley. While the Guna-Gwalior and Gwalior-Bhind sections were completed in 1991 and 1991 respectively, the Bhind-Etawah section is incomplete as of 2013.
The Etawah-Mainpuri link is under construction, as of 2013.
The Kanpur-Panki sector was electrified in 1968-69, Panki-Tundla in 1971-72.
- "IR History: Early History (1832-1869)". IRFCA. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Allahabad Division: A Historical Perspective". North Central Railway. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Railways enter 159th year of its journey". The Times of India, 23 June 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Guna-Etawah rail line be completed: Jha". Web India 123, 25 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Guna-Etawah Rail Line". PIB Press release. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Guna-Etawah new broad gauge line project". Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Speech of Sh. Pawan Kumar Bansal introducing the Railway Budget, 2013-14 26th February 2013" (PDF). Annexure I, Item 13. Indian Railway. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
|Preceding station||Indian Railway||Following station|
|North Central Railway zone|