||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Ethan Jordan Bortnick|
December 24, 2000 |
Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA
Ethan Jordan Bortnick (born December 24, 2000) is an American pianist, singer, composer, songwriter, actor and musician.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 2.1 PBS National Television Concert
- 2.2 National Headlining Tour 2010/2011 (Musical Time Machine)
- 2.3 Concert in Las Vegas
- 2.4 2nd PBS Special - Ethan Bortnick Live in Concert: The Power of Music
- 2.5 Recorded album
- 2.6 Melody Street
- 2.7 Live performances
- 2.8 We are the World – 25 for Haiti
- 2.9 Radio/print
- 3 Discography
- 4 Tours
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Television and guesting
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Early life and education
Bortnick was born in Pembroke Pines, Florida. His parents, Hannah and Gene Bortnick, were born in Ukraine and are Jewish. Bortnick began playing a keyboard at the age of three and was composing music at age five. He has been featured on national and international television programs.
PBS National Television Concert
At 9 years old, Ethan became the youngest artist to have his own National PBS Concert Special. The special runs 60 minutes and 90 minutes.
Ethan made his PBS concert special debut with "Ethan Bortnick and His Musical Time Machine", part of PBS special programming, in August 2010 on PBS stations across the USA. Filmed at the historic El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles, "Ethan Bortnick and His Musical Time Machine" puts Bortnick at center stage as he delivers a trip through music’s history from classical to pop and many genres in between. Disco queen Gloria Gaynor joined Ethan for a rendition of her anthem "I Will Survive", while legendary trumpeter Arturo Sandoval accompanied him on the Louis Armstrong classic "What a Wonderful World."
Other performances included the Beatles favorite "Let It Be" and Bortnick’s rowdy take on Little Richard’s "Good Golly Miss Molly." He also introduced the crowd to some of his original compositions, including "Arctic Jazz," a song that delivers an inspirational message to a jazz swing, and "PBS You're The Best," a song which he wrote especially for the network.
In the DVD version of this special, Ethan interviewed Quincy Jones. Ethan spent an entire day with Quincy Jones, performing for him and asking him questions about music, life and the future. Quincy Jones stated, "Ethan’s imagination and ability to create music from stories is unbelievable. With such special talent and expressive piano playing, he’s sure to go all the way."
National Headlining Tour 2010/2011 (Musical Time Machine)
At the age of 10, Ethan is the youngest musician and entertainer to ever headline his own national tour.
Ethan created this 2 hour show himself, including the concept and the repertoire. The entire show (from start to finish) was led by Ethan playing, singing, story telling, answering questions, and emceeing the entire show himself.
Between October 5, 2010 and October 13, 2010 and then between January 14, 2011 - March 6, 2011, Bortnick headlined his own National Tour, performing 28 shows. Ethan's concerts covered music from different time periods, his own compositions, questions from the audience, composing of songs (using audience ringtones), and on-the-spot comedy. Each show was different. This tour was promoted by AEG Live.
The show received a 100% positive feedback rating on Ticketmaster, with reviews such as "Ethan is a true showman", "Genius", "Uplifting", "Fantastic", "Ethan is a wonder", "Fabulous", "Incredible, Funny, Inspiring for all ages."
18 concerts were sponsored by REMAX and the concerts benefited Children's Miracle Network. During the tour, Ethan stopped at local children's hospitals to perform for the kids who could not come and see him on his tour, due to illness. Ethan also donated proceeds from his CD and T-shirt sales to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and provided complimentary tickets to more than 100 children being treated at children’s hospitals and their families, in each city.
Some of the major cities that were included on this tour were New York in Times Square, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chicago Area, Atlanta, Houston, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, Portland, Raleigh, NC, Orlando, Hollywood, FL,
Some of the venues on this tour were Best Buy Theater, Cerritos Center, Keswick Theater, Belcourt Theater, Benaroya Hall, Paramount Theatre (Denver, Colorado), Midland Theatre, Royal Oak Music Theatre, Meymandi Concert Hall, Gwinnett Center for the Performing Arts, and many more.
Concert in Las Vegas
On July 22 and 23, 2011, Bortnick made history at the Las Vegas Hilton as the youngest headliner ever in Las Vegas, at ten years of age. The Las Vegas Hilton Theater has a rich history of presenting such legendary icons as Elvis Presley who performed 837 sold-out shows, Tony Bennett, Barry Manilow and Barbra Streisand. Bortnick made history again, performing 2 sold out concerts.
A review by the Las Vegas Sun said "Ethan Bortnick’s show at the Hilton (on Friday) night was history-making. It was a sold-out crowd, and there was so much heart and soul, plus energy felt from the audience. It was a spectacular night, 90 minutes of pure entertainment.”
Another review stated "...his performance was flawless..." and "Ethan's fingers seemed to fly across the piano's keyboard and the next moment after each number he got up to speak to his audience... Anyone who heard Ethan's music and did not know that the entertainer was only 10 years old would have thought he was an exceptionally talented adult pianist."
2nd PBS Special - Ethan Bortnick Live in Concert: The Power of Music
Presented by WTTW National Productions and distributed nationally by The National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA).
In August 2011, Bortnick recorded his first album in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The album was produced by Grammy award winning songwriter and producer Gary Baker, and his collaborators Matthew Craig and Rob Collier. The album is the soundtrack to the film Anything is Possible, where Bortnick plays the leading role.
Bortnick is the host of Melody Street, a 22-minute musical-variety-show for preschoolers. Bortnick and his five best friends, a band of animated musical instruments; Val Violin, Febe Flute, Timmy Trumpet, Heidi Horn and Sammy Snare, entertain kids with humor, songs, skits, interactive games, backstage dramas, celebrity musical guests, while teaching children about the beauty, joy and fun that stems from music.
On June 1, 2008, Bortnick performed a full concert with the Naples Philharmonic Orchestra, under the musical direction of Andrew Lane. He was 7 years old and was the youngest performer to ever perform as the piano soloist with the Naples Orchestra.
On October 4, 2008, Bortnick performed to raise money for the Miami Children's Hospital Foundation's Diamond Ball and Concert, featuring Beyoncé Knowles, Smokey Robinson, and Gloria Gaynor at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, FL. A record $12 million was raised for the Foundation.
On September 15, 2008, Bortnick became the youngest co-host for the Chabad Telethon. With Bortnick co-hosting this live telethon, seen by millions of viewers, the telethon raised a record $8 million in one night.
On October 23, 2008, Bortnick performed for OneXOne to help raise money to help fight hunger, health issues and preserve the lives of children locally and globally. Matt Damon held an auction at the event with Ethan and Josh Groban. Other performers and celebrities included Santana, David Arquette, Josh Groban, and Wyclef Jean.
On January 10, 2009, and January 11, 2009, Bortnick performed with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra under the musical direction of Andrew Lane. He was 8 years old and was the youngest performer to ever perform as the piano soloist with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra
On February 4, 2009, Bortnick performed at a fundraiser benefiting the Miami Children’s Hospital Foundation with chef Emeril Lagasse. Bortnick performed a song he wrote for Lagasse entitled "Bam — Kick It up a Notch" and presented the chef with the song’s lyrics.
On February 16, 2009, Bortnick performed in Sydney, Australia. The reaction and reviews were extremely favorable, with reviews stating "Within minutes Ethan... had the audience laughing with his wit and sense of timing.... He has a unique mix of charisma, talent and good sense of humour, and therefore it was phenomenal to see someone of that age able to play piano with such skill and also entertain the crowd.."
On March 3, 2009, Bortnick performed with his friend Mark Rivera, who has been a featured member of Billy Joel's band since 1982 and has toured the world with John Lennon, Peter Gabriel, Simon & Garfunkel, The Eagles, and was Ringo Starr's musical director. Bortnick and Rivera performed, the day after the kickoff of Billy Joel's and Elton John's Face-to-Face Tour. The performance was in an inner city school to inspire young kids not to get discouraged and find their special gift to the world. The reviews of this performance were as follows: "Ethan stole the show. He's not only an exceptional musical prodigy, but he's charming and self assured. He easily established a rapport with his audience and told jokes. He had the... school students spellbound with his charisma and poise.... After a few minutes on stage, I didn't think of him as a kid but a very short adult. His adult body language is uncanny.... It was amazing to watch him play with those tiny hands, stretching to form the chords. But he does it with ease and advanced facility with style."
On March 27, 2009 and March 28, 2009, Bortnick performed at Muhammad Ali's event to help raise money in the fight against Parkinson’s disease and other charities. This event was held over two nights. Bortnick performed both nights. Bortnick, after finding out about the event, composed and wrote a song for Muhammad Ali, entitled "The Champ". After performing the first night, Ali embraced Ethan and everyone began singing "The Champ" with Ethan on stage (unplanned). Forest Whitaker, Josh Groban, Reba McEntire, David Foster, Jordin Sparks and many others went on stage and sang this to Ali.
On April 27, 2009, Bortnick performed at a private event for George Davidsohn at the Fontainebleau Hotel backed by members of Billy Joel's band. Bortnick performed with Mark Rivera, Tommy Byrnes, Chuck Burgi, Andy Cichon, and David Rosenthal. Other performers that night included Howie Mandel and Katy Perry.
On September 13, 2009, Bortnick performed at a private dinner to help raise funds for OneXOne. In attendance were President Bill Clinton, Matt Damon, Elvis Costello and many others. At the event, President Clinton said, "Maybe if I get really lucky young Ethan Bortnick will play for me another song or two", which Bortnick did.
On September 16, 2009, Bortnick performed, as the sole entertainer, for the Annual Benefit Event of American Friends of Lubavitch, one of the premier evenings on the Washington Social calendar. Attendees included Ambassador Nancy Goodman Brinker,Congressman John Lewis, Senator Joe Lieberman, Senator Arlen Specter and many others. Reviews of Bortnick's performance said "... highlight of the evening was certainly the phenomenal entertainment by... Ethan Bortnick.... There wasn’t a dry eye in the house when he dedicated "God Bless America"...."
On October 12, 2009, Bortnick was the headline performer at Nokia Theater at LA Live. He is the youngest performer, at 8 years old, to headline his own show at LA Live. His almost 2 hour show was backed by members of Billy Joel's band. Bortnick performed with Mark Rivera, Tommy Byrnes, Chuck Burgi, Andy Cichon, and David Rosenthal. Over 4,000 people were in attendance. This event was sponsored by the National Association for Home Care & Hospice, and Ethan wrote a new composition for the group, which he performed, named "A Hug Song". The president of NAHC wrote a letter to Ethan with comments such as "..one of the best experiences of my life..", "your showmanship was second to none..","..could only be described as a tour de force..". The following day, as part of the NAHC events, Ethan dined with Colin Powell and a few other members of the NAHC.
On October 22, 2009, Bortnick performed for OneXOne to help raise money to help fight hunger, health issues and preserve the lives of children locally and globally. Ethan opened the show for such musical acts as Josh Groban, Santana, and Snow Patrol. During Ethan's performance, he dedicated a song he wrote, called "It's for the Kids". Others that enjoyed Ethan's performance were Charlize Theron, Jeremy Piven, Mia Hamm, Laila Ali and many more
On October 24, 2009. Bortnick opened for Josh Groban at a private event in San Francisco. Ethan performed for 45 minutes and then Josh performed.
On August 1, 2010, Bortnick performed live at the historic KCET studios during the pledge drive.
On November 17, 2010, Bortnick performed in Sao Paulo, Brazil to a sold out crowd. Reviews were phenomenal in all Brazil media, including reviews such as "... the 9 year old piano prodigy Ethan Bortnick won the audience from the first moment, acting, playing and singing by himself.."
On November 27, 2010, Bortnick performed with Ben Folds and the Nashville Symphony to help raise funds for the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. Ben Folds said, "Yes, Ethan has perfect pitch and photographic memory, has performed with some of the worlds finest, has a repertoire of over 200 songs as well as his own compositions all at the age of nine. But more than that I am struck by is his spirit – his natural wisdom and ability to inspire both musically and personally."
On December 9, 2010, Bortnick performed at the Haim Saban's IDF Fundraising dinner in Beverly Hills, opening for David Foster and Andrea Bocelli, with reviews that stated "But the most tender part of the night was when 9-year-old piano prodigy Ethan Bortnick took the stage to perform.."
On March 8, 2011, Bortnick performed at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas to raise money for the Remax and Children's Miracle Network Auction. He raised $105,000 in less than 10 minutes, auctioning off 3 private concerts to the highest bidders. This was a record amount for this event.
On May 28, 2011, Bortnick was one of the headliners of the 2011 Jacksonville Jazz Festival. He performed two, standing room only, headline shows at the festival. Other headliners included Natalie Cole and Herbie Hancock
We are the World – 25 for Haiti
On February 1, 2010, Bortnick became the youngest artist to record with some 70 artists, the song "We Are the World 25 for Haiti". This was the 25th anniversary of the original recording. Produced by Quincy Jones, Lionel Richie and others, this new recording will help the country of Haiti. Ethan, at age 9, was the youngest artist and recorded the song with the following artists Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Harry Connick Jr., Justin Bieber, Carlos Santana, Pink, will.i.am, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, LL Cool J, Robin Thicke, Akon, Rob Thomas, Wyclef Jean, Jeff Bridges, Vince Vaughn, Jordin Sparks, Good Charlotte's Madden brothers, Tony Bennett, Josh Groban, Snoop Dogg, Jennifer Hudson, Keri Hilson, Jamie Foxx, Tyrese, Katharine McPhee, Sean Garrett, Brandy, Melanie Fiona, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton, Jason Mraz, Busta Rhymes, Nicole Scherzinger, Nicole Richie, Julianne Hough, Raphael Saadiq, Zac Brown Band, India.Arie, Randy Jackson, Musiq Soulchild, Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, Fonzworth Bentley, Kid Cudi, Iyaz, Bizzy Bone, Nipsey Hussle, the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson and Al Jardine, Trey Songz, Faith Evans, Mýa and Gladys Knight.
The song premiered Friday, February 12, during the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Winter Olympics.
Bortnick has been interviewed by many local, national and international radio stations and newspapers/magazines. On December 20, 2008, Bortnick was a guest on the NPR's Weekend Edition program. Listeners wrote into NPR with comments such as "This interview was one of the most enjoyable of the year."
On February 12, 2010, Ethan was featured in Rolling Stone in an article titled "Preview the New "We Are the World," Plus Meet Nine-Year-Old Singer Ethan Bortnick"
On August 1, 2010 Ethan was featured in the LIFE section of the USA Today. With quotes such as "Ethan is as comfortable playing before a live TV audience in Hollywood, Calif., as he is noodling on his piano at home in Hollywood, Fla..... The little boy with the grown-up talent seems happily adjusted to his double life. Elfin, cheerful and self-assured, Ethan tackles music with fervor and focus."
- Anything Is Possible
- Blow a Kiss to the Moon
- It's All About Music
- It's a Miracle
- We're All Family
- That's Not Me
- Everything's Gonna Be Alright
- Looking Up to You
- 2010: Ethan Bortnick and His Musical Time Machine
- Rondo Alla Turca
- What a Wonderful World
- Good Golly Miss Molly
- Puttin' On the Ritz
- PBS, You're the Best
- The Champ (dedicated to boxer Muhammad Ali)
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Arctic Jazz
- You Raise Me Up
- The Hug Song
- Valse in C# Minor
- Circle of Life
- Waltz for Debby
- Wind Beneath My Wings
- I Will Survive
- Behind The Scenes (bonus)
- Mr. Quincy Jones interview (bonus)
- 2008: Sun and Sky
- 2015 - 2016: The Power of Music
- 2010 - 2011: Musical Time Machine
- 2013: Anything is Possible
Television and guesting
- 2015: Ethan Presents Himself/Host
- 2014: The Power of Music Himself/Host
- 2010: Fox and Friends Christmas Special Himself/Guest
- 2010: The Fran Drescher Show Guest/Performer
- 2010: The Wendy Williams Show Guest/Performer
- 2010: Ethan Bortnick and His Musical Time Machine Himself/Host
- 2010: Melody Street Himself/Host
- 2009 - 2012: Canada AM Guest/Performer
- 2009: Yo Gabba Gabba (Nickelodeon show) Himself/Guest
- 2009: Mornings with Kerri-Anne (Australia) Guest/Performer
- 2008 - 2011: The Oprah Winfrey Show Guest/Performer
- 2008: Little Einsteins on Disney Channel Himself/Guest
- 2007 - 2010: Good Morning America Guest/Performer
- 2007 - 2009: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Guest/Performer
- 2007: The Martha Stewart Show Guest/Performer
- 2007: Inside Edition Guest/Performer
- 2007: Access Hollywood Guest/Performer
- 2007: The Early Show Guest/Performer
Awards and nominations
Young Artist Awards
|2010||Ethan Bortnick||Outstanding Instrumentalist||Won|
|2011||Ethan Bortnick||TV Programs/Segments||Won|
On April 1, 2014 Ethan was presented with the Next Generation of Hope Award by the USO.
- Ethan Bortnick IMDB Page
- Local 10 – Local 6-Year-Old Piano Prodigy Performs Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Mini Musicians - Ethan Bortnick - Oprah.com
- Oprah.com – World's Smartest Kids
- Piano prodigy Ethan Bortnick tickles his fans - USATODAY.com
- Child Sensation Ethan Bortnick Makes His PBS Special Debut with ETHAN BORTNICK AND HIS MUSICAL TIME MACHINE - Press Release
- https://web.archive.org/20110210130451/http://triangleartsandentertainment.org:80/event/ethan-bortnick-and-his-musical-time-machine-feb-24/. Archived from the original on February 10, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2011. Missing or empty
- Child piano prodigy comes to Naperville - DailyHerald.com
- Young pianist Ethan Bortnick brings national tour to Shippensburg | PennLive.com
- Ethan Bortnick Piano Concert Series to Benefit Children's Miracle Network Hospitals | Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
- Gibson Press Release
- Photos: 10-year-old Ethan Bortnick headlines at Las Vegas Hilton - Las Vegas Sun News
- 10 year old Ethan Bortnick Headlining Show at Las Vegas Hilton - www.ktnv.com
- Show Review- Ethan Bortnick- the Youngest Entertainer, Musician, Performer and Composer - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
- EthanBortnick New Music Special to Premier on PBS
- "Melody Street" Creates Broadcast Magic for Kids with StudioGPU MachStudio Pro on Renderosity.com
- Nelly Furtado’s Tour Opened by a 6-Year-Old Boy
- Upcoming events at the Naples Philharmonic | fortmyers.floridaweekly.com | Florida Weekly
- Beyoncé Knowles Honored; Smokey Robinson, Gloria Gaynor and Ethan Bortnick Perform at "Party of the Year" @ SocialMiami
- $8,092,269 in Pledges at 28th Chabad Telethon! | CrownHeights.info – Chabad News, Crown Heights News, Lubavitch News
- Ethan Bortnick to Co-Host the Chabad Telethon! | CrownHeights.info – Chabad News, Crown Heights News, Lubavitch News
- https://web.archive.org/20090417075515/http://www.orlandophil.org:80/edu-darden.shtml. Archived from the original on April 17, 2009. Retrieved May 26, 2009. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/20090216155852/http://miamisunpost.com:80/archives/2009/02-12/021209the411.htm. Archived from the original on February 16, 2009. Retrieved May 26, 2009. Missing or empty
- 1500 attend Chabad Gala Dinner in Sydney | CrownHeights.info – Chabad News, Crown Heights News, Lubavitch News
- Ethan & Mark's Music Room Performance at J. Allen Axson Elementary School
- https://web.archive.org/20090403105024/http://www.alicenter.org:80/press/newsarchive/Pages/CelebrityFightNight.aspx. Archived from the original on April 3, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2009. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/20090510020105/http://www.sotheworldmayhear.org:80/gala/2009_index.php. Archived from the original on May 10, 2009. Retrieved July 14, 2009. Missing or empty
- COL חב"ד און-ליין | מפגש הפסגה בוושינגטון הניב תוצאות ● מיוחד
- 2009 Annual Meeting and Home Care & Hospice Exposition
- Charlize Theron Kisses For Charity Cash
- USA: Piano prodigy Ethan Bortnick shows off his ta | Standard View | Archive Footage | ITN Source
- https://web.archive.org/20100620105126/http://childrenmendinghearts.org:80/save_the_date_event.php. Archived from the original on June 20, 2010. Retrieved March 17, 2011. Missing or empty
- Ethan Bortnick | Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
- Yaakov Shwekey & Ethan Bortnick – Live In Concert [VIDEOS]
- Nashville Scene: Ben Folds
- Haim Saban, Andrea Bocelli add up to $9 million-dollar-night for FIDF | Jewish Journal
- Full 2011 Jacksonville Jazz Festival lineup released | jacksonville.com
- Hope & Cope fêtes 30 years
- Hudson, Dion, Vince Vaughn: Stars Stream Into We Are the World Taping | E! Online
- Ethan Bortnick: Accomplished Pianist At 7 : NPR
- Keyboard Magazine - May 2011
- Piano prodigy, 10, set to become Vegas' youngest headliner with Hilton show - Entertainment / Neon - ReviewJournal.com
-  Archived April 14, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Wendy Williams Show: Season 3 Episode 58 | LocateTV
-  Archived April 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Oprah Winfrey Show: Oprah Presents the World's Smartest Kids (2008 TV episode)
- TV Guide Little Einsteins hosts piano prodigy Archived September 20, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Child Prodigy Ethan Bortnick Wows on 'Good Morning America' - AOL Music Blog
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno: Episode #1.3366 (2007 TV episode)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno: Episode #1.3510 (2008 TV episode)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno: Episode #1.3611 (2008 TV episode)