|Born||20 March 1991|
Goondiwindi, Queensland, Australia
|Height||194 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||105 kg (16 st 7 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Centre|
As of 1 October 2019
Ethan Lowe (born 20 March 1991), also known by the nickname of "Lowey", is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays as a goal kicking second-row for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in the NRL
He played his first junior rugby league for the Goondiwindi Boars. Upon entering high school, Lowe moved to Toowoomba where he attended Downlands College and later St. Mary's College. While living in Toowoomba he played rugby league for Valleys Toowoomba.
After finishing high school, Lowe signed with the Sydney Roosters for the 2009 season. That year he played for the Newtown Jets SG Ball side and made his debut for the Roosters NYC team. Between 2009 and 2011, Lowe played 61 games and scored 19 tries for the Roosters under 20's team. In 2009, Lowe played for the Queensland Under 18's. In 2010, he was a member of the Junior Kangaroos squad, but did not play a game. In 2011, Lowe represented the Junior Kangaroos in a game against the Junior Kiwis.
In Round 12, Lowe made his NRL debut for the Cowboys against the Gold Coast Titans off the interchange bench, scoring a try in the Cowboys 31-12 loss at Cbus Super Stadium. On 5 August 2013, Lowe re-signed with the Cowboys for a further 2 years, keeping him at the club till the end of the 2015 season. Lowe played in 2 matches, scored 1 try and kicked 3 goals in his debut year in the NRL.
On 10 July, Lowe received a two match suspension from the NRL after being found to have placed a bet on an NRL matches. Lowe finished the season with him playing in 10 matches, scoring 3 tries and kicking 4 goals.
On 31 January and 1 February, Lowe played for the Cowboys in the 2015 NRL Auckland Nines. On 8 May, after establishing himself in the Cowboys' starting side, he re-signed with the club until the end of 2016. On 4 October, in the Cowboys' Queensland derby 2015 NRL Grand Final against the Brisbane Broncos, he started at second row in the Cowboys' historic golden-point 17-16 win. He finished off his premiership winning 2015 season having played in all the Cowboys' 28 matches, scoring 4 tries and kicking 8 goals.
On 12 January, Lowe was selected in the QAS Emerging Origin squad. In February, he played for the Cowboys in the 2016 NRL Auckland Nines. On 21 February, he was a member of the Cowboys' 2016 World Club Challenge winning side, starting at second-row in the side's 38-4 victory over the Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Stadium.
On 1 July, Lowe re-signed with the Cowboys for a further 2 years, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2018 season.
On 14 September, Lowe was ruled out for the remainder of the 2016 season with a spinal cord injury.
In January, Lowe was once again a member of the QAS Emerging Origin squad. Following a season-ending injury to regular goal kicker Johnathan Thurston, Lowe took over the role and finished as the club's top point scorer for the first time with 102 points in 28 games. On 1 October, Lowe started at second row in the Cowboys' 2017 NRL Grand Final loss to the Melbourne Storm, kicking a goal.
Lowe endured a difficult 2018 NRL season, being relegated to the interchange from his usual starting role in Round 3. In Round 7, he played his 100th NRL game in the Cowboys' 26-14 win over the Gold Coast Titans.
In Round 15, he was dropped to the Queensland Cup, playing for the Northern Pride. He played nine games for the side before earning an NRL recall for the final three rounds of the season. He finished the season with 15 NRL appearances and did not score a try or kick a goal for the first time in his career. On 16 October, the Cowboys' confirmed that Lowe had taken up his player option to remain at the club for the 2019 season.
On 26 February, Lowe was granted an immediate release from the final year of his contract by the Cowboys to join the South Sydney Rabbitohs on a one-year deal. In round 3 he scored his first try for the Rabbitohs in their 28-20 win over the Gold Coast Titans. On 26 June 2019 Ethan Lowe re-signed for the South Sydney Rabbitohs until the end of the 2021 NRL season. On 11 July Lowe made his debut for Queensland in Game 3 of the 2019 State of Origin series in place of the injured Matt Gillett. Although Queensland lost the series, Lowe impressed on debut, kicking four goals from four attempts and charging down a kick that led to a try to Josh Papalii.
Achievements and accolades
- 2015 NRL Grand Final: North Queensland Cowboys – Winners
- 2016 World Club Challenge: North Queensland Cowboys – Winners
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2018 season
|†||Denotes seasons in which Lowe won an NRL Premiership|
- "Ethan Lowe - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Upgrade system login | XenForo". Archived from the original on 26 December 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2016.<
- "Junior Rugby League News, Schoolboys rugby league news, nyc, toyota cup, nsw junior rep's". Ourfootyteam.com. 15 July 2008. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Under 16 & 18 Queensland Teams Named - Upper Ross JRLFC". Fox Sports Pulse. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130428192619/http://newtownjets.com.au/2009-gallery/2009-players-SGBall.php. Archived from the original on 28 April 2013. Retrieved 4 February 2016. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20151226015155/http://rleague.com/db/player/l/lowe_e/index.php. Archived from the original on 26 December 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2016. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20151226044433/http://rleague.com/forum/horse-racing/Queensland-Under-18-V-New-South-Wales_27473/. Archived from the original on 26 December 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2016. Missing or empty
- "Country Rugby League of New South Wales - The Country Rugby League's mission is to endorse, administrate, manage and cater for all involved with Rugby League Football throughout regional New South Wales". Crlnsw.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "11 NRL players feature in Junior Kangaroos". NRL.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Sea Swift Northern Pride - HOME". Northernpride.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- Ricketts, Steve (30 August 2012). "Luke Capewell wins Courier-Mail award for best and fairest in QRL". News.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Ulugia, Lowe sign with the Cowboys | NRL". Zero Tackle. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Titans v Cowboys : Live Coverage". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- Jim Morton (5 August 2013). "Intrigue over Bowen's Cowboy future". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "NRL News | NRL Ladder and Rugby League results | Scores, Tipping & Fixtures | NRL Scores| Rugby League| Live NRL Scores| NRL Fantasy". Theage.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "COWBOYS UNVEIL 2015 NINES SQUAD". Rugby League Week. 27 January 2015. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Cowboys re-sign Ethan Lowe | NRL". Zero Tackle. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Cowboys re-sign Ethan Lowe". Smh.com.au. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "NRL Grand Final 2015: North Queensland Cowboys outgun Brisbane Broncos to win premiership". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "NRL Grand Final Player Ratings". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Custom Match List". Rugby League Project. 25 October 2015. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Maroons name Emerging Origin squad". NRL.com. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "Cowboys name strong Nines squad". Rugby League Week. Archived from the original on 4 February 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "North Queensland Cowboys thump Leeds in World Club Challenge, James Tamou punched by Mitch Garbutt - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Cowboys re-sign premiership duo". July 2016.
- "NRL: Ethan Lowe spinal cord injury, Cowboys forward's recovery plan interview". 17 September 2016.
- "QAS Emerging Origin Squad". 8 December 2016.
- "Round 3 NRL team lists". 20 March 2018.
- "One team, one dream for Lowe's 100th". 19 April 2018.
- "High end to season for Lowe". 4 October 2018.
- "North Queensland forward Ethan Lowe says Cowboys love being written off". 20 April 2018.
- "NRL 2018: Transfer centre: Contract, signings for 2019". 15 October 2018.
- "Rabbitohs sign Ethan Lowe for the 2019 season". 26 February 2019.
- "Cowboys release Lowe". 25 February 2019.