Location of Ethete, Wyoming
|• Total||32.4 sq mi (83.9 km2)|
|• Land||32.4 sq mi (83.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,354 ft (1,632 m)|
|• Density||48/sq mi (19/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1588336|
Ethete is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fremont County, Wyoming, United States. The population was 1,553 at the 2010 census. The town is located on the Wind River Indian Reservation. It grew up around the Episcopal St. Michael's Mission.
Ethete is located at (43.018169, -108.744048).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 32.4 square miles (83.9 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there are 1,455 people, 342 households, and 298 families residing in the CDP. The population density is 44.9 people per square mile (17.3/km²). There are 367 housing units at an average density of 11.3/sq mi (4.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP is 4.95% White, 94.23% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.69% from two or more races. 2.06% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 342 households out of which 45.6% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% are married couples living together, 33.9% have a female householder with no husband present, and 12.6% are non-families. 11.4% of all households are made up of individuals and 1.8% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 4.25 and the average family size is 4.49.
In the CDP, the population is spread out with 40.5% under the age of 18, 12.4% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 17.3% from 45 to 64, and 4.9% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 23 years. For every 100 females, there are 105.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 95.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP is $24,130, and the median income for a family is $24,762. Males have a median income of $22,411 versus $25,179 for females. The per capita income for the CDP is $7,129. 34.4% of the population and 33.9% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 42.0% of those under the age of 18 and 29.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Frost, Nedward M. (1971). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: St. Michael's Mission". National Park Service. with accompanying three photos
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.