This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Schuitema in 2010
|Born||Etsko Odilus Franciscus Schuitema|
7 April 1959
Klerksdorp, South Africa
|Residence||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Education||BA Social Anthropology (Honors) (1980)|
|Alma mater||University of Witwatersrand (1977–1980)|
|Occupation||Founder, Leading Partner, Author, Entrepreneur, Sufi|
|Children||Khalil Shuitema (born 1987)|
Assad Schuitema (born 1990)
Muhammad Schuitema (born 1994)
Salima Omland (born 2000)
|Awards||Chief of the South African Defense Force Commendation Medal|
|Website||Official Schuitema blog|
Schuitema Associates Website
Etsko Schuitema (born 7 April 1959), is the founder and Leading Partner of Schuitema Associates, a business transformation consultancy that is based in South Africa and Pakistan. An anthropologist by training, Etsko developed the Care and Growth Leadership Model while he was employed with the South African Chamber of Mines, which he left in 1989 to research and develop the framework further under Schuitema Associates. He is also a practicing Sufi
Background and education
Etsko Schuitema was born to Jurjen and Johanna Schuitema in Klerksdorp, a mining town in the North West province of South Africa. Both his parents were in the mining industry, and as such he had been exposed to the South African mining industry from a young age. Etsko's elder brother is Jerry Schuitema, a South African journalist, author and retired management consultant.
In 1980, Schuitema completed an Honours degree in Social Anthropology from the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa and in 1980 was subsequently employed by the Human Resources Laboratory of the South African Chamber of Mines as a researcher. In 1984, he led the research team to perform research on employee discontent.
The research was done during the peak of apartheid in South Africa. The gold mines were South Africa's biggest industry; with its workforce coming from all the ethnic tribes of the region and they reflected the problems that were plaguing South Africa during the apartheid regime.
The Chamber of Mines Research Organisation commissioned Schuitema and his team to find out what was causing employee conflict in the mines at the organisation. The survey instrument looked at variables that could account for employee discontent and mistrust towards the management.
Birth of Care and Growth Model & Schuitema Associates
What emerged from the research was that the variables and managerial behaviours that accounted for minimal work conflict, willingness at work, loyalty and trust towards the management were two: Care and Growth. It was found that the employees who felt the management was genuinely interested in their welfare as individuals and professionals, trusted their immediate supervisors significantly more than the men who believed the management had no interest in this regard.
From his research on conflict and trust in management, Schuitema believes that power only becomes legitimate where the leader benevolently exists to provide unconditional care, and fair and honest growth for his/her subordinates.
Schuitema Associates was subsequently founded in January 1990 and the Care and Growth Leadership framework was further developed. Schuitema promotes the importance of leadership in empowering employees through genuine care and the creation of growth opportunities and empowerment.
Schuitema gives lectures on the Care and Growth material on a regular basis at the Institute for Manufacturing at the University of Cambridge and the Gordon Institute of Business Science in South Africa.
Birth of Intent/Personal Excellence Model
Schuitema through his company Schuitema Associates also performs Personal Excellence courses. His clients for the Personal Excellence courses have included:
- Fergus Blackie, former Zimbabwe High Court Justice
- Dr. Michael Jordaan, chief executive officer of First National Bank
- Bob Tucker, former CEO of the South African Banking Council
- Miles Crisp, former member of the Deloitte & Touche South African executive committee and founding partner of Anderson Rochussen Crisp
- Dr Graham Edwards, chief executive of AECI Limited
- Mark Munroe, Executive Vice-President of Lonmin Platinum
- Dr. François Hugo, ex-HR Director, FirstRand Group
- Shahpur Jamall, Founder Member & Academic Director, [Bay View Academy Karachi & Emeritus Principal of SouthShore School
- Beyond Management (International Thompson Publishing – 1994).
- Leadership – The Care and Growth Model (Ampersand Press – 1998, Second edition – 2004, Third Edition – 2011 ).
- Intent – Exploring the Core of Being Human (Ampersand Press – 2004, Second Edition – 2011).
- The Millennium Discourses (Intent Publishing – 2010) .
- Ahmed, Adil (17 November 2005). "Developing Human Capital". The Dawn.
- Khan, Razia. "Etsko Schuitema". Daily Times. Retrieved 16 November 2008.
- Moneyweb, ZA. "The Human Touch". Moneyweb.co.za.
- Macleod, Guy (2002). Cultural considerations : a guide to understanding culture, courtesy and etiquette in South African business (1st ed.). Claremont: Spearhead. pp. 179, 180. ISBN 0864865317.
- "South Africa's Mining History". Gold Avenue. goldavenue.com.
- Byrnes, Rita M. (1996). "ed. South Africa: A Country Study". Ed. South Africa: A Country Study. South Africa. Washington: GPO for the Library of Congress (Employment and Labor). Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Kumar, Shiva (24 July 2008). "Etsko Schuitema at work". Gulf News. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- KRIEL, IGNATIUS GERHARDUS (November 2008). "DEVELOPMENTAL LEADERSHIP BEHAVIOUR AND AFFECTIVE COMMITMENT: AN EXPLORATIVE STUDY" (PDF): 21, 27, 119.
- Hollander, Allen. "Employee Engagement". Hollander Leadership Blog. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Illes, Katalin; Jim Platts (15 October 2006). "Trust is a Process. A New Direction in Business Education": 4–5.
- McCarthy, Debbie. "Key elements to becoming a leader". Training Leadership Consulting. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Mabili. "Transactional Leadership vs Transformational Leadership?". Retrieved 2010. Check date values in:
- Ramla, Akhtar. "ETSKO SCHUITEMA: INTENT – CARE & GROWTH". TBL – Triple Bottom-Line. TBL – Triple Bottom-Line. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Gray, Mark. "Lead with Care". Graylink. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- Harris, Howard; Katalin Illes (2008). "Promoting and Assessing Integrity in the Research Degree" (PDF). Electronic Journal of Business Ethics and Organization Studies. 2. 13 (9): 58.
- GIBS, Programme. "GIBS Programme". Gordon Institute of Business Science. Gordon Institute of Business Science.
- Science & Maths Schools, LEAP (2011). "LEAP 2011 Annual Report" (PDF): 14.
- Jordan, Bay. "A picture of employee engagement and how to create it". Zealise. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- Leader, SA. "FNB CEO, Michael Jordaan: The Sin of Averaging | Leader.co.za". Leader ZA. Leader ZA.
- "Regenesys ZA". Regenesys. Regenesys.
- "SecureData Board of Directors". SecureData.
- Mawson, Nicola. "SecureData appoints new CEO". ITWeb. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Roundup, Global Business. "Dr. Graham Edwards: CEO, AECI". Global Business Roundup. Global Business Roundup.
- Reuters, PLC. "People: Lonmin PLC (LMI.L)". Reuters. Reuters.
- Symphonia, Board. "Symphonia for South Africa | Community Leaders". Symphonia for South Africa | Community Leaders. Symphonia for South Africa | Community Leaders.
- SchoolSearchPlus, Pakistan. "Shahpur Jamall". SchoolSearchPlus. SchoolSearchPlus.