June 6, 1989 |
|August 2, 2013, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 7, 2014, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|Earned run average||5.93|
Los Angeles Dodgers
Martin was drafted in the 1st round of the 2008 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers. He began his career with the Great Lakes Loons in 2009, when he was 6-8 with a 3.87 ERA in 27 games (19 starts). In 2010 with the Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino he was 9-14 with a 6.35 ERA in 25 appearances (22 starts). He began 2011 in the starting rotation for the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes but was moved to the bullpen in midseason and then promoted to Double-A with the Chattanooga Lookouts. Combined he was 9-7 with a 5.95 ERA in 37 appearances (12 starts) in 2011. In 2012 with the Lookouts, he was 8-6 with a 3.58 ERA and selected to the mid-season Southern League all-star team.
After being the "workhorse" of the Triple-A Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, Martin was called up to the major leagues to make his debut against the Atlanta Braves on August 2, 2013. He allowed 6 runs in 4 1/3 innings to take the loss in his debut. Martin earned his first Major League victory on August 8, 2013 with a 12-1 victory over the Cubs. He allowed one run over 5 innings. After seven starts in which he amassed a 2–4 record with a 6.90 ERA, Martin was sent to the bullpen. At that time, Phillies veteran pitcher Roy Halladay gave him a baseball card that showed the 2000 season in which Halladay posted a 10.64 ERA, encouraging Martin to understand even the best pitchers have rough spots.
Entering spring training in 2014, Martin was in major league camp, and was expected to compete for a spot on the major league roster, either as a starter or a reliever, however he left his first spring training appearance due to discomfort in his throwing shoulder – though in 2013 his fastball averaged 93.2 miles per hour (150.0 km/h), it reached only 85 miles per hour (137 km/h) during the appearance. He was outrighted off the 40 man roster on June 29, 2015. On December 11 2015 Martin signed with the Braves.
- "Five Lookouts to Play in SL All-Star Game". Chattanooga Lookouts News. Minor League Baseball. June 6, 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Dierkes, Tim (July 31, 2012). "Dodgers Acquire Shane Victorino". MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com. Tim Dierkes. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Deitch, Dennis (August 1, 2013). "Phillies call up rookie righty Ethan Martin". The Daily Times. Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Associated Press (August 8, 2013). "Ethan Martin picks up first MLB win as Phillies rout Cubs". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- Zolecki, Todd (September 6, 2013). "Sent to 'pen, Martin gets encouragement from Doc". phillies.com: News. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Zolecki, Todd (February 27, 2014). "Martin experiences shoulder discomfort, will see doctor". phillies.com: News. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved February 28, 2014.