Chemical structure of ethyl caffeate
3D model (JSmol)
|Molar mass||208.21 g/mol|
|UV-vis (λmax)||324 nm and a shoulder at c. 295 nm in acidified methanol|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Ethyl caffeate is an ester of an hydroxycinnamic acid, a naturally occurring organic compound.
It is also found in Huáng bǎi, one of the fifty fundamental herbs of traditional Chinese medicine, also known also as Cortex Phellodendri, the bark of one of two species of Phellodendron tree: Phellodendron amurense or Phellodendron chinense.
Ethyl caffeate administered intraperitoneally in rats previously is able to prevent the dimethylnitrosamine-induced loss in body and liver weight, as well as to reduce the degree of liver injury. It can be considered as a promising natural compound for future application in chronic liver disease.
Pharmacophore modeling, molecular docking, and molecular dynamics simulation studies also indicate that ethyl caffeate is a potential inhibitor of the aldosterone synthase (CYP11B2), a key enzyme for the biosynthesis of aldosterone, which plays a significant role for the regulation of blood pressure.
- Chiang, Yi-Ming; Lo, Chiu-Ping; Chen, Yi-Ping; Wang, Sheng-Yang; Yang, Ning-Sun; Kuo, Yueh-Hsiung; Shyur, Lie-Fen (2005). "Ethyl caffeate suppresses NF-κB activation and its downstream inflammatory mediators, iNOS, COX-2, and PGE2in vitroor in mouse skin". British Journal of Pharmacology. 146 (3): 352–63. doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0706343. PMC . PMID 16041399.
- Wang, M; Ji, TF; Yang, JB; Su, YL (2009). "Studies on the chemical constituents of Phellodendron chinense". Zhong yao cai = Zhongyaocai = Journal of Chinese medicinal materials. 32 (2): 208–10. PMID 19504962.
- Boselli, Emanuele; Bendia, Emanuele; Di Lecce, Giuseppe; Benedetti, Antonio; Frega, Natale G. (2009). "Ethyl caffeate from Verdicchio wine: Chromatographic purification andin vivoevaluation of its antifibrotic activity". Journal of Separation Science. 32 (21): 3585–90. doi:10.1002/jssc.200900304. PMID 19813225.
- Luo, Ganggang; Lu, Fang; Qiao, Liansheng; Chen, Xi; Li, Gongyu; Zhang, Yanling (2016). "Discovery of Potential Inhibitors of Aldosterone Synthase from Chinese Herbs Using Pharmacophore Modeling, Molecular Docking, and Molecular Dynamics Simulation Studies". BioMed Research International. 2016: 1–8. doi:10.1155/2016/4182595. ISSN 2314-6133. PMC . PMID 27781210.
- Matsui, T (1981). "Greening pigments produced reaction of ethyl caffeate with methylamine". Journal of Nutritional science and vitaminology. 27 (6): 573–82. PMID 7334427.
|This article about a phenol is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|