Ethiopian Catholic Archeparchy of Addis Abeba
|Metropolitan Archeparchy of Addis Ababa
|Ecclesiastical province||Addis Ababa|
|Metropolitan||Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel|
|Cathedral||Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary|
|Archbishop||Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Lisane-Christos Matheos Semahun|
The Archeparchy of Addis Ababa is the Metropolitan See for the Ecclesiastical province of Addis Ababa, or Addis Abeba, in Ethiopia. The Metropolitan Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel is the head of the Ethiopian Catholic Church and Primate of Ethiopia.
The Archeparchy had its roots in the Apostolic Prefecture of Abyssinia, formed in 1839 and based in Keren, removed from the jurisdiction of the Vicariate Apostolic of Syria, Egypt, Arabia and Cyprus. In 1847 the prefecture was raised to an Vicariate Apostolic and moved on March 25, 1937, to become the Vicariate Apostolic of Addis Ababa. On October 31, 1951, the vicariate was changed to an Apostolic Exarchate, establishing it as part of the Eastern Catholic Churches. It was made a fully independent diocese, on February 20, 1961, when it became a Metropolitan Archeparchy. The Eparchy of Emdeber was established on November 25, 2003 with territory separated from the archeparchy. In January 2015 Pope Francis detached the eparchies in Eritrea from the ecclesiastical province of Addis Abeba by erecting the new metropolitan church sui iuris of Eritrea. On the same day he established a new Ethiopian eparchy Bahir Dar-Dessie, which is a suffragan eparchy of Addis Abeba.
The seat is the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Addis Ababa
- Vicar Apostolic of Abyssinia of the Ethiopics (Ethiopia)
- St. Justin de Jacobis, C.M. (03/10/1839 - 07/31/1860) Titular see of Nilopolis
- Bishop Lorenzo Biancheri, C.M. (07/31/1860 - 09/11/1864) Titular see of Lagania
- Bishop Louis Bel, C.M. (7/11/1865 – 03/01/1868) Titular see of Agathopolis
- Bishop Jean-Marcel Touvier, C.M. (09/27/1869 – 08/04/1888) Titular See of Olena
- Bishop Jean-Jacques Crouzet, C.M. (08/01/1886 – 01/16/1896) Titular See of Zephyrium
- Vicars Apostolic of Addis Abeba (Ethiopic Rite)
- Apostolic Exarchs of Addis Ababa
- Bishop Hailé Mariam Cahsai (2/24/1951 – 02/19/1961) Titular See of Sozusa in Libya
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Addis Ababa
|Wikisource has the text of the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia article Abyssinia.|
- "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Addis Abeba". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "History". Catholic Eparchy of Keren. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "New Eparchy in Ethiopia, Metropolitan Church of Eritrea". Zenit. January 19, 2015. Retrieved January 19, 2015.